“ "Great Family Lunch"”

The Cherry Tree
Cuisines: Seafood, British, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: A delightfully light and open family run, charming country pub nestled in the little village of Ticehurst, with a fantastic south facing British garden and a great range of local beers and authentic wines coupled with a delicious, fresh and homemade menu and our wood fired pizza oven - the Cherry Tree is a wonderful place to treat yourself, your friends and family.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

My family and I have been looking for somewhere good to eat for our usual Sunday family lunches! Fortunately we came across this lovely pub/restaurant while driving through Ticehurst. We were greeted with smiles as we came in and were seated at a round table near the French doors looking out across the pub gardens which my mum loved! The place had a buzzing atmosphere and busy.
The food was perfect, modest portions and speedy service which always makes for a better evening. We were even lucky enough to meet the Chef Junior Twaite and he was a delightful young man who is clearly passionate about his food.

All 5 of us had 3 courses and were very impressed, we will definitely be going again.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed March 2, 2014

We came here after a stressful day and immediately felt relaxed and at home. The beer and the wine were good. Both our mains courses were delicious and well cooked, the star of the meal was the pudding. Chocolate fondant really put a smile on our face. Yummy.

2  Thank Mark B
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Gastropub as a description is both overused and unattractive, sounding like a snail's booze-up. So how to describe The Cherry Tree? It is like a french Auberge: family run, superb freshly prepared and cooked food, vastly superior beer, extremely informal but efficient service at a good value price. So refreshing to be where the instinctive answer to a customer's request is "Yes". Mine host made a good cheeseboard for our guest. It wasn't on the menu and no extra charge was made.
We are still purring from the Italian Night which was one of the very best four course meals I've ever eaten. Bellissimo!

2  Thank Ewhursts
Reviewed February 17, 2014

The family get together yesterday was made all the better by our choice of The Cherry Tree and it was chosen having read previous reviews about Sunday lunch and having driven past and seen how many cars are parked there from lunchtime through till at least 3.30 p.m. on Sundays. As a couple we have had several evening meals and enjoyed all of them, especially now the portions are more generous.

Anyway we were greeted in a very welcoming manner by a member of the team (? manager that day). The Sunday menu was wonderful and so difficult to make a choice but we eventually got there. We were assured that, despite booking the separate dining area, we would not be forgotten and we weren't. Each of us thoroughly enjoyed our delicious meal, both quantity, quality and service.

If pushed to be critical there are perhaps two things, one of which I have mentioned before: white table cloths on ALL the tables would make a huge difference to the general decor and give that feel of a restaurant rather than a pub with tables and these (in my opinion) should be replaced and tables set as they become vacant. The amuse bouche was unexpected and well received but, given that they were hot and not just a morsel, small plates and/or separate paper napkins would have been helpful.

However, all in all, each of us very much enjoyed our experience in the Cherry Tree. Please keep up the good work but please also take note of my comments. We are local and want the Cherry Tree to work for us personally, for the Twaite family who own (I believe) and run it, and for the residents of Ticehurst and beyond.

Nick T, Owner at The Cherry Tree, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. The tablecloth issue is a thorny one, we have tried it on a Sunday. The result was terrible, it took forever to remove the aftermath of small children from our white linen, so I decided to leave the tables bare on Sundays. The rest of the week we dress one end of the pub and any pre-booked tables in the rest of the building. I feel it gives people a choice and means one end is by and large quieter than the other, but I will ponder this again. As to the amuse, you are absolutely right we need to provide plates and will be doing so forthwith.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

But for now there's a bit of learning to do. It's hard to judge a place on valentines night as it was busy and doing a set menu. But the point of doing a set menu is to make things easy, and it didn't. What made the difference was the enthusiasm of the service and the new boss. I like what they've done to the place, and I like the menu. Great beer listing, and interesting wine selection. I'll definitely go again, and hope it's a bit less naive next time.