“This is not a pub”

The Blacksmiths
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Our party of four were doing a tour of the area and called into the Blacksmiths on Saturday the 16th june for lunch.
My daughter was very hungry so had gone on ahead of us and was already sat at a table when we arrived.
My first impression was the smell of deep fat frying.... Not nice.
The waiter/maitre d immediately came to welcome us and offered to take our jackets.
He sounded like a cheaky cockney chappy, and was charming.
For drinks we asked for 2 large diet cokes, 1 pint of budweiser and a tonic water.
The menu was a bit of a shock as we were only after one course. However it offered us either 2 courses for £13.70 or £15.90 for 3 courses.
We decideed to go for 2 lots of 2 courses sharing starters and desserts.
So for starters, we ordered 2 portions of white bait. Which came perched across a rocket salad. We were offered home made tartar sauce, which was a nice touch. The white bait was slightly under done and a bit soggy.
For mains we had venison meat balls, roast beef, pork belly and weiner schnitzel. The meats came on their plates without vegetables.
We were then served the veg, which consisted of, boiled or roast potatoes and a selection of somewhat mushy vegetables, which included: sqidgy cabbage, carrots (cut into strips), cauliflower and broccoli.
These sat reasonably well with the roast beef, meat balls and pork belly but don't really work with wiener schnitzel, which should come with a crisp salad and French fries.
For desert, we ordered 1 apple crumble and 1 Creme brûlée.
Apparently the crumble wasn't very good and was a bit like sand. I ordered an additional pint of bud and a coffee.
The final bill arrived and I was a bit shocked that the drinks cost over £20 which I consider steep.
Overall, this wasn't,t a bad experience, the staff were friendly and helpful. However the place felt dated, it had a somewhat institutionalised feel to it, and my clothes smelled of chip fat for a while afterwards.
The big question for me is why the place smelled of chip fat when there wasn't a chip in sight.

Reviewed May 31, 2012

We have eaten at the Blacksmiths on several occasions and every time we have been thrilled with the food, service and value for money. Martin the owner is always charming and will always find time for a quick chat. We look forward to our next visit.

Reviewed May 27, 2012

Had a wonderful night, outside it was cold & raining but inside the atmosphere was warm & inviting. Food was lovely & service was impeccable. Would recomment to anyone visiting Battle to call in for a meal.

Reviewed May 4, 2012

The Blacksmiths had a very good menu, the food cooked to perfection and well presented. All the staff were very friendly.

Reviewed April 27, 2012

My family and i booked the Blacksmiths restaurant for a surprise 60th birthday meal for my mum. We have been here many times before for different occassions ie mothers day, christmas meals, family gatherings. It has a homely atmoshere and is run by family for many years, real service with a smile!
Good choice of menu, if you want some thing different (given enough notice its always possible) fabulous sweet trolley!! We had a strawberry gateau made for my mum wow!! was not the word for it. Would definately recommend to try here, romantic setting if your looking for a meal for two! :0)