All reviewshonesty bargames roombeautiful parklandlatitude festivalstable blockidyllic settingoak beamslovely breakfast roomrustic charmamazing buildingretired race horsesamazing roomcoach houseother guestsb and bdietary requirementscommunal areas
Reviewed March 2, 2012

This was my second visit to the Stables and the park and woods surrounding this lovely old building were even more stunning in late summer/early autumn. The breakfast prepared by Nick, (the manager/chef) was excellent - the scrambled eggs on english muffin with tomatoes, spring onion and creme fraiche is worthy of Master Chef. This time I stayed in Southwold Room, which although smaller than the other two suites, had plenty of space and just as much charm. There isn't a shower but a long relaxing soak in the bath was just what I needed after an afternoon walking round the park. If you're looking for a noisy, lively break this isn't the spot for you. But if you're after a place to unwind, peace and tranquility and somewhere to stay that's full of history and nostalgia then you couldn't do better.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank OrangeRainbow
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Stayed in the summer {what summer!}. Lovely setting in Henham Park - 800 acres of private park land and woodland (http://www.henhampark.com/) , a huge private estate of mainly field and parkland, with a couple of stone cottages and attractive lake and nothing else to disturb the peace. We didn't walk round the'park', but other guests definitely recommended the walk.

We had intended to stay in Southwold, but weren't tempted by any of the hotels, except the Swan which is very expensive. So as The Stables is a short 20 minute drive into Southwolde, and impressed by some Trip Advisor Reviews, we chose to stay here.

The Stables is in the original stables of the large house that used to be on the estate. Certainly looks very impressive on arrival.

The accommodation and dining room, snooker room etc are quite spartan. No great comforts. Our bedroom and bathroom were depressing and unloved with a window you had to bend down to look out of. Very large room with high ceilings, and the sort of furniture you pick up in a charity shop. We expected more. Breakfast was fine, at a large communal table.

We hardly saw Nick, very pleasant, but no great welcome. No-one asked if we were happy or enjoyed our stay. Like staying in a rented room.

We usually had meals in Southwold, at the Crown, sister hotel to the Swan. Great place, lots of atmosphere, unpretentious although frequented by media 'types' etc., and always busy. Not cheap, but still good value for the inspired menu. We can't wait to go back to the Crown. Southwold is lovely, lovely independent shops and decent restaurants and pubs. Pity it was so windy and cold (in August) we couldn't even go on the beach front some days. But that's England for you!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bird3
nickkirtley, Manager at The Stables at Henham Park, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2012

We are saddened that these guests did not enjoy their stay but are very grateful for the points that they have raised and we have now made several improvements for 2012 as a result.
We have now repainted and refurnished The Stables both internally and externally. The dining room and snooker room are described as "spartan" but this is partially to do with the sheer size of the building and rooms and some thing most guests enjoy. We have added new sofas, art work, orchids, and new lighting to give it a more homely feel.
All bedrooms have also been refurbished and repainted.New, deeper mattresses,bedding and soft towels have all been added. We specifically choose antique and retro style furnishings which we feel enhance the beautiful large vaulted ceilings and oak beamed rooms. We feel this gives each room a unique feel and again, it is something most guests enjoy.
My approach to management is to take my lead from the guests - if they want to chat I will very happily chat with them and advise on local attractions and tell them of the interesting and eccentric history of the park. If they are quieter I leave them to enjoy their stay as guests are often having a break from busy lives and would not necessarily enjoy conversations with the manager during their time away. I am sorry that these guests may have felt neglected and I do always try to ask if guests are enjoying their stay and if everything is ok for them.
Again I urge you to read all of our other Tripadvisor reviews which are almost always very positive.

Reviewed November 1, 2011

Hi we stayed here for my special birthday, which I had no idea as to where I'd end up, however on arriving I certainly wasn't disappointed, we as a family of 3 our daughter aged 10 loved everything about the place, nothlng too much trouble. Clean fresh and very spacious, what more could we want. We had the minsmere room so out of this world, More than enought food for breakfast, and Nick certainly spent time adv and helping. Can't fault because there is nothing to find fault with!!!.. AND WE WILL BE BACK NEXT YEAR!!!!! The Ward Family

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 22, 2011

We stayed at The Stables in the Southwold Room a few nights ago and had a wonderful time. It is a fantastic bed and breakfast and we were particularly impressed with the little touches such as the free brownies in reception. The service from Nick was outstanding, he really couldn’t do enough for us, offering us a bottle of water and a map when we went to walk around the park. It is a little distance from Southwold and you have to drive to go out for dinner in the evening, but the quiet location more than makes up for it. The only thing I would say could have improved our stay was a shower in the bathroom, but they did tell us that there was only a bath in advance, so fair enough. All in all, thoroughly recommend. Go before everyone finds out about it!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2011

My wife and I love this part of the Suffolk coast and we visit regularly. We’d never tried The Stables before, but we’re really glad we did – driving home after a very relaxing long weekend there we both felt it was one of the most charming places we’d stayed in the area. Full marks to Nick for creating a friendly and mellow environment. I would certainly recommend The Stables for those seeking an excellent standard of comfort in a beautiful and tranquil setting.
I’m always keen on unusual buildings, and was immediately impressed by the feel of the place as we arrived (those graceful Georgians, no doubt!); set well back from the road and overlooking a wide expanse of the Henham estate, you won’t be short of peace and quiet here. Nick told me about the large house which used to keep the present B&B company – you can still see some remains out front – and provided me with a map of the grounds: my wife and I both enjoyed long peaceful walks, hardly bumping into anybody, remembering why Autumn is our favourite season.
We didn’t book the largest room on offer, but we loved the clean and uncluttered contemporary style. The interior of the place has been tastefully refurbished, and I was delighted to see it manages to avoid being too slickly modern, opting instead to work with the original period features and keep a more individual atmosphere. There was plenty of space in our room and it was great to fall into a comfortable bed after a day’s exploring the coast.
Oh, and I’d have to salute the breakfast, too – hard though it is to choose a highlight from so many! Thanks, Nick – we’ll see you again!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple