“All that glitters is not gold”

The Boship Lions Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lower Dicker
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Well. Where do I begin? Having stayed in the hotel before a few years ago, my expectations weren't great to begin with. However as we couldn't get into any other hotel in the area and needed somewhere closeby for a family event we booked the Boship and reserved the last two available rooms (7 & 9).
It was immediately apparent that there had been a substantial amount spent on the car park, gardens and grounds. Indeed upon entering the building I thought maybe there might have been investment inside too. I was wrong. It is true to say the grubby carpet had been replaced with a very cheap laminate in some of the public areas. It is also true that the bar area has been redesigned. Now instead of comfy chairs there are solid wood benches the length of the room and the chairs changed for conference type furniture.
The bedroom was incredibly poor to say the least. It reminded me of a grubby B and B in Blackpool. The peeling wallpaper was stained where the roof had leaked. You couldn't use the wardrobe because of the smell in it. We didn't use the tv, kettle, trouser press or telephone for fear of being electrocuted. There were no pat tests on anything.
And then there was the en suite bathroom. Whoever for one minute ever thought aquamarine sanitary ware matched pink wall tiles must have had eyesight difficulties. Even 40 or 50 years ago when the bathroom suite was fitted the colours must have clashed! The extractor was filthy but I've no idea why as it didn't work anyway. The floor was dirty as there was a leak from the toilet.
Need I go on? Oh yes the door to the room didn't shut properly, and you could hear everyone coming up and down the creaking stairs!
Breakfast was ok.
As we left we had a look at the animal statues in the grounds. Strange to say the least!!
I wonder if anyone can explain why the bronze stag in the centre of the car park has had the honour of having his tackle painted gold!?? Bizarre!

Room Tip: Book the travel lodge across the road.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Thebrookster3669
GULZAR2011, Front Office Manager at The Boship Lions Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank You for taking the time to comment on The Boship Lions Farm Hotel.

The Lions Group have recently taken over The Boship, we have an ongoing refurbishment plan taking place. We are wanting to bring the standards of the Boship up to the others of the Lions Group based on the Eastbourne Seafront.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Another hotel run by the legacy group. We managed to get a package deal with the legacy group, which included breakfast. Again this hotel was a bit dated, but was great value for money. The hotel was in lovely grounds, the staff were very friendly & the breakfast was very good to.

Room Tip: Get a suite its worth it.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
GULZAR2011, Head Receptionist at The Boship Lions Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

We Thank You for taking the time to write about The Boship Lions Farm Hotel.

We were a Legacy Hotel, now the Hotel is part of the Lions Chain. We are very pleased to hear that you have had a good stay with the Hotel.

Should you wish to come again and take advantage of our special offers and promotions, please do not hesitate to call 01323 748700 to speak to Central Reservations.

The Boship Lions Farm Hotel

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We have used the Boship Farm Hotel for fifteen years, so I do believe that we know what we are talking about. During that time the hotel was starting to look tired and needed a lot of refurbishment. Luckily at the end of 2012 the hotel was bought by The Lions hotel group of Eastbourne, so we hoped that there would be investment in the hotel. Well we didn't have to wait long as work started within a couple of days of the purchase. Obviously I guess it is impossible to tackle all areas of a hotel at once but within weeks we have seen complete re-flooring and redecoration of the restaurant and function suites and to a very high standard. The grounds of the hotel have had masses of attention with an old mudded up lake turned into a beautiful carp lake. Whilst the statues of animals around the grounds may not be to everyones taste so what at least they are fun.
We have also seen workmen renovating the bedrooms and other areas of the hotel - but remember Rome was not built in a day and I guess rightly the public areas were redone first and then the bedrooms. As a regular user of the hotel I can assure anyone considering a stay here this hotel represents good value but like any major project it doesn't happen overnight. Its work in progress but from what we have seen in 8 months that progress is happening fast. You will always get petty remarks on trip advisor from people with niggles that they let fester. I know also that bad reports are sometimes posted by aggrieved ex employees of hotels so it pays to read between the lines. I am not an exployee or anything to do with The Lions hotel just a regular customer who feels that the truth should be told and in a day and age of cut backs and recession I think it is great to see someone like Mr Gulzar who is prepared to put large sums of money into a local project like this.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank David190766

Dear Guest,

We Thank You for taking the time to write about the Boship Lions Farm Hotel.

We have an ongoing refurbishment plan in progress within the Hotel including both the exterior and interior of the property. We are pleased to hear that you like the changes that are happening within the property.

We look forward to welcoming you to The Boship for another 15 years!

The Boship Lions Farm Hotel

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We were in the area for a family event and couldnt get in to any other hotel. That should have been our first clue! The room was extremely hot. You couldn't sleep due to the heat. (Room 47) Staff were not interested. Other family members were in a different family rooms and the room temp was fine. The shower drizzled at best and a simple shower took twice as long! The water was cold, but I suppose due to the room temperature it was a blessing. The bath panel was rotten and was a health and safety risk! There were no nets in the windows so you had no privacy. The window frames were screwed together so in room 42 you couldnt even open the window! (thank goodness there wasnt a fire. will be informing fire service for next inspection!)The dining room smelt of wet dog and the it was clear from the carpet in the dining room that a wet dog had in fact been in the dining room! (I am a dog owner and have nothing against dogs, but in the dining room!) Breakfast was advertised as being between 8am and 10am. However, nothing was ready at 8. This was proberly due to the hostess arriving at 8am and setting the light speed record through the car park! The staff eventually provided toasters to make toast but there was no where to plug them in until they eventually got an extension cable. However, it only toasted on one side. The public toilets in the reception area didn't have any paper towels so one was forced to use toilet roll. There were so many other things. I was impressed as I drove into the car park and approached the front door but then as I moved further through the hotel my hopes dwindled. I am sure in the 1960s or 1970s this hotel was the bees knees. However, in my opinion it needs updating and there are health and safety issues. We will not be returning. Good luck if you have the misfortune to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Mergarland
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Where do I begin:, the rooms are in deperate need of refurbishment, the night porter offered me outside....and the fire door exit was chained closed so in the event of a fire you would not get out. The staff cannot make any decisions without management consent and there is no follow-up on complaints. This just makes me think they accept the complaints, I checked out early due to the staff attitude and poor hotel facilities, perhaps they have forgotten about Hilsboro....Please do not risk your life and stay in this hotel

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I want to express my family's appreciation for the wedding reception that we held at this venue. The grounds provided a beautiful backdrop for photos, and relaxed atmosphere for our guests to enjoy. The staff were professional, friendly and helpful and we were very impressed with the spread of food, in terms of quality, presentation and it was certainly plentiful.

I would definitely recommend this venue to others - it is a real asset to Hailsham. We will be using again for future occasions!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Sussex_Ang
Reviewed July 18, 2013

.. It has taken me this long to even consider writing anything about the experience that we had on Mother's Day this year. There is an earlier review that reflects the service that we received. I want to be constructive though, so here are my points observed from the hour or so we were there;
1. Poor communication between the waiting staff
2. Better front of house skills required to be that little bit more attentive/decisive
3. Poor communication between waiting staff & chefs
4. Chefs need to ensure food is cooked before sending out to customers.
5. Waiters need to be trained in the basics of customer care.

If I never step foot in a Lions hotel again, it will be too soon.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
#1 of 2 in Little Horsted
Shore View Hotel
Shore View Hotel
#15 of 40 in Eastbourne

Been to The Boship Lions Hotel? Share your experiences!