“Good value, big plate full”

The Rose & Crown Hungry Horse
Ranked #65 of 132 Restaurants in Bexhill-on-Sea
Cuisines: British, Bar, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 31, 2013

A nice little pub with good atmosphere and service. Plenty of food on your plate at a reasonable price. Been there as a couple, family and as part of a large group and the service was consistently good. Only downside is the parking can be a problem when it gets busy.

Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

I visited this pub many times with my grandchildren and family excellent value for money also a very warm welcome from staff nothing is too much trouble

1  Thank Sue L
Reviewed March 19, 2013

It was a very disappointing experience from beginning to end. I think they are unable to deal with larger parties. There were 11 of us and from the moment we arrived the table was not ready. We had to move someone else's table and get another chair ourselves despite having asked a waitress and standing around for 5 minutes. When the food arrived at the table it came in drips and drabs. We didn't all get our food together and some were left waiting for it to arrive along with some of us having side orders already at the table, which then got cold or eaten before the meal arrived. My daughter swopped her chips for twister fries for an extra cost and rather than being told before the food arrived at the table a lady came over and said they only had half portion left so was it ok to fill space with chips. My daughter agreed but when the plate arrived it was obvious they had left the food getting cold while they cooked her a few extra chips and then added them to the plate. When ordering our food we were asked how our steak would like to be cooked, i asked for medium rare NOT VERY WELL DONE! I did ask for it to be re-done but the second bit was almost blue and crispy on the outside and very chewy and fatty. The whole plate of food was not great really from dried up chicken breast, bad chips, hard fried egg, dry pineapple, bullet peas , very fatty gammon, sausage cold, so the only thing that i can praise them for is the onion rings, flat mushroom and the grilled tomato. My food wasn't the only complaint around the table. Having said that others had no complaints so half and half! When it came to having desert i put in my first order and to be told sorry we don't have that. So i put in a second order, sorry we don't have that, so i ended up having the ice-cream. I was asked what flavour ice-cream our little girl would like and the lady offered us 1 scoop of each, chocolate, strawberry and vanilla so i said yes please. So why did i get 3 scoops of strawberry?
I have always enjoyed coming here and the food has always been very good. I hope this was just a blip last night and the service and food do not continue in such a way.
The meal was paid for with tesco club card vouchers and mum and dad still have some left so they have given them to us to go back again. I would normally say that i would not go back here for a while just to give me time to forget the experience. However saying that i am hoping when we go back they can deal with just a small party of people better and redeem themselves with the food. I will be choosing something different! Watch for more reviews after we have been back.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Have visited several times now
Good value ,good food and service
Have used tesco club card vouchers
I do hope you continue this
Thanks

1  Thank kimstu
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We moved to bexhill recently and visited the hungry horse. The food was brilliant and service excellent would highly recommend it :)

2  Thank Donna S