All reviews the pub beer garden fish pie stayed in the family room specials board adnams beer lovely old pub large garden varied menu full english kippers suffolk coast a great place to stay stayed for nights lovely room great weekend excellent breakfast
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

As a family we've visited Walberswick every single time we've holidayed in Southwold! In the past we've come over on the ferry, pottered around the shops, had cream tea or similar in the Parish Lantern, soaked up the sun on the beach and then returned the way we came! This time however due to old age or disability we realised we had to come by car! Before anyone jumps down my throat I am fully aware of the size of Walberswick! However, the amount of parking or lack thereof was astonishing! I have a blue badge which enables me to park on otherwise restricted areas for a set amount of time (this review is not to educate on the can dos and cannot dos with a blue badge!) but even with this I struggled to park. There were some spaces in front of the "main parade" of shops but the majority had yellow do not park cones covering it! In fact these blasted cones were everywhere! And where they weren't the rest pretty much said residents only. We did manage to park by squeezing in between the last bay and the start of the aforementioned yellow brigade (thank goodness I've only got a small car) and by displaying my blue badge. We went into our old haunt The Parish Lantern despite seeing some not too complimentary reviews on here but that had a sign up saying 'tearoom closed'! I looked on here and saw The Bell looked a good option however there was no where to park there, I specifically asked, but was told in none too polite terms could I not read this is residents only! Back we went to the tiny space we were in and then began the hike back to the pub. Now one of our party is 87 and walks with a limp and a walking aid and I am disabled and have to use a wheelchair or walker and so this gentle stroll took us forever! We finally made it and what looked as if it was closed from outside was anything but inside! There were tables everywhere you looked, in every nook and cranny which I guess could be described as quite romantic were it not so loud. Due to mobility issues I asked the young waitress who had just brought food out the kitchen if she could find us a table as we were unable to walk round and round. Without even looking she curtly told us there weren't any and turned her back on me. I said again "excuse me please can you help us find a table" to which she shouted, "no there aren't any, you'll have to sit outside"! Talk about an attitude!! Thankfully a lovely gentleman came over after hearing this and said they were just leaving and helped us to his table. Shame he was just a customer, he could have taught the waitress a thing or two! The place was packed and noisy and there was a long wait for food. Two of us had the burger (one small and one regular) and one the small fish and chips. The burger was the burger of the day and supposedly was special because it had Monterey Jack cheese on it - ooh that's special, I've never had a burger with Monterey Jack Cheese on it said with a large serving of sarcasm!! The burger was nice, couldn't really see the cheese, but really was nothing special, the chips were like chip shop chips and were ok, apparently the fish and chips were nice. This pub is most definitely not made for people with mobility disabilities inside or getting to it outside; I would not recommend it on that front. As for the food yes it was nice, but again, nothing special.

Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Such a special place, staff very attentive and friendly. Bedroom small but comfortable. Enjoyed the meals here as well. The family were from overseas and were charmed by the “character” of the pub and adored the breakfasts!

• Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Walberswick is a hidden gem of a village. The beach is lovely and the area quiet and idyllic. Easy access by bike or on foot to Southwold which is lovely too. The Bell Is a well run pub with rooms. The food is excellent and the staff friendly and attentive. The view fro our room was lovely. We will be back!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

It was a great place to stay. Lovely little touches such as fresh flowers made such a difference. The food was of good quality and there was ample choice. all the staff were keen to make it a good experience.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We love Walberswick and The Bell is the perfect place to stay. The staff are friendly, the accommodation comfortable and clean. Excellent breakfast and menu choice. Thoroughly recommend a visit to this venue.