“Can't really fault our Sunday lunch”
Review of The Middle House

The Middle House
Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in Mayfield
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 13, 2013

While the building is really very old and historically interesting, it's the food that makes it. We had a Sunday lunch here in the restaurant section, and it has to be said that it was really very good. Service was great, and it was pretty good value. It was busy too, which is usually a good sign, but would say you really have to book this place.

1  Thank david h

Reviewed October 12, 2013

We wanted to celebrate my birthday, we arrived in the lounge where we were told to wait in the lounge area which was full of flies we ordered our drink and when it came we could not take it any more and moved into the restaurant,once our food arrived i was very disappointed with my steak preparation and quality! Chips were far worse than fast food type quality i.e greasy.I went to this restaurant due to it reviews and I was disappointed with food chooses,quality and preparation .I have to be fair and say that their desert of the day which I ordered was very nice but that would not make me to go back there.

1  Thank Kayvan0
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Visited here for a celebratory meal & was not disappointed. Lovely traditional period decor. Food was faultless. Attentive staff. Atmosphere was slightly lacking.

1  Thank Alan G G
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Ok, i have never written a review, BUT, today i just have to. This was the weekend of my Wife's 40th birthday and I wanted to take her out for a nice Sunday meal with her parents and our 3 kids. A couple of my mates told me about this place, so trusting their judgement, this is where we went. First of all, we turned up with the three kids and walked in to just a a nice cosy atmosphere, which made us feel welcome immediately. While we were waiting for the parents we got a drink, and was asked if we were eating. I explained that we were just waiting on another two but ideally wanted a table in the bar (for the atmosphere). We was offered a table in the restaurant, which in all fairness looked great, but a bit quit. We decided to wait until a table became available in the bar. The inlaws turned up, and it wasn't long before we had a table. Everybody seemed happy, and I think it's just because the whole place just gives you such a strong "feel good" factor. The specials on the board we're great, the menu was great. Locally produced food aswell, which is always great. Kids meals are always a slight concern when we go out, but not this time. Under £6, and they looked fantastic (clean plates at the end aswell). It was nice to know that the chef takes as much care in every single meal they do. I ordered the three roast dinner and it was amazing, the Mrs had the Rib of beef and it was amazing, the father in law had the liver and bacon and the mother in law had the pork, and they both said it was fantastic (that says a lot, trust me). My boy had the chilli with Nacho's, what a stunning dish, you have to see it to believe it, and under a tenner. The service was incredible, fantastic to be honest. I actually felt like I was being treated like a food critic from the moment I walked in there. The puddings looked like something you see on masterchef. It was all just quite incredible. I live less than 6 miles away from this place and I have never been in there. I always thought it would be very costly, very snooty, and the sort of place where you only go for the name as opposed to the food. This place was incredibly friendly, brilliant service, incredible food, incredible presentation, value beyond belief. Thankyou to everybody there for just a fantastic afternoon.

2  Thank Steve H
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Enjoyed our meal recently. Bar menu looks good but as going later and busy bar, we booked a table in the restaurant. We all decided to miss starters, enjoy mains and share puddings. Worked well.

Will return and would be good if we can go earlier and enjoy meal in bar.

Liked restaurant except the chairs. Very odd and look really out of place. Oldy worldy pub with dark panelling that has contemporary high back light wood chairs........stood out for me but could ignore them to return for good meal!

1  Thank ske