“Bexhill's best place to visit”

De La Warr Pavilion
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We are a Grade One Listed 1930s modernist building on the sea front in Bexhill on Sea, East Sussex, recently refurbished as a centre for the arts. When you walk in, you will find Gallery 1, a large gallery, on the ground floor. The current exhibition is Willem Sandberg: from type to image which opened on 30 April and continues until 4 September. On the ground floor you will also find the Box Office and Information Desk where tickets can be booked for any of our live events. There is also a shop where you can buy books, prints, cards and gifts. We have a large, 1930s auditorium where we present contemporary music, comedy, cinema and other live events. We also have a busy programme of courses, workshops and activities for all ages. Upstairs is Gallery 2, which reopens on Saturday 18 June with The People's Pavilion: Our First 80 Years and continues until Sunday 31 June. Our popular Café Bar & Kitchen can also be found on the second floor and serves delicious warming lunches, tasty salads and freshly - prepared soups and sandwiches to enjoy using locally-sourced ingredients. Our generously - sized home-made cakes, scones and cookies are too tempting to resist and are perfect when served with a delicious Illy Coffee and Fair Trade teas -perfect after a walk along the seafront on a cold winter's day. There is a children's lunch menu for those who want to treat the family. We also serve bar food before evening shows and offer a breakfast menu at weekends. There is a changing display of installations in the rooftop foyer. Doing Looking Working Performing (DLWP) opens Saturday 18 June in parallel to exhibition in Gallery 2. Starting with an eight hour improvised installation using sound and objects by two artists. The resulting installation will be open until 31 July. If the weather is good, you can step out on to the roof to enjoy the best views of the English Channel, all the way to Beachy Head. There is a large Rother District car park (free after 8pm) and free parking along the seafront. The Pavilion is less than 10 minutes walk from the station.
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Where else can you sit in warmth and comfort in the depths of winter on the seafront watching the waves crashing on the beach below. Free wifi. Full meals are cooked to order and better than you can find anywhere else in the town. Lovely sandwiches, cakes and drinks. It is always full so must be doing something right. The exhibitions are largely conceptual art - really De La Warr we do need some variety. Pilot of Film shows now running I booked a ticket for Untouchable, a really good film. Whilst booking another couple inquired what it was about but the people behind the desk did not know so they lost the sale - room for improvement there De La Warr. Quadrophenia is next. There does seem to be more entertainment geared to the local people that would like to use the Pavilion these days - I hope it continues. It could be full every weekend. I am surprised that there is no evening meal when there is a show.

2  Thank voyagermaid

Reviewed April 5, 2013

We visited the De La Warr this afternoon to watch something at the theatre. It's a theatre I spent a lot of time in as a kid, but I haven't been back for a few years. It was reassuring to see that it's still the same place. Slightly shabby, yet grand and beautiful. A magnificent space with wonderful views. Worth a visit just to marvel at the building itself. But, inside, there's now a large gallery and the cafe is still there. There was also a great area upstairs in the Resource Centre, where children were busily drawing and making things.

What I wasn't expecting was the very very expensive parking! I usually groan when people talk about parking charges, as I think you should try to avoid using the car wherever possible... but... here I was staring at a board that told me I had to pay £5.50 if I would be there over 2 hours. Wow! Wasn't expecting that.

2  Thank Kayeandus
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Weve visited the De La Warr twice this week, to see Jack Dee which was fantastic - even though we only managed to get seats at the back it was a good view, not a problem. The 2nd visit we went to a cinema night which was fantastic, great value too at only £5 - I hope the film nights continue as this is a brilliant idea. One downside is that the drinks at the bar are extremely pricey - £9.50 for 1 beer and a small glass of wine, really??!!!

Reviewed March 28, 2013

A fantastic resource offering events, exhibitions and activities to appeal to a wide selection of tastes. Great potential to provide and promote an even wider programme, especially, perhaps, entertainment of a more everyday nature aimed at the local population who part-fund its existence.

I’m not employed by the Pavilion, nor am I related to any employee, nor do I know anyone who works there. I’m not their publicist, or a performer, a performer’s parent, or a local councillor claiming credit for good things that happen to happen in Bexhill. I’m just a local resident who really values this incredibly iconic building which fate has placed on our doorstep. It’s not only iconic in terms of its architecture; there is usually something going on which is worth will make your visit to Bexhill a little more memorable.

I do understand complaints such as the previous one that “it does nothing for us and we live here and pay for it”. There may be some truth in this, depending on whether you use the facility and what you expect it to provide. However, the Pavilion has been kept alive by Arts Council and (I believe) other cosmopolitan funding and it has to repay this investment, as well as appeal to local users.

I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve visited in the last year. I look in the shop for slightly whacky gifts. I enjoy exhibitions of artists and stuff I’ve never heard of before (because it’s there), and others of whom I have heard (because it’s accessible). And it’s all free! I go to concerts, to films, to local amdram productions. I meet friends for coffee. And I use the toilets because of the dearth and smelliness of the few council ones dotted around – they’ve got brilliant high-speed Air-Blade hand-driers – thank you DLWP.

In an age of austerity these are some little treats that really add value to living in Bexhill – the butt of so many cruel jibes over the years. Even nationally it has earnt a reputation as one of the ten worst places to live in the country. In many ways Bexhill is a sleepy hollow, although that’s no bad thing in itself – but to have such a cultural fountain within our little pond is truly amazing.

I’m a bit of a fan. I don’t think I’m biased (much), but if you’re down in 1066 country (we’re at the end of the A21, itself a charming, period piece of highway engineering), do drop in to Bexhill and discover the gem which is the De La Warr Pavilion.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

A wonderful art deco building that thrusts you right back into the 1930's and if you close your eyes you will see Hercule Poirot mincing through the building. It is the epitomy of period style that has been well restored housing interesting exhibitions, a novel gift shop, a restaurant and a concert hall. Well worth a visit.