“A little bit of Beale Street in Girard!”
Review of Fire Grill BBQ - CLOSED

Fire Grill BBQ
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Ohio
“A little bit of Beale Street in Girard!”
Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

Supercool hip atmosphere, from the cowhide-covered seats to the exposed ductwork in ceiling to the 30+ seat bar that takes center stage. With bluesy music playing in the background and the BBQ sauces lined up on the table, one would think they just stepped into a joint right off of Beale St... in Girard!
The menu is just as Southern as the digs and the beer and bourbon selections should please any aficionado. Oh, and for the teetotalers, there is Cheerwine, a definitively Southern soda (or is it pop?) that's not quite cola, not quite cherry - just somewhere in between.
On my visit, I wanted to try a mini flight of 4 beers, Abita being one of them. Sadly they were out of the Abita as well as some others listed in the menu. And even though suitable replacements were offered, I opted for a single glass of shandy.
The appetizer that my dining companion and I ordered was the sampler platter, an all-fried delight consisting of fried green tomatoes, fried pickles, hushpuppies and deep fried batter-dipped bacon. We requested the fried green tomatoes without the blue cheese sauce and balsamic glaze as we just wanted that tart green flavor to shine. We both were in agreement that while the tomatoes were crunchy as all get out, the coating would have been better suited for zucchini or eggplant as it contained no cornmeal but included Italian seasoning. The remaining fried options were good, but the humble hushpuppies stole the show, especially with the raspberry butter.
Deciding on entrees was tough as my dining companion and I wanted to be able to sample as many offerings as possible in one visit. So we placed an order for the Purely Pork with the to-die-for baked beans and the vinegar slaw, as well as the Braggin' Rights Brisket (non sandwich) with the creamy potato salad and the collard greens.
The pork was very good, especially with the Eastern Carolina BBQ sauce; the slightly spicy vinegar really complemented the sweetness of the pig. The baked beans were pretty good as well, saucy and slightly smoky from the bits of brisket. But the best(!!) side had to have been the vinegar slaw. It had just enough tang, but it wasn't too sweet... perfection.
When the beef brisket came out, I was a little surprised to see it shredded, just like the pork. The menu description claims it to be "hand sliced" (and that's usually how it's served outside of sandwich form). However the taste was ok, a smidgen dry, but with 5 sauces at the table to sample, all was good. The potato salad was one my dining companion, the potato salad connoisseur, had never experienced. It was a cross between mashed potatoes and the ubiquitous summertime picnic staple; he ate it all so it must have been tasty. The collards were a little lackluster. While the greens (in this case, escarole) were cooked to tenderness, they lacked anything that would make them quintessentially Southern: spice, smoke and perhaps a splash of vinegar.
The service was fantastic at Fire Grill BBQ; our server was welcoming to any question and was lightening fast with extra napkins when I spilled my drink(!). One of the proprietors, Art, was even going table to table just to see how everyone was enjoying their meals. And even though my meal wasn't without its faults, I did thoroughly enjoy my dining experience. I truly hope Fire Grill BBQ has a long and prosperous future here in Girard.

1 Thank FeveredDisco

“Good food, great atmosphere ”
Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

My wife and i decided to eat here after we heard good reviews from other people. We started with the combo appetizer which is all fried: green tomatoes ( is ok, didn't like the use of Italian crumbs. Wanted corn meal) spear pickles (was outstanding, crisp, non greasy nor soggy), thick cut bacon slice (was ok, less batter would of been much better) and the star of the plate was the hush puppies (perfection). I had the brisket my wife had the pork both were good, owner who at the end of our meals went to every table asking how service was, much appreciated. He also stated the meat is smoked on the premises. Our sides: baked beans (had brisket in it, wife loved them), vinegar based coleslaw (our most favorite), potato salad (was good, mash potato consistent with some chunks) and our last side the greens. Perfectly tender just needed some smoke or a ham hock and even some vinager. Did speak with the owner when he asked for suggestions he said that adding smoke or a ham hock was a excellent idea. We hope this will come true as good greens well seasoned are so delicious. our server was excellent. The decor of the restraunt is beautiful almost upscale southern decor. Remembering it use to be "Mikes place" and how grungy it was the owners did a remarkable job updating this restraunt/bar. Will definitely go back and will tell people to try it out.

2 Thank Kevin G
Boardman, Ohio
“GREAT GREAT LUNCH”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Went to a late lunch there 6/24/14 during the Girard Cruisers car show. I had the brisket sandwich and my nephew had a half chicken. Excellent brisket and my very picky eater 12 yr old nephew devoured the chicken. A very nice hostess, very very nice waitress and a very personable manager (Collin) all made for an excellent experience. I have eaten in every restaurant in Girard and believe me when I say this is absolutely the best atmosphere with the best food. Others are good but this one is awesome. I invite all locals to support the Fire Grill and to recommend it to your friends. By the way, you will never ever have better macaroni and cheese and where else can you have deviled eggs like Grandma O from Girard makes. Next time it's the big brisket dinner for me!!!

• Visited June 2014
Youngstown, Ohio
“Good food but fix the air conditioner!”
Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

We took our son here for his 21st birthday. They had a nice variety of items on the menu. I had a burger and my husband and son had ribs. I loved the burger, very flavorful. My husband and son said the ribs were good but they prefer ribs cooked with the sauce already on. The decorating is great. The only problem was there was little to no air conditioning which made it too warm too fully enjoy the experience. We will certainly give it another try.

2 Thank 3CtheUSA
Transfer, Pa
“Great food!”
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We had the batter fried bacon, it was really good. We then tried the hushpuppies with a raspberry butter dip and let me tell you it was so good. I had the smoked brisket sandwich and my husband had the brisket dinner. Very tender and flavorful. Mmmmmm! They have rib, wings, hamburgers, chicken, salmon, and more. You can choose from 5 different BBQ sauces to put on yourself. You must try the establishment. You won't be sorry.