“Lovely looking pub”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Star Inn

Star Inn
Ranked #7 of 21 Restaurants in Pevensey
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Scenic view, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“Lovely looking pub”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

There are some lovely gardens surrounding this pub - from the front there's a large garden with lots of picnic tables then you go over a bridge to another garden area, again with lots of picnic tables and a very large childrens play area which is mostly fenced in but no gate to go into it. The water is fenced off, so completely safe for children.

They allow dogs in the garden too - we took ours and a couple of others were there too.

Hubby had the lamb shank - nice and large but not as good as others we've had, it came on top of mashed potato - but not enough for hubby's liking. There was a separate dish with 3 veg in which were peas, carrots and red cabbage - which had sultanas in it!

I had the chicken cacciatore - it needed a lot of salt, there's none on the tables, so you have to go in to the pub to find sauces etc - in the sauce were tomatoes, black and green little olives - which helped to give a lot of flavour - but it was swimming in oil and the chicken breast was very dried out. It came with saute potatoes with rosemary - which still had their skins on.

We weren't overly impressed so didn't bother with desserts.

Hubby had a fosters lager with his and I had a diet coke.

The prices seem very high for what you get - the lamb shank was £13.95 and the chicken was £10.95.

We won't be going back and I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

There is a large car park to the side of the hotel - which you can walk straight into the back garden area where the children's play area is.

There are no other type of tables apart from the picnic ones with benches attached and they are lots of them - so some parents had difficulty getting through with pushchairs to the childrens play area.

• Visited August 2012

Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Nice carvery”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

3 adults and 1 child had the carvery, beef a bit tough but turkey was good ( not enough of it tho') three desserts and a cheese & biscuits, with drinks about £60, we were late in but still plenty of veg, peas, carrots, red & white cabbage, new pots and the best roasties I've had in a while, didn't witness evidence of bad hygiene, waitresses very attentive, albeit didn't know what each other was doing!

• Visited October 2012
Derbyshire England
“Once was enough”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We'd been recommended this place by the people at the local camp site.

So we went, early evening after our return from a day in the Sussex countryside.
The Star is down a narrow country road - what seems a long way down this road.

We were looking forward to our meal, after the build-up, and, oh what a disappointment. . ..

Bangers and Mash, for one meal, and Lamb for the other. Traditional enough and hard to get wrong, you'd think.

"How would you like the Lamb?" we we asked.
"Pink" replied my wife. And pink she got. A bit too pink really, but there was a lot of it, so cutting round the outside left enough to eat, and because there was a lot of it, it wasn't really a problem, but we felt they'd took us a little too literally with this order - so a tip is "be careful what you ask for".

My Bangers and Mash came in a big Yorkshire pudding, swimming in gravy. The sausages were a disappointment - sourced locally, apparently, but I suppose it depends on what you like - like, I didn't.

We shared a chocolate brownie, with ice cream and the bill, with a diet coke and a pint of speckled hen was just under £35.

Not robbery, but we didn't walk away feeling content.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Tilchestuners
“Lovely place for the family”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I stay at the local campsite every year with my wife and kids just like I did with my parents when I was a boy. And I always take my family to the star inn for lunch. The large choice of food is excellent. I had the paella and my wife had the cod which were both superb. The staff are very friendly and welcomingand the service couldn't be knocked. The atmosphere is always buzzing outside in the sunshine where the kids can run around in the play area. My family and I rate this pub 10/10 and we will deffently be back.

sussex
“Bit crusty inside but fantastic carvery!”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Just been her for a Sunday carvery on a 2 for 1.
Inside is a bit sad and the table was sticky, but the service was good and the food was delicious!
It was the best pub Sunday lunch I have had, roast potatoes cooked to perfection!
If you want a good old roast to blow away the cobwebs, without having to make any effort with your dress or your make up, then this is the place.
We will be back for more of those roasties!

• Visited September 2012