“very good staff and hotel”

Days Inn & Suites Youngstown / Girard Ohio
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Girard
Reviewed May 7, 2010

i stayed here may 5th,2010. the clerk was very accommadating and went out of her way to make my stay a pleasant one. i am on oxygen and have heart problems, and she told me my room would be on second floor, i told her that would not work for me, she went and talked to manager and i was able to get a room on first floor. room was very clean, pool was nice, breakfast had waffles, eggs sausage,cereals, donuts, too many to write down. i would go to this motel again. staff was wonderful.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo

Reviewed September 28, 2009

We had a very nice stay at this motel. The room was clean and comfortable-loved being able to open the window to let some cool fresh air in. No smoking room was on second floor-not sure if there was an elevator. We didn't use the pool but others were. Internet access was great-no problems for us. We don't stay in expensive places, so we felt this room was very good for the price we paid. Breakfast was great-really liked the mae-your own waffle maker. Great location right off Rte 80-lots of restaurant choices close by. No complaints.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2009

Doesn't look like much from the outside, but room was very nice. Room 257. King bed, mini-fridge, microwave, coffeemaker. Cookies at the check-in desk. Staff was extremely helpful; went out of their way to check us in a bit early. Hotel was a little noisy in the morning with other guests slamming room doors as they left. I would be hard if you wanted to sleep in.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 24, 2008

We were driving from Michigan to New York on I-80 and stopped here to sleep. I checked online and the price was $89 or more, so I called the hotel and asked what the best price I could get was and I got a room for $59, so that was nice. The property was quite new, and the room we had was large and comfortable. We had a room with a king size bed. The only thing that was not comfortable were the pillows. They were too large, and would be great for propping yourself up to watch TV, but were not very comfortable for sleeping. Other than that, though everything was great, from the rate to the room. They had a hot breakfast, but I'd avoid the sausage and the very fake eggs. The waffle maker was nice, however.

If you are looking for a comfortable place to sleep over night while traveling down I-80, this one does nicely. It is right on the Interstate, so that is convenient as well.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 18, 2008

Basically, we stayed here one night to take a break from the drive from Cape Cod to Chicago. Reviews I read were good. It looked pretty new, so I was expecting a decent place to stay. We arrived kind of late. Check in was quick and smooth. We were very tired, so at first I didn't think anything of it when the toilet seat was up and the toilet paper wasn't fresh in our room. Once we got some sleep, it occurred to me in the morning that the toilet seat was up and the toilet paper wasn't fresh and as I looked around I noticed hair alllllll over the floor and sticky orange juice (I think) all over the sink. It looked like they had just given us fresh towels and left the bathroom the way it was when the last people had stayed. I told the woman at the front desk as we checked out and barely got a "sorry" out of her as I walked out of the door. I should have spoken with a manager and asked for a discount but I just didn't feel like arguing with anyone. The breakfast was pretty nice, but other than that I would not recommend staying here. I'm sure there is some other cheap place like this that is actually cleaned where you can stay.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2008

This Days Inn is privately managed. Our visit began with our being charged a $100 "holding fee" on our credit card. In fact, when we handed our credit card over for reserving the room, we were expressly told we "would not be charged". The $100 holding fee was returned the day we checked out.

The next morning, when breakfast foods ran out at twenty till 10 (breakfast "ended" at 10), the staff refused to replenish items. This is not only in poor taste, but in direct violation of the fact breakfast is supposed to be for all guests, until the specified time.

A friend staying in another room purposefully left about $2 in change on the nightstand. It was gone when he returned to his room later that day. While $2 is no big deal, it speaks volumes to the staff of the hotel.

The wireless internet connection went down approximately every 2 hours for 20 minutes or more at a time. The front desk told us they were working hard to fix the problem, but in a 3 night stay nothing changed.

Checking out was an entire fiasco, and took at least 15 minutes per room.

The worst part was 3 days later, my credit card was charged twice for the visit. Not only did the hotel fail to call me and apologize for the oversight, they acted as though they had nothing to apologize for. The manager told me it was "no big deal", and when I stated that if I had overdraft fees on my debit card, that they would be held responsible, he stated "that is not my fault, and you are a liar". I stayed with a large group, and found that others had been doubly charged, but not everyone. This leads me to believe it is something the establishment does here and there, in the hopes a busy traveler will not notice the double charge on their credit card. If just one person misses it, it's worth the hassle of refunding everyone else.

I travel fairly extensively, and this was one of the worst experiences I've had.

The two positive things about this hotel would be that it's brand new (built in 2007) so it's clean, and there is a pool and hot tub.

A call to the Days Inn customer serivec 1800 number had the double charge removed from my card the next day, as well as the manager calling and apologizing profusely. Now, within the Days Inn system they have a "strike" against them, and will be closely monitored for any customer complaints in the future.

Do not stay here. Staying in your car overnight would be better.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 7, 2007

When traveling with my parents and daughter, we stayed in two rooms at this hotel using one of those coupons in the booklets you get at the rest area. Since we didn’t have reservations, we were looking for something that looked safe/clean, had a pool for my daughter, and didn’t cost above $80 for each room. While I’ve typically avoided Days Inns because of previous experiences, this one seemed to fit the bill at $65 a night, and I was tired. For the most part, I was pleasantly surprised at the budget hotel. The clerk at the front desk was pleasant; the hotel has internet service in the lobby, but it was down. Not until the next morning did they post a sign on the computer saying they set a computer at the front desk you could use with internet access. While using the computer in the morning to check my email, the desk clerk was frantically calling people to come in because the inspectors were at the hotel. I wondered if the sudden availability of the computer at the front desk in the morning had to do with the inspectors, but nonetheless, it was nice to be able to check my email. A continental breakfast was available in the morning, but it was very basic with cereal, juice, apples, and Little Debbie type donuts and ho-ho’s (which I thought was bizarre to have on a breakfast bar). My daughter swam in the indoor pool; it was small, but clean and she loved it; there weren’t any fresh towels. You could tell the rooms and hotel had recently been done, but small things hadn’t been maintained. The blow dryer in my parents’ room didn’t work and my bathroom floor had small dark hairs on the tile. The room had a refrigerator and microwave in it which was nice. There are interior corridors but there is not an elevator which would be a pain if you were on the second floor with a lot of luggage. There are a lot of restaurants in the area with Wendy’s, Subway, and a sit down barbeque place in walking distance. All in all, if you’re looking for a place to sleep after a long day’s drive and aren’t too picky about little things, the Days Inn will do nicely. I wouldn’t, however, plan a week’s vacation here. I’m also uncertain as to how well the hotel will be maintained in the future.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Girard
Comfort Suites Youngstown North
#16 of 37 in Youngstown
Best Western Plus Boardman Inn & Suites
Fairfield Inn & Suites Youngstown Austintown
Hampton Inn Youngstown West I-80

Been to Days Inn & Suites Youngstown / Girard Ohio? Share your experiences!