“Luxurious rooms and golf too!”

Sedlescombe Golf Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Sedlescombe
Derbyshire
“Luxurious rooms and golf too!”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I recently stayed here on a 3 day Golf coaching course.

The hotel or "Lodge" as it's sometimes referred to as is quite frankly superb. Check in is painless and carried out at the main clubhouse. If you're on a Golfing trip then you'll also get a secure locker located in the entrance lobby of the lodge. Great as you don't need to leave your clubs in your car. The rooms themselves are large , clean, bright and modern with solid oak drawers and wardrobes.

The heating in the room is via an Air conditioning unit and once you've read the instructions all is good. Beds are super comfy with crisp sheets & lovely pillows. I had 3 great nights sleep as it's very peaceful there although the countless balls hit down the range and time spent on the chipping and putting areas may have been a factor in this!

Bathrooms are large with an actual bath with a shower attachment. Initially I thought I'd be wanting a shower each night but the bath was ideal for soaking away the achy muscles plus you can see the TV from it too.

All the food was of a top standard and staff very friendly. I had the fresh fish on the first night that comes direct from the market that day and it didn't disappoint. Second night I went for the Rib eye steak which was cooked perfectly and well worth the £23 paid for it. Breakfast was also tip top with all the ingredients sourced locally. I ate in "Greens" both nights but there were plenty of bar snacks available if you want something a bit less formal next door with a pool table and Sky TV.

As it's a hotel and Golf club there is a nice relaxed dress code but noboby was "Scruffy". Members were friendly too which is not always the case at some Golf clubs.

Unfortunately due to the weather the main course was closed during my visit but the Par 3 was open albeit a bit muddy!

To summarise it's a very smart hotel with top staff and I'll be looking to go back in the summer.

1 Thank pault1969

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Essex
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We had stayed in the South Downs park area and decided to treat ourselves to another night away. Managed to book one night B and B in a Queen room at a good price. Did the job nicely as evening food was served til about 9 ( I think) so gave us time to settle in. Nice room, nice staff, breakfast in morning was in clubhouse / restaurant area and available up til 11am which was lovely. We are not golfers but didn't feel we were in a " golf only" type enviroment all pretty chilled and friendly.Would recommend.Thank You.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 17, 2014

I want to say thank you to Dan. He was patient and understanding but also very firm about what was required to improve my golf swing. The before and after videos really highlighted the changes. The folder which I was given to take home showed all the lessons together with pictures from the video; so no excuse not to remember everything I had learned. It really helped that I went with a friend as we could discuss the lessons and most certainly helped in the understanding of the mechanics of a golf swing. It was unfortunate that the course itself was closed due to the incessant rain but this did not affect our enjoyment of the trip. We drove down to Hastings and had tea and maple syrup pancakes in a café overlooking the seaside; with not a seagull in sight as the weather was so bad! My hotel room was most comfortable - clean and spacious with a large bathroom. Breakfast and dinner was of a very high standard. Thank you to all the staff too; everyone was extremely friendly, polite and helpful!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Well, just back from a two day full Advanced course. All i can say is fantastic!

Had mixed weather, 60mph winds and rain Saturday, and Sunday was clear skys and no wind, have to love the english weather....although this didn't rouine my experience. Indoor video, covered driving range, and when the rain stopped a great short game area and putting greens.
My PGA pro, Tom, was great. Lots of knowledge of the game and had fixed my swing in what seemed 5 minutes. The main course was closed due to the weather, but we still managed a round on the par-3 course, which is alot harder than any i have played with small greens and tight pins.

The hotel was very nice, good rooms, comforable bed and a big bath....a must after hitting 1000 balls a day! The food in the Greens restaurant was very nice and well priced.

Overall great weekend, and would recommend to anyone wishing to improve their golf, from begginner to Advanced, you will see a difference.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Having been to Sedlescombe last August, I was delighted to return in February on a two for one, 2 day deal, with a friend. We are experienced golfers, and were pleased to find just the two of us on our advanced course. Our pro patiently showed us our faults with lots of use of the video, and helped us find the positions needed for consistent golf. He even found the videos from my previous visit for comparison. Day 1 was all basic swing, and day 2 saw us tackle pitching, chipping and putting. We received every encouragement from our pro, and made good progress, and felt inspired and keen to put it into practice on our home courses.
Incredibly wet weather meant we didn't play any golf in the afternoons. Instead on Day 1 we drove to Hastings and found a great little tea shop, looked round the fishing museum, and watched an intrepid surfer. Back at the hotel, our rooms were very comfortable, with good heating, huge baths, comfortable beds. I had ordered fresh skate for supper (order your selection at lunch time and they get it from Hastings, sea to plate in 8 hours), which was delicious, as was the soup starter and creme brulee dessert. There was a choice of good value wine. We liked the informal but professional catering. Breakfast was excellent too.
All the staff were helpful, friendly, and nothing was too much trouble. They even got my 22 year old car started on the last day when there was a problem. Thank you all, I look forward to coming back soon!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 8, 2014

Fantastic experience. The teaching was great - and the right balance of group size. Both beginners and intermediate. The service from all staff was outstanding - restaurant, bar, coaches etc. food was great - lovely breakfasts, and well priced and good quality lunch/dinner. Good club house with pool/darts/table football. Accommodation absolutely fine, nice clean and well set up - the only thing missing was a shower. Though the bath was very nice! Really good value for money January weekend.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Hi
I have just returned from a golf coaching weekend.
Fantastic value for money.
Hotel ,Food ,Service ,Coaching excellant.
Very pleased with the service and friendly staff.
My thanks.
I am hoping to return next year with my son as the coaching made such a differance to my confidence.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sedlescombe
Claverton Country House Hotel
#4 of 5 in Battle
The Mermaid Inn
The Mermaid Inn
#1 of 9 in Rye

Been to Sedlescombe Golf Hotel? Share your experiences!