“Consistent quality”

The Cooden Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bexhill-on-Sea
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Bexhill's main hotel was almost full when we made a last minute booking during the Easter/Half term holidays. Unable to have our favourite double room ( 4th time here) we accepted a twin bedded room in the adjacent Sea Houses building. This was clearly a " disabled" room, with well adapted wet room, very comfortable beds, and accessed via steps or a long gentle ramp. Despite facing the hotel car park and train line it was quiet and peaceful during our 3 night stay. No great problem crossing the 10yds (approx) to the main buiding despite snow flurrries (2 days) and rain (1day)! Staff friendly and helpful, breakfast buffet adequate and made to order cooked option very good. Stunning sea views from restaurant ,bar and lounge.

Room Tip: Don't rule out the adjacent Sea House rooms. The very short walk really is no hardship,the room...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
CoodenBeach36, Manager at The Cooden Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay here at The Cooden Beach Hotel and that you obviously slept so well. Thank you for your comments with regard our freshly cooked to order hot breakfast offering, we are at present looking at all the ways that we can increase our guests enjoyment of the food at the hotel and to that end have changed several of the menu's we now have an extensive a la carte menu in the restaurant, a very tasty special board is also available daily in the tavern. We are at present also investigating making our children's menu's organic.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

The cooden beach is certainly the best place to stay in bexhill, although sadly that's mainly because there isn't much competition. The room prices are fair, and the rooms are generally a good standard. The food is usually quite good, if slightly overpriced. I like the ambience of the place, it's well laid out and generally the staff are very friendly. As a whole, no complaints, but nothing outstanding either.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review, I am happy that you have no complaints with regard to your stay at The Cooden Beach Hotel, We are constantly striving to improve our service and standards here at the hotel, we have recently launched our new a la carte menu and redesigned our breakfast offering, these have now lifted the standards of food served in the restaurant, we have also undergone a programme of refurbishment throughout the hotel and I hope that your next visit to the hotel will lift your nothing to complain about to a wow.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Booked at the last minute and was offered a good price. Been here twice before so knew what room/s to ask for. I love it here for it's location directly on the beach and yet Eastbourne, Bexhill and Brighton are all within reasonable travelling distance. The weather wasn't particularly good, rain, rain and more rain but do visit when the suns out and enjoy soaking up the rays on the terrace with a glass of something cold.
There is plentiful parking and staff were quick to help me with my bag.
I had a single room with excellent seaview.Was more than adequate in size,clean and comfortable.Good sized bathroom with plenty of hot water for the bath or shower. Only basic choice of tea offered,but some Earl Grey appeared as soon as requested.
I decided to extend my stay and was relocated (the first room was already booked out) to a double room, again with a seaview and at the same price. Well done.
Choice at Breakfast was extensive and copious. Now cooked to order rather than a buffet which is much better.All the staff were pleasant and attentive.
Didn't eat in the hotel but seems to be popular with quests and locals, particularly Sunday.
If you don't want to eat in the Hotel pop into the Cooden Tavern, immediately adjacent, which offers a good selection of bar food and specials. The Fresh Fish & Chips are a must.
This is a comfortably sized hotel offering good accommodation and facilities and would highly recommend it.
The only negative comment I would make is that, it may be the time of year, the hotel does seem to attract a predominantly older guest.
Thank you Cooden I enjoyed my stay and will be returning.
p.s I think the piano needs tuning!

Room Tip: Room 208, a reasonable sized single, has good a good view over the sea
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Sue B
CoodenBeach36, Manager at The Cooden Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

I am so glad that you decided to come and see us again and very happy that you once again enjoyed your stay.

I am pleased that you like the plated breakfast that we are now offering, and for your next visit we have added even more to the breakfast menu. The fish and chips in the Tavern are very popular with our guests and I am glad that you enjoyed them. Perhaps next time you could try the a la carte restaurant which has some fabulous dishes.

it is always wonderful to hear from our regular guests and we do take all your comments to heart and act on them as soon as possible - so I have now booked the piano tuner!!

Reviewed March 21, 2013

the hotel is comfortable and the staff friendly. Plenty of parking and quiet even though it is near the railway station. the beach is a pebble one - as it is along this part of the coast. restaurant is comfortable and the food good with quick service.
Rooms are clean and comfortable. Look out for the vagaries of the plumbing - rooms on the second floor get water pressure increased by a pump that runs from about 5.45 am to around 9.30 pm - you wont get enough pressure for a good shower outside of these times - you will know when the pump is running - you can hear it!

Room Tip: remember the pump noise if you want an early night in a room on the second floor
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us here at The Cooden Beach Hotel. I hope that you will come back to visit soon

Reviewed March 12, 2013

A nice room, where I had to spend more time than expected because of the weather conditions - snow and blizzards in March. The breakfast was good, but a lack of items for my Gluten Free needs. Room was well cleaned and very comfortable and everything was in good working order. I didn't use the other hotel facilities.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

I am glad that you enjoyed the seaview from your room and am sorry that you couldn't get out and about more because of the weather. If you visit us again please let us know at the time of booking that you require a gluten free diet and we will ensure that we have plenty of choices for you.

Hope to see you soon

Reviewed March 2, 2013

I stayed with a friend for 3 nights. We both enjoyed our stay in every respect.
Our rooms were small but adequate in size with very comfortable beds. Endless hot water for shower or bath and extra towels avail if needed from reception.
The restauran staff were so attentive and helpful and the food was excellent. Maybe a little pricey, after Brighton but much in line with Oxford. This was my second stay and I took a friend who was visiting England from Italy to taste and see good English fare - she enjoyed it too!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

I am so glad that you had a happy stay here at The Cooden Beach Hotel and that you enjoyed the food in the a la carte Restaurant. I look forward to werlcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

My wife and I together with friends eat lunch in the hotel yesterday as part of a group booking. We all enjoyed a 3 course meal of the highest quality with very tasty and well cooked food. I had steak, which when considered was served along with 30 plus other main meals was really very good. I have seen the earlier review mentioning the poor profiteroles and am more than happy to confirm that mine were good and contained the required cream.
Service was very attentive and we were provided with as much vegetables as we could eat.

Room Tip: Cannot comment as only used the restuarant
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank RetiredCrawley
CoodenBeach36, Manager at The Cooden Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Thank you for your kind comments, I am so glad that you enjoyed your experience at The Cooden Beach Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bexhill-on-Sea
Royal Victoria Hotel
#5 of 11 in Hastings
Priory Court Hotel
Priory Court Hotel
#1 of 1 in Pevensey

Been to The Cooden Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!