“Very Good”

The Anchor at Walberswick
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Situated in the pretty seaside village of Walberswick, with views from the rooms and terraces over to the sand dunes, beach and sea. A short walk to the beach, wonderful walks to Dunwich and Southwold.A cosy pub with a log fire in the bar, restaurant and family room. We have 10 comfortable bedrooms, 4 in the main Arts & Craft building and 6 garden chalets, clad in eco-sourced wood. The garden chalets have sofas and outside seating for sunny days. We also have 3 dog friendly chalets with French doors opening onto the back garden.
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Stopped here for lunch on a Monday having visited the bell before decided to try somewhere different. What a treat, the service we received was amazing the blonde haired girl (I didn't get her name) was brilliant and so helpful. The food was tasty and well presented. I would certainly go back again.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We booked at the last moment on a Saturday evening - when we arrived the place was full.

We both had crab linguini followed by berry roulade, could not find fault in either. The linguini was delicious, beautifully spiced with chilli, plenty of crab meat to boot. We followed with the berry roulade, the berries were "held" together with a beautifully subtle merangue roll. This was all washed down with an excellent NZ sauvingion.

Service was attentive but not "in your face"; we were able to joke with the staff who went about their business with lots of smiles.

We were the last to leave!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We booked a table on the day having cycled to Walberswick and spent the morning crabbing on the bridge. We were a mixed party of adults and children and were accommodated on one large table. Our waitress was friendly and speedy with the drinks. Our food was great all round. Without exception we all pronounced it delicious. Three of the children ordered the pork snitzel which was delivered as requested without the fancy sauce and devoured in full (very kid friendly simple dish). The fish and chips was crispy and tasty (again the jalopeno tartare sauce was helpfully put in a separate dish) and fish soup rich and huge. Adults enjoyed Dover sole with samphire (delicate and perfectly cooked), crab and chilli linguini (fantastic), whole smoked mackerel (almost too much for one) and scallop salad (I love scallops and these were excellent). We had the selection of desserts and all were good, but the banana fritters were the best. If I go again, I'll choose those. We were having such a good time, we managed to down two bottles of Quincy at lunchtime and cycle back to Dunwich slightly wobbly.
I thought the decor and art and bits and pieces were charming and quirky. Unlike the previous reviewer I had no impression that this pub had been done up with a particular market in mind. Rather that it reflected the lives of the family who run it.
We loved it all and will definitely return.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

This was our only disappointment on our Pub Tour of Suffolk. All the other pubs we visited (from the CAMRA Good Beer Guide) were genuine friendly places with a good focus on beer. This place is essentially food orientated, with lots of false décor, e.g. old books stacked on shelved etc..

All this could be excused if the beer was in great condition, but it was probably the least appealing pint I had in our four days in Suffolk pubs.

All in all, if you like good beer and a genuine pub experience, this is probably one to give a miss.

Lastly, I nearly threw up when the waitress approached us and came out with “Would we be wanting menus?” She actually turned out to be nice girl, but it kind of summed the place up.

I am sure they will not miss the beer enthusiasts, as their focus is people who spend big money on fancy food.

1  Thank WHDavies
elizabethMellor, Owner at The Anchor at Walberswick, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2013

I am sorry to read your comments, particularily as the books you mention are 2 private collections of friends and family. The pictures are mostly painted by my friends and family, the ceramics are ones I made. Our cookery books, wine and beer books are constantly used by our team for reference, quite a lot have personal inscriptions. Our food is simple and made with care by our team. If the beer was not too your liking, we would have changed it, our cellarmen do take real pride and interest in the beer we keep. Your review describes a completely different pub to the one my husband and I have spent 9 years growing. I really am sorry you managed to get that impression.
With best wishes
Sophie

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Starters were small, thrown together with no care with dipping sauces for the squid in plastic ramekins. The pork was badly over cooked and all the fries with the steaks were barely cooked at all. We sent one steak back, in fact we could have sent all the main course back but found the waitress off hand and slightly superior! puddings also disappointed. Left with the feeling that no one really cared about the food. Maybe to busy for there own good and have taken their eye off the ball. We had lunch in march and it was good.

1  Thank foodiefortwilliam

I am sorry for your experience. I am particularily sorry that we were not able to iron out your issues at the time. Leaving a restuarant disappointed is something knowone likes, I am sorry that you felt it necessary to write such a review, especially as you had had a good experience in March.
I hope you will come and try us again!
Best wishes