“Nice food but no ambiance.”
Review of Simply Italian

Simply Italian
Ranked #7 of 49 Restaurants in Battle
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Nice food as always and large portions and we are frequent visitors to both the Hastings and Battle restaurants. However, this time, we were sat around the corner away from everyone, it was dark, no music and there was no atmosphere, it also felt cold too. Shame really. Won't put me off, will give it another go...

4  Thank JuBHastings

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Welcome surprise finding an authentic Italian restaurant that really was, not just claiming to be. Very friendly staff, with warm smiles and great to be able to chat in Italian - made to feel very welcome. Thoroughly enjoyed garlic bread and pasta - good healthy portions, Italian style! Well worth a visit.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

QIt does what it says on the tin
. Simply Italian. Good for a quick lunch when wandering around this lovely town.

1  Thank gillian j
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have eaten here before several times over the last five or six years but don't visit often, despite eating out locally several days a week all year round. In the past I've found it too noisy and have not always enjoyed the food. I admit I'm biased due to the fact that I can't eat most of it due to my dietry intolerances, which are not their fault, but their options are limited if you don't eat cheese, cream or wheat. Italian food was the love of my life once but now I can't eat any dairy or gluten. There are items on the menu I can eat but on a previous visit I found the nicoise salad unpleasant and literally had to force myself to eat some of it as it was my lunch and I was hungry. The portion was large and well presented but the smell and taste of the tuna was unpleasantly strong and although I left most of it and tried just to eat the other elements of the dish, (minus the cheese which I'd asked them to leave off) I tasted it in an unpleasant way for the rest of the afternoon. Having not wanted to visit for a while after that, I saw on the menu board outside that they now do gluten free pasta and I decided to try. For me the starters were not suitable and so we ate 2 bowls of olives as a starter which were nice, but they were just marinated olives and nothing else was offered as an alternative when we explained that we explained our dietary needs. The gluten free pasta in our main course was cooked well with a good texture and taste and the tomato sauce had a nice taste too, but the portion, for a main, (having only eaten olives for a starter) was too small, even though we paid a supplement above the normal dish price for having it with gluten free pasta. (Over £6 in total for a small dish of pasta with a basic tomato/herb sauce) I would have ordered a large portion if the option had been available. The desserts although looking lovely were all dairy and gluten based so I left the restaurant feeling hungry and made a sandwich when I got home half an hour later. The atmosphere on this occasion was pleasant and not too busy or too noisy, My previous visits had been during busy periods and the dining room had tended to echo, so the other diners all ended up speaking really loudly to be heard making the room noisy and meaning I had raise my voice to talk to my companion sat opposite and ask them to repeat themselves several times. I felt this detracted from the ambiance rather than adding to it, but that was my personal preference and other people may view this as a vibrant and lively environment rather than just plain noisy like I did. On the plus side the service has always been good and the staff were friendly. For me, I'm not bothered about going back, but if you're looking for Italian food in Battle there is little else on offer and they have a good range of Italian food on the menu. I will say though, that my son says Battle Kebab shop does a good freshly cooked pizza.

4  Thank whitham778
Reviewed February 17, 2013

The bruschetta was pretty bad, the tomatos were cold from the fridge and had hardly any flavour. The pasta was tasty, but really nothing special, although was only £5.99.

3  Thank cutegirl1989