“A Brillian Evening”

The Royal Oak Whatlington
Ranked #10 of 47 Restaurants in Battle
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, International, Greek
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Waitstaff
Description: Charming and full of character 15th Century Inn, dating back to 1490. Situated at the heart of the village of Whatlington, on the A21, just a few minutes outside Battle and the seaside town of Hastings. With a wealth of original features including the large inglenook fireplace, the 80ft indoor well, quirky oldie-worldly interior and private large beer garden, The Royal Oak is the perfect place to meet up with friends and family. With a passion for good food, specialising in Greek cuisine and many popular international dishes, the Royal Oak offers a great venue for a quiet meal, family day out or a special event, in its stunning Function Room. Children are welcome and can be entertained at the indoor and outdoor play areas.
battle East Sussex
“A Brillian Evening”
Reviewed November 26, 2010

My friend reserved a table for 6 to have a meal at the Royal Oak and join in with their Thursday Quiz. I was a bit hesitant to go as my husband and I had gone there a year or so ago and felt we were very unwelcome, but we were very please to find there were new owners and staff.
The table was ready and waiting for us, the food was excellent, tasty, well cooked and not too long to wait. We all had something different from Ham egg & chips, Scampi, Chicken and potato bake and red pepper stroganoff followed by a lovely home made apple pie and custard.
The quiz was hosted by the landlady who was really good fun, had a good sense of humour the entire pub seemed to be very welcoming.
Would recommend this pub to everyone.

2 Thank cjbattle

London, United Kingdom
“A lovely pub, well worth stopping by.”
Reviewed July 15, 2010

I made a visit to this old pub recently whilst cycling through the area with my partner and left with an impression of great hospitality from it, having been well fed and watered. With luck we were there on a Sunday and the roast provided was excellent, followed by a spectacular summer fruit crumble. The atmosphere was warm and convivial with a combination of talkative locals at the bar and passers-by enjoying the food.

2 Thank Ferraby
Wiltshire
“Great welcome to a beautiful old building!”
Reviewed June 11, 2010

I popped into The Royal Oak for a spot of lunch on the way down to Hastings. I was in a bit of a hurry as I had a meeting to attend, but thankfully lunch was served swiftly and with a smile. The food was great and the pub very welcoming. I would definitely drop by again if I was in the area.

2 Thank Passer-by-2010
Bedfordshire
“This pub is now well worth a visit.”
Reviewed June 7, 2010

My husband and I visited this pub on Saturday, 5th June 2010 after travelling from Bedfordshire to Hastings for the day. Our first visit was in 1985 and then again around 2000 when we were quite satisfied with the food.and atmosphere and therefore wanted to return there again for lunch. The atmosphere was cosy, we received a good welcome and the food was excellent. We can thoroughly recommend it and will definitely visit again when we are next in the area. Good luck to the people who are now running this establishment.

2 Thank Francophile58
Sussex
“Avoid at all costs!”
Reviewed March 16, 2010

My last visit to this beautiful pub was ten years ago. My husband, decided he'd treat us two weeks ago and booked a table.
On arrival, we ordered our drinks at the bar and were told where our table was - no problem there.
The waitress came out, took a sweet order at the table next door and disappeared... we waited.
And waited...
The waitress re-appeared with the desserts for our neighbouring table and disappeared again.
We waited.
and waited....
Including us, there were 8... yes, EIGHT customers in the resturant. Hardly, rushed off her feet, was she?
My husband enquired, if we had to place our order, at the bar (this was a large hint) and to do them justice, the landlady apologised twice. Not, that we got a discount off the bill, or even a free glass of very over expensive plonk (I can't call it wine, even if I tried!).

Finally, our starter arrived... we'd both chosen Pate, and to be honest - an idiot cant muck that up! and, they didnt. It was nothing special, but was at least satisfactory.
Our main meal, of "Roasted Lamb shank with Herb roast potatoes" was a completely different story.
Since when, does anyone call new potatoes reheated in the bottom of a high temperature oven Roasted Potatoes??? Yep, skins on. Bottoms black and looking just like they's been reheated from someone's left overs... I do, kid you - Not. The lamb shank itself, was pink inside (perfectly correct by any chefs standards) - but something just was not right. Was it the fact that it was hard to pull off the bone? Maybe it was just the resturant lighting, that made me think it wasnt cooked properly. The chef, certainly, had no idea on how to choose a piece of meat, filled with gristle. As for the vegetables... dried out to perfection under a heat lamp, I would guess.
£44 for a meal for two, no dessert. We'd had enough. Twenty minutes later, on the way home I felt ill. Not surprisingly, I managed to lose my meal within half an hour. Possibly a nice choice, for women that want to throw up after a meal - but, not what we wanted and we certainly would never reccommend this place, ever again.
Hugely disappointing, to say the least!

3 Thank SussexLadyT
, Owner at The Royal Oak Whatlington, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Please be aware that this pub changed ownership on the 19th April 2010. As new landlords, Mike & Alexandra have worked hard to build a reputation of good quality homemade food and welcoming and attentive customer service.

We would welcome you back to The Royal Oak so that you can see how much it has changed since your disappointing experience in March 2010.

We look forward to seeing you.
Best wishes