The Anchor
$203
$169
$187
$158
Satis House Hotel(Yoxford)(Great Value!)
$99
$70
$187
The Kings Head Hotel(Beccles)(Great Value!)
$86
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
The Crown(Southwold)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsgarden chaletscrab linguinewine listallow dogsfish and chipslovely villagemiso soupsuffolk coastadnams beerhomemade breadpuddingpoached eggssophieaccommodationmainspubsseaside
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Having visited the Anchor on New Years Day we found every table in the pub set and reserved for dining. The one remaining table was 'reserved for locals' We found it very sad that a pub with no less than three rooms one of which was a good sized dining room was so greedy for revenue from food that ordinary folk, local to Suffolk and Norfolk if not the actual village could be turned away because they went into a pub - not a restaurant seeking a drink.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sandra186342
elizabethMellor, Owner at The Anchor, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Yes, we definately are a pub and we welcome people who would like to drop in for a drink or light lunch. We are very popular with families, meeting for a walk on the beach followed by lunch., It is very fair that we accept bookings, since we are very remote. During the Summer we have 3 large seating areas outside for people. Over the Christmas period we put up a marquee for additional space which had seating and was decorated for Christmas. On the days when it was not raining and blowing a gale I ran street food outside as a more speedy option where our customers could use our heated flint barn or the marquee. On New Years day the weather was unusually bad and it was not physically possible to run my BBQ. To my knowledge, everyone Luke or I spoke to were offered a table in a reasonable time, as we re jigged our table plan to accommodate people sheltering from the wind and cold.
It definately is not that we are 'gready for revenue', merely that New Years Day is a time when lots of people go out for a walk followed by lunch. From what I understand, you have given us a 2 star rating, without sampling what we have on offer.
I am sorry that we did not manage to look after yourselves in the way we would have liked.
Best wishes
Sophie

Reviewed December 12, 2013

I've stayed at the Anchor twice - during shooting trips to Suffolk. It is a wonderfully welcoming pub with very comfortable and spacious accommodation, great food and excellent breakfasts. The rooms are large, very clean and well furnished, with WiFi. Last year I stayed on Thanksgiving Night and had a wonderful meal of Grilled Oysters and the roast Turkey all washed down with excellent Adnams beer. Breakfast was local keepers with perfectly one poached eggs (an art in itself). This year I was too late for dinner but had an excellent evening chatting with the landlord and his barman over beer and then Ardbeg malt whisky. Breakfast was full English - perfectly cooked and with the best pot of strong tea I've had in ages. Set me up for a day's shooting. The owners go out of their way to make you feel at home. Excellent. Will return again and again and again..

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for your lovely review. We all enjoyed reading it, with your great attention to detail!
We will do our best to repeat it when you are next up this way.
Best wishes
SOphie

Reviewed November 26, 2013

The day before we arrived at the Anchor I read a few bad reviews on here and was quite worried. However, on our arrival on a busy Sunday lunch my fears vanished. We were greeted by a smiling member of staff, who although he couldn't serve us sandwiches explained that we if we wanted only a light lunch it was okay to order just a starter from the menu. After a warming bowl of delicious homemade soup we were then shown to our room. Very happy with the cleanliness, size and amazing views. Really comfortable and relaxing. We had a bulb blow as we switched on the light, my husband reported it and within minutes it was replaced.
We ate at the Anchor both nights of our stay and were very pleased with quality of food and wine offered.
I would like suggest to prospective visitors to the Anchor to ignore the terrible reviews. We were very happy with the service offered and had a most enjoyable stay and are planning a return visit early next year.

Room Tip: we stayed in the main part of building. Room 5 has amazing views.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We stayed here for a Friday night break in November. The staff were very friendly and personable, the room was bright, comfortable and clean with good bathrooms (and wonderfully soft water), and the food was very good indeed - and reasonable value too. We appreciated that they set up a cot for our little boy without surcharge and that they were so family friendly - and we'd like to give special thanks to Rose for keeping him entertained! The bar is great - superb beer (and quite a selection - well kept Adnams as well as good international options) with a roaring fire - and decent WiFi for those of us unable to fully cut the tie with the rest of the world.

Walberswick is a lovely little village with lots of seaside walks, and the busier Southwold can be reached on foot too. The Anchor is well placed in the village, and is arguably the best pub and best restaurant too - highly recommended for a mini-break away.

Room Tip: Go for a room in the main house, rather than the chalets. Room 5 has lovely sea views and is quite spacious.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Stayed here Sep2013 for a weekend . On arrival shown to my room which did have a view of the distant sea ( about a klick away ) . The room was large enough , very airy ( which I like ) and was equipped with satellite receiver an TV ( you are well east here ) . The bar and restaurant are very well laid out and stocked with a good range of excellent kept Adnams ales on draught. I ate in the restaurant both nights and both food and service was excellent , as was my mornings breakfast ( go for the apple juice , truly special ) . The Anchor both serves and sells truly good bread , as I home sourdough baker myself I take my hat off to the chef’s.
The only word of warning is , the restaurant can be very family friendly early on , the staff do their upmost to minimise any disturbance from junior fellow dinners ( thanks again for that ) but It may be wiser to book a later table.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple