“Short stay for a wedding”

The Cooden Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bexhill-on-Sea
Glasgow
“Short stay for a wedding”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed here for two nights at the end of September 2012 and enjoyed our time here. Check-in was fast and easy. We had a very comfortable room on the second floor of the main building. It was spacious with a decent sized bathroom. We were perhaps undemanding guests but we found the staff to be obliging, very friendly and eager to make our stay enjoyable. It was an excellent wedding venue with privacy for wedding guests at one end of the hotel but all of the bar and other facilities close by. The food was very good. Snacks and light meals in the bar were varied and reasonably priced. Breakfasts were good and the wedding breakfast was as good as any I have ever had.
The hotel is a very short walk from the railway station and we got direct trains to and from Garwick. Situated right on the beach, it is a perfect location. My wife used the spa and was pleased with it.
We enjoyed our stay here. I would happily return and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank silversurfer21

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
lowestoft
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Stayed for just one night with my sister and her daughter. We all booked single rooms. Helpful service, lovely breakfast. Good value on a Sunday night. Asked for nice view but unfortunately got view of train station. My sister and also her daughter both got side rooms with a seaview. Spa available from 7am to 10pm.

Room Tip: Room at front or side of hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Rosine
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2012

The hotel has a monopoly as there are no other comparable hotels in Bexhill hence it thinks it can charge the same as a four or five star hotel. Booked a double room for £120 (hotel actually wanted £140 but Booking.com showed £120 so they eventually agreed to that price. Upgraded to a sea view for £20.

No problem with the sea view, fantastic, although window small.

Double room #207 is situated on its own in the roof space up some narrow stairs, would not even be classed as a single in a B&B! Only one bedside cabinet as no room for another, hardly any space around the bed t walls and door etc, ridiculous to charge £120 for this.

In addition the room is tired in decor as are most of the other rooms and hotel. Would pass as an accepatble three star, but the room charges are excessive for what it is.

One other point, hotel caters for lots of functions including weddings so could be noisy.

Disapponted.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alan G
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I booked a room with a sea view and was given a room overlooking the car park and the rail station. Below my room was a live band that played until 11pm. I spoke to the receptionist and was told that live bands are in the terms and conditions when booking. I was moved further down the corridor. I could still hear the band playing loudly but at least the floor wasn't bouncing. When the band did stop the noise was replaced by the generator (or some noisy machine) outside my bedroom.

The next day at 2pm I was in the room about to shower and change for a wedding I was attending. There was no hot water despite letting the tap run for ten minutes. The room also hadn't been cleaned. My dirty cup was still there from the day before as was my rubbish in the bin.. As I was changing a staff member wanted to clean the room!

The staff were polite and friendly but I most definitely felt that I was of no importance and neither were my needs or expectations of any consequence.

There was an older man who I assumed was the manager as he was barking orders at the staff and guests! I did therefore not complain at the time. I was also just too fed up by then.

While waiting for the happy couple to arrive I asked where the rest of the party were so I could wait with them. I was told by a staff member that she didn't know and that I could 'hang around' the reception area.

The food was lovely though.

But despite the good food I will not stay there again or recommend the Cooden Beach hotel to anyone else.

Room Tip: Keep well away from the train station side as this is where the live bands play.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank MaggieJo53
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is a great place to stay. It has a swimming pool and spa. An old hotel brought up to a very high standard by a fantastic lone hotelier who bought the run down Jarvis hotel several years ago. The Hotel is very near the Cooden Rail Station and has a large car park. It is right on the beach. Rooms are great with new bathrooms. Breakfast is excellent. Lunches and Dinners are very reasonable for a hotel and service is fast. Locals come here for coffee and drinks. Many weddings take place due to the dreamy position.

Room Tip: on the front
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We Had our wedding day on Friday 24th August and it was Perfect, the weather was a little rainy at times but we made the most of it, the staff were always smiling and helpful. food and drink was great, i would like to say a massive thank you to everyone who made our day, especially Jenny and Chris who made the day run so smoothly and the owner who came down to meet us.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Cambridge
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed at the Cooden Beach Hotel in Bexhill-on-Sea for the first time this past August. I found all of the staff very helpful, especially with my gluten / wheat free dietary requirements and the leisure facilities were most relaxing and enjoyable. My room was spacious, comfortable and very clean and I had a small balcony with sea view which made my stay even more enjoyable. I plan to visit again and have already made a provisional booking for next year. I would certainly recommend it for a luxurious, comfortable and restful stay. The hotel has its own beach too. Bexhill itself is also a quiet, non-commercialised, little seaside down which is also worth a visit.

Room Tip: I had a room with small balcony overlooking the sea. The room was quiet, spacious and very clean and...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bexhill-on-Sea
PowderMills Country House Hotel
East Sussex National
East Sussex National
#1 of 2 in Little Horsted
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,147 reviews

Been to The Cooden Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!