“Really good”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Rose and Crown

Rose and Crown
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Burwash
Rose and Crown
Ranked #2 of 6 Burwash B&B and Inns
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Really good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2012 via mobile

I have been for the first time and I was impressed for the amazing food quality and the quiet and very friendly atmosphere
I definitely will be back

Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Roaddino85

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2011

We stayed there in early July 2011 and were disappointed. Room was small and mattress lumpy. Shower/bathroom is tiny. I was aggravated with the hotel owner who added on charges not shown in my resergvation. I told her in advance I had a six year-old son, she said fine no charge (in writing in an email). Then after we arrived, she added on 10 pounds per day because she said he is "bigger than I thought he would be." I wonder how she would feel if I tried to pay 10 pounds less because the room is smaller than I thought it would be? That is a very poor practice for a business to not honor what they put in writing. Also, they lock the outside door when the pub closes, so if you stay there on a Sunday night, you will be locked out if you get back after 10:00 PM. Not so convenient if you are having a good time visting relatives in the evening. Also, parking is very limited and if the pub is full, you will have to park blocks away or on the side of a busy, narrow (dangerous main street). All-in-all, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank JPTraveller_11
Port Coquitlam, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

I stayed at the Rose and Crown, Burwash, for one night while attending a family gathering nearby. The pub is situated just off the main road through the village, so it is a nice quiet location. There is a reasonable amount of parking. Lovely old building dating back to the sixteenth century. The bar has very low ceilings (watch your head!) and there is also a small restaurant that serves as the breakfast room for people staying at the hotel. Also a garden with tables. Good local beer, and a nice atmosphere with friendly and efficient landlord and staff.
I was travelling by myself, and was given a nice room with twin beds. Plenty of closet space. Small but efficient separate en suite bathroom and a separate sink inside the room. Kettle, tea and coffee, and a small TV.
I had eaten a big English tea before coming back to the hotel with some of my relatives, who were also staying there. We decided to have some appetizers from the kitchen to go with our beer. We all agreed that these were well prepared and tasty, and there seemed to be plenty of people eating a full dinner. It certainly seems to be a good place to eat, and the prices were reasonable.
Breakfast was a choice of juice, cereal and toast with tea or coffee (included in price of room) or the full cooked English breakfast for about 8 pounds extra. No one in our party had the cooked breakfast, but the contintental breakfast was fine, with a variety of toast and jams available.
Overall, this is reasonably priced for a pub B and B in a pretty village with plenty of opportunities to walk through the countryside. Friendly staff and landlord made for a nice atmosphere and it would be a good base for exploring the Weald and South Downs.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank old-jogger
devon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2011

We had the room at the front which was very comfortable, the shower and WC are in a room that is small but still useable.

We ate in the restaurant on both nights and found the food to be high quality, thoughtfully prepared and served well.

Breakfast was cereal and toast, cooked is available after 0900, with orange juice t& tea or coffee.

Harveys beers are to be recommended.

All in all good value.

Room Tip: Front room was good
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank topshamtim
Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2010

We spent three very pleasant nights here just before Christmas.
We were made very welcome, with detailed queries as to our likes and dislikes, a real personal touch.
Rooms have been recently redecorated and modernised and the landlady's excellent taste is evident in the decor here and in the restaurant and bar downstairs. Some of the rooms aren't huge - but they are very comfortable and good value for money.
Despite being in a pub in the run up to Christmas, the rooms were quiet.
Restaurant food is very good and the service is efficient and friendly.
The Rose and Crown has a great atmosphere. Burwash is a very pretty historic small town with many nearby places of interest and a great location. Perfect for a short break.!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Wayfarer95
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2010

I had my staff xmas party here in mid December. There are only 6 of us in our London office and we wanted to get out of the city. We needed somewhere with accommodation and the Rose and Crown looked perfect. The staff and landlord were all very friendly and helpful. My room was fine, a little dated but clean. The landlord explained that all rooms are being refurbished and showed us the first finished one. It looked really nice and modern. Unfortunately my boss selfishly claimed this room for himself! The beer was fantastic, we had several pints to make absolutely sure. The evening meal didn’t disappoint either. The food was of a very high standard and perfectly reasonably priced. The pub filled up with locals and had a really friendly atmosphere as the evening went on. The next morning we had the option of continental or cooked breakfast. The cooked was perfect to help ease my hangover. I have since been back for dinner with my girlfriend who also loved it; and a colleague is planning to cycle there with some friends when the weather warms up a bit. We hope to go back soon.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Buckingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2009

We has stayed here last year and were interested to see how it was faring under the new management. We were pleased to find that the evening meals were as excellent as before, although the over large portions prevented me having dessert ! I often wonder why so many pubs give huge main courses as they therefore preclude a further money making order of dessert and cheese ! The only small criticism we had was the insistance by all the staff on knowing the day before exactly what time we would need breakfast and whether we wanted continental (included) or full English ( only £6 extra) . Part of the appeal of a leisure break is getting up when you want and eating what you feel like at the time -it felt very awkward to say exactly what time we would eat. Why not specify breakfast at say "between 8 and 10" and leave it to the morning ? Having said that, my husband had full English one morning and it was HUGE - so terrific value if you want to eat a lot for breakfast. Overall though, a lovely pub, with plenty of interesting places to visit locally in beautiful Kent and Sussex counrtyside - excellent Harvey's beer too ! The rooms are small, but very clean - great value for £64 a night .

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LittleEarn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burwash
Claverton Country House Hotel
#1 of 4 in Etchingham
The George Inn
The George Inn
#1 of 3 in Robertsbridge

Been to Rose and Crown? Share your experiences!