“Great new coffee shop”
Review of The Anchor Inn

The Anchor Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hartfield
The Anchor Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Hartfield B&B and Inns
uk
“Great new coffee shop”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Fantastic new coffee shop / bakery !!!

Recently went to the Anchor Inn as heard from a friend that they had started so offer breakfasts and locally sourced artisan bread. I have been here a few times for lunch and supper. Always fabulous !!

You use a different door that opens up to an array of amazing breads and pastrys. There was too much for me to choose from, (went for Walnut and Date bread) then settled down for a full english brekkie. Was v v tasty, no cheap sausages here !!!

All in all i'd give them 10/10

Will be returning

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
London
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I really want to like the Anchor. I've been using this pub for about 6 years, preferring it to the snotty, cynical Haywagon a stones throw away. The main reasons that I use the pub are that they have a good range of ales, a nice garden and the bar staff are friendly in a homemade way. The newish managers have made some positive updates, bigger gardens and at the weekend they sell some truly excellent breads from a stall in the back bar. But, and this is a big but, their kitchen lets them down. There are some good things on their menu, excellent fish and chips and a fair attempt at a burger but many of their dishes just ain't right. Squid with pasta in the hands of an expert may work but this kitchen isn't being run by an expert. This kitchen is being run by a competent cook with a lot to learn about customer care. I've fallen foul of the poor customer care situation twice in recent months. I was served a steak recently that was inedible, not one of those implausible five quid steak deals, this fella was nearly 18 quid and was so tough that it was inedible. I told the waitress who shrugged and said that she would tell the chef. That was it, no discussion, I'd paid already so that was the end of it. The other day we ordered a cold meat and picallili dish, when it arrived I asked the waiter if it came with any bread, he looked baffled. We weren't being rude or demanding, it just seemed that for a tenner some carbs might be included. 'I'll ask in the kitchen'. He returned with a small ciabatta roll and said that he would have to charge an extra £1.95. I should have told him to stuff it where the sun don't shine but I wanted to enjoy my meal so I coughed up. Listen up Anchor people, if someone makes a complaint at least listen with good grace and if someone asks for a little extra, try and accomodate them. Good customer care goes a long way. Your food is OK, it's not cheap and there are plenty of other places to eat. I regularly eat with a bunch of mates at the Anchor and between us we probably spend a couple of hundred quid. Not any more.
The following day we had lunch at The Beacon in Rusthall. What a contrast, freindly, knowledgeable, professional waiting staff, great food in a beautiful setting. The cost of the food was on a par with The Anchor but really well executed and when we asked for some more bread to go with our rabbit, pear and pancetta salad it was supplied, quickly and with a smile, gratis. We left the waiter a healthy tip.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sionapdale
James T, Manager at The Anchor Inn, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Hi there. Thank you for giving us your feedback. It's dissappointing to hear that the high standards we aim to achieve here at The Anchor have not been met so I would like to address each of your points one by one.
With regards to the Squid with pasta. This isn't a dish that is on our current summer menu but is something that we have had on our specials board for several weeks and that is due to the great feedback that we have had from both regular customers as well as passing trade. We are truly sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy it.
With regards to the Steak. Could you personally email me some more information with regards to the waitress to whom you complained to about the steak? We offer 2 cuts of steak - the Rib Eye and the Rump. Obviously the Rump can on occasion be a tougher piece cut of meat but in no way should it have been inedible and for that I offer our apologies. A refund should have been offered to you by the waitress on seeing that you hadn't enjoyed your meal and if you email me directly I will ensure that on your next visit this is on the house.
Finally, with regards to the Cold Meats and Picalili dish. Again this has been a dish that we have been offering on our specials board on and off for quite some time as it has been received extremely well by customers. We take time to cost out each of our dishes and the price of the dish reflects the quantity and quality of the meat supplied. Unfortunately as a portion of bread is on our menu as a side order staff would always be expected to charge an additional cost if that is what you require.
We're glad that you like The Anchor - the pub was passed to me (James) by my father 2 years ago after he ran it for 30 years. There are quite a few changes going on at the pub (the fresh bread offered is part of our new 'Bread & Breakfast' Coffee shop and is available 7 days a week, not just the weekend) but this shouldn't detract from the fact that we are trying to offer both value for money and a good experience for customers at the same time. I'm sorry if you feel that we have slipped up... I will make sure that this feedback is given to both the bar staff and the kitchen staff so that we improve upon what we do. We do hope that we see you again so that you can see that we have done our best to address the problems you encountered.
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I have visited the pub for a drink and a bite to eat about 4 or 5 times a year for the last 27 years. It is still a lovely country pub, but the food I was served was terrible value. Two of us chose the calamari and were presented with 4 small rings a lettuce leaf and a bill for nearly £7 each!After mentioning this to the lady behind the bar she said that she thought it was a small portion but the chef had costed it out ,and it was only a starter!No apology.Hope things improve,has been a lovely pub.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
James T, Manager at The Anchor Inn, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Hi there. Thank you very much for your review. Whilst all the food on our menu is costed out for each dish, we do realise that on occasion the price of a dish can still be wrong. I have mentioned this to our chefs and they will be reviewing the price or the quantity given of the calamari depending on the result. We do really appreciate feedback like this as sometimes we do make a mistake and the only way we can rectify it is if it is pointed out to us. We hope to see you again soon!
west sussex UK
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Whilst on a walking trip (The Tudor Way) a mate and I stopped here for our first night on a bed and breakfast basis. The pub has a very nice homely feel and is relaxed, quite and comfortable. The room was nice, clean, bright and airy and the fresh white bedding and towels were particulary nice. Good shower which was what we need after our long walk. The beds were very comfortable and Tea & Coffee facilities were provided in the room. The pub has a nice garden and the food was very good indeed. I had an excellent homemade blackpudding scotch egg with all the trimmings which was excellent. Nice real ale also. I couldnt fault The Anchor at all. the full english breakfast was nicely cooked and plentiful. All very good, highly recomend.

Room Tip: Garden View
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We had the twin room which was spacious. Very comfortable beds and good quality bed linen. The room could have done with an armchair but overall very good value. Hearts sank a bit when we realised there was an Elvis performer booked to do a gig in the bar in the evening. The menu looked good but there was a very large group booked in. We were offered a table in the bar but Elvis put us off a bit!
We ate at the other pub in the village which was good. As it turned out Elvis was replaced by a singer/guitarist who was not bad at all.
Breakfast was fine. Staff very efficient and helpful. Pleasant pub, good garden too. Would certainly stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We arrived tired from a long journey to a warm comfortable room and a bed with crisp white sheets. We sat by a log fire in comfy armchairs drinking real ale and listening to the rain and wind lash this georgous 14th century inn. A great nights sleep followed by a good cooked breakfast was exactly what we needed before a long onward journey. The fact the tv was not working did not matter to us, but this is something they need to sort out. We both loved our stay.

Room Tip: Both rooms are at a high standard.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We ate here for lunch on our way to Pooh Bridge. With 5 adults, four kids (including a 2 week old baby) and a dog they made us feel very welcome. Nice big portions and a good specials board considering it was a Monday lunchtime. It was also nice to see that the kids fish fingers were made with real chunks of fish and not out of a box from the freezer!!

We would definately eat here again if we are in the area, its nice little extras like bringing the drinks to the table for you that makes you remember these little gems.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hartfield
Ashdown Park Hotel & Country Club
The Spa Hotel
The Spa Hotel
#2 of 14 in Royal Tunbridge Wells
Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa

Been to The Anchor Inn? Share your experiences!