“£149 BILL, BUT A 20ml PORTION OF MILK WAS EXTRA”
Review of Simply Italian

Simply Italian
Ranked #7 of 49 Restaurants in Battle
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Having had a very disappointing experience at Simply Italian in Eastbourne Marina, a friend persuaded us to join him in a party of six at the Battle branch.

As in Eastbourne, we were served by a lady with a foreign accent and poor English speaking skills. Soon after we sat down, she opened a bottle of red wine and in the process, spilt wine on the floor, on my arm and on my leg. She appeared to think it was quite amusing judging by the smile on her face and she arrived with a cloth and cleaned the wooden floor.

Disappointingly, the waitress offered nothing for me to remove the wine from my arm and leg., and neither did she offer any wine to replace the spillage.

The food was average without being special, but there was only one beer on offer – a 330ml bottle of Peroni. The restaurant was busy and it was hard to hold a conversation because of the sound reverberating round the room and the wooden floor magnified the problem. My wife couldn’t hear a friend opposite her on the table, and I had to ask the person opposite me to repeat his words on several occasions.

At coffee time, one of our party ordered coffee with cream, but it arrived as a black coffee with no cream. A charming English waitress apologised and returned with a miniscule 20ml jug of milk. When we realised that it wasn't cream as ordered, we pointed this out to the foreign waitress, but she failed to understand the problem and my friend gave up and used the milk.

The bill for starters and main courses included two bottles of wine and three beers and amounted to £149 for six diners. At the till, I pointed out to a lady who appeared to be the manageress that we had a £149 bill, but the milk had been charged at 30 pence. She explained that it was because the computer was involved in printing the bill and she didn’t have the means of altering the system. She failed to grasp the fact that we had ordered, and been charged for a portion of cream, but that milk had been served. I also mentioned the wine spillage incident, but she appeared to be totally disinterested.

I have never been charged for the milk (or cream) in my coffee and this practice indicates a ‘money before customer satisfaction’ policy.

What with the wine spillage, the poor language skills of some of the waitresses, the indifference of the manageress, and the reverberating sound which hampered conversation, I came to the conclusion: Simply Italian? Simply Never Again at Battle.

4  Thank Peter43Eastbourne

Reviewed August 31, 2012

First class food served in a friendly, efficient manner at reasonable cost. Tortelloni and cannelloni both excellent. Surroundings a bit drab but what the hell. Sadly one has to put up with the usual dreadful piped music - otherwise, no complaints.

1  Thank billio2016
Reviewed August 21, 2012

There was a large party of us (11) which is hard work for the kitchen, and yet everything we ordered was hot ,tasty and served by courteous staff

1  Thank Helen R
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We are here over several evenings. This is a good place to eat for basic Italian type food. The pasta dishes were very tasty. I had a chicken and rice dish and the chicken was rather overdone and I think more could have been done with the sauce.

It is a shame they do not do a minced beef bolognese, they only do a beef and pork one and did not offer to do just a beef one. We ate there several times and whilst the service was quick it varied depending on the waiter: the first night the waitress was very kind and helpful but the other two nights our waiters did not seem interested or very helpful at all. So variable service here.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

I spend a lot of time in Italy and absolutely love the cuisine there. The food at this restaurant was neither authentic or tasty! I ordered the bruschetta for starters which was served drowned in raw garlic and unripened tomatoes. My main course was no better, the chicken and mushroom risotto was equally disappointing. The chicken was dry, over cooked and tough to cut while the risotto rice was practically raw. Needless to say I turned down the offer of a dessert to follow. The ambiance in the restaurant was quite flat and the tables are set quite far apart. The staff are polite, but they showed no enthusiasm or friendliness at all. I will not be going again ;0(

6  Thank Lady_Marshall_01