“Returning Surprise”

The Bell
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Ticehurst
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Bell is a truly quirky pub with rather marvellous rooms in the heart of the village of Ticehurst, East Sussex. Warm and comfortable with extraordinary events and intuitive hospitality, weddings and celebrations a bit of a speciality.
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Usually places never live up to the first experience but this place really surprised me. I returned with a group of friends after having a very good experience on my first visit. Naturally I told everyone that this place is fantastic and we had to go and then was waiting for the disappointment. NO dissapointment at all. Food, service, environment all impressed my friends. I left with a feather in the cap and a spritely step.
please enjoy this place.

1  Thank adhamT

Reviewed February 5, 2013

This is an extraordinarily brilliant re-opening of a tired old boozer. Such imagination has gone into the beautifully landscaped and statued exterior. I love old wood used as sculpture and furniture and there's real creativity here. I've photographed a lot of it, specially round the back of the pub, hoping to re-create it in my country house.
The interior is a bit shambolic, but the large separate function room is quite remarkably interesting and has the 'wow' factor. I aim to fashion some of my house on it.
What I strongly disapprove of is, on asking for a 'tab' as I planned to have more than one pint, staff demanded I hand over a bank card. 'Don't you trust your customers,' I asked, 'this is a Sussex village, not London.' Well, no they don't trust customers, as it was 'policy'. I'm not handing over my card with its security number plain for all to see. You see, I don't trust all bar staff.
Don't spoil all that hard work - your customers are sophisticated responsible people. Treat them as such. Doubt if I'll be returning for a while.

1  Thank Denimes
Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for just one night, to celebrate a birthday. Our room was clean and cool, great furniture and quirky details.

We had a nice lunch and a walk to a nearby reservoir. Really looked forward to our dinner in the restaurant, which is unfortunately where things started to go wrong.

We booked for 7.30. By 8.15 we still had our menus in front of us and no one had taken our drinks order. Finally I got up, asked for drinks and they came a little while later. I told the waiter I was ready to order food. Cue another 20 minute wait. Very hungry by now, I asked for some bread, which then came at the same time as the starter.

My goats cheese and mixed beets starter came, I ate some before I realised that the goats cheese was missing. I had to get up again to speak to a waiter (couldn't catch anyone's attention) to enquire. Apparently the chef had made me something that wasn't on the menu. By the time my starter had come back, my partner had finished his.

Our mains came as soon as our starter was cleared and were both really nice. That's the thing with The Bell, they have really great food but the service lets the place down.

There seems to be a lot of very young and very inexperienced restaurant staff. They aren't watching the tables and on more than one occasion were too busy chatting to realise anyone required their attention. Having to get up to ask for every element of our meal (drinks, bread, food order, pudding order) was unacceptable. It's a small village and I'd imagine that getting experienced quality waiting staff worthy of a place like The Bell is tricky. Perhaps the existing staff need better training?

The manager was very sympathetic and you can tell he really cares. Breakfast in the morning, hosted by the manager, was lovely.

I really liked this place and what they offer. With more experienced staff it could be perfect.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I am very lucky to live a few doors away from the bell. initially when it was to be re opened I had mixed feelings it was always a bizarre place with eclectic mix of people and now it was to be done up ... Would they take away all it's amazing quirky features, I am delighted to say it is even better than ever, a cool vibe, interesting decor, fab staff and always always great food. I have even stayed there ( a little strange to go away 10 feet from my home ) bit it was brilliant and breakfast was yummy.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Amazing decor and a really stunning room. My room was so cosy with a gorgeous free standing copper bath! All the decor is fab, with really interesting vintage bits and pieces throughout. I had a great nights stay here and the food in the restaurant was seriously good. Nice service too. Would defo recommend it.