“Great set up, Fabulous stafff”

Sedlescombe Golf Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Sedlescombe
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Two half days and overnight stay with my son looking to establish some pointers in how to improve our game.
Firstly, the staff are really excellent. Nothing is too much trouble. The set up is dedicated to providing the opportunity to improve your golf, and the facilities are good. The Par 3 course is a great challenge, and the 18 hole course more forgiving.
The golf instruction was excellent. Incremental changes, and building upon them. We were particularly impressed with the putting and short games work. The techniques and tips were invaluable.
The food in the club house restaurant was excellent. A really good end to your day, or to grab a lunch between rounds / tuition.

Overall , a relaxed place, where you're made to feel at home immediately. You receive excellent treatment no matter what your standard.

We were impressed.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank howard j

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I have just completed a 3 half days beginners golf course at the James Andrews School of Golf at Sedlescombe - staying 2 nights B&B.

I stayed with a friend and there were 3 of us on the course. We were all complete beginners and with only three of us the instructor was able to spend time to give each of us personalised advice and guidance throughout. The pace and outline was ideal starting with putting and chipping through driving, sand bunkers, video, golfing rules and etiquette, and ending with a round with the instructor on the 9 hole par 3. I am glad that we did three half days as full days would have be far too tiring and there wouldn't have been time to practice on the par 3. Who'd have thought that playing golf would be tiring! Friends and family suggested buying sessions with professionals at local golf courses but as a beginner I felt that I wanted something that gave me the whole package and not just an hour on the driving range.

The location couldn't be better and the facilities seem ideal - with putting greens, driving ranges, practice bunkers, a 9-hole par 3 and 18-hole - we didn't venture onto the 18-hole, the 9-hole was challenging enough for beginners. We were blessed with glorious weather - had it been cold and raining I may have had a different report.

The bedroom was very spacious and well-equipped. The only negative point was that there wasn't a shower. The bath had a shower attachment but it isn't the same.

The facilities were very good and all the staff were very friendly and helpful. There was wifi in all the buildings, the restaurant and bar were comfortable and well stocked and the food was excellent; there was opportunity to order in fresh fish for the evening. The golf shop was well laid out and from my beginner's eyes seemed well stocked.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Gem of a place. Great rooms, decent size and clean & comfortable.
Staff all very helpful and friendly going above and beyond to make stay enjoyable.
Fresh local seafood ordered by midday and cooked to perfection for dinner, amazing.
Golf course was far far better than I was expecting and a real joy to play with challenges for all standards.
Will 100% be going back.

1  Thank Tregony
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Rooms beautiful and clean, high quality furnishings, lovely bathroom, an outstanding stay. Breakfast was perfection. Excellent local food very well cooked and friendly professional staff. To be honest it was faultless. Flackley Ask is our usual hotel when we stay here, but they are becoming tired through lack of investment, and arrogant by comparison! we would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tony01UK
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My wife and I along with my sister and her husband stayed 2nights, 3 of us had 2 half day golf lessons and my wife was there for the tennis.

Rooms
The rooms we stayed in were very clean, spacious and well equipped with a large comfortable bed, great value for money.

Restaurant
All the food (breakfast, lunch and dinner) we eat was of an extremely high standard and is sourced locally. The halibut we had for dinner was the best fish we have tasted anywhere, our compliments to the chef and his team. If we lived closer we would regularly want to eat in this restaurant. We were lucky with the weather and enjoyed eating our meals on the patio area enjoying the sunshine. We must make a special mention about Sam. Sam who looked after us is an extremely professional and an absolutely superb host with great personality and enthusiasm who really made us feel welcome and at home. Even though Sam was very busy she made time to talk to us, she told us about the fresh fish that she could order for our evening meal, nothing was too much trouble for her.

Golf School
Daniel Crichton-Coote was very professional and patient with all members of our group. We thoroughly enjoyed our lessons and would recommend Daniel to anyone who requires the services of a golf teaching professional.

One criticism I do have is that there was a large number of groups/people having lessons that weekend and this lead to competition for resources such as the video room (we spent a much shorter time here that I did the last time we stayed and had lessons), bays and chipping area.

Tennis
When we booked our weekend break I explained that 3 of the group of 4 would be having golf lessons in the morning, my wife Svetlana wanted to have 2 x 2 hour tennis lessons on the Saturday and Sunday mornings. I tried to book tennis lessons (as I had done on our previous stay) with James Andrews but was told that this had to be done by contacting the tennis club directly. The tennis clubs web site http://sedlescombeltc.co.uk/ was emailed to me, the coach I initially contacted (from the telephone numbers on the tennis clubs web site) said she did not work there anymore and gave me George’s number. George very kindly rearranged his diary but unfortunately could only give Svetlana lessons on the Saturday morning. Thank you George for all your efforts Svetlana really enjoyed the lesson.

On hearing that Svetlana was not going to be able to play tennis on the Sunday morning because there was no one available to give Svetlana a coaching lesson Sam managed to arrange for Ben a one of the chefs who is a keen tennis player (thank you Ben) to play tennis with Svetlana on the Sunday morning.

James Andrews needs to take a more proactive role and offer a better service in organising tennis lessons for those who are not golfers rather than just send and email containing the tennis clubs web site. So make sure you book your tennis lesson well in advance.

Over all we had a great time.

1  Thank PDG19
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed 2 nights for 2 full days golf tuition. The golf tuition is really good and huge progress was made but I would like to rave about everything else! The rooms are gorgeous (we upgraded to a king) huge, clean room over looking the golf course. The food is amazing, local produce, cooked to perfection, daily changes to menu. The atmosphere is so chilled it feels like home and the staff are fantastic. Friendly, welcoming, efficient - nothing is too much trouble. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel/golf school.

Room Tip: Room 6 is a massive king room with own terrace overlooking the golf course
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights. It exceed our expectations in a number of ways. Firstly, the staff were without exception very friendly and helpful. The Golf amenities - including the two courses, driving range and numerous putting greens were all excellent. (Note the par 3 course is actually very tricky - it's not a pitch and putt). The room was large, clean and comfortable.
But the biggest (and very pleasant) surprise was the quality of the food. We were expecting the usual golf fare - burgers, club sandwiches and the like. Although these are all present and correct, both the breakfast and particularly the dinner menu were of a very high standard indeed. The chef clearly has a lot of skill with numerous and varied dishes of real finesse and quality.
We will certainly return - Highly Recommended

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sedlescombe
Claverton Country House Hotel
#1 of 1 in St Leonards-on-Sea
George Hotel
George Hotel
#5 of 5 in Battle

Been to Sedlescombe Golf Hotel? Share your experiences!