All reviewshonesty bargames roombeautiful parklandlatitude festivalstable blockidyllic settingoak beamslovely breakfast roomrustic charmamazing buildingretired race horsesamazing roomcoach houseother guestsb and bdietary requirementscommunal areas
Reviewed September 5, 2011

We recently stayed at the stables and had a lovely time. There are 4 rooms, we had the southwold at £100 per night and my daughter and son in law had the minsmere for £120. Both rooms were lovely but the minsmere has it's own staircase and is the only room with a shower and also has a gorgeous roll top bath. The rooms overlook parkland and are very quiet and peaceful.
We had the place to ourselves and Nick brought us a tray of tea when we arrived. We enjoyed playing pool and helping ourselves to the drinks, crisps and chocolate at the bar and putting money in the honesty box.
We ordered pizza to be delivered and Nick laid the table in the dining room for us. We could also borrow books, cds, dvds and magazines.
We were given a varied menu for breakfast and placed our orders the night before. The full english was fantastic.
Everything about this place is perfect and nothing is too much trouble, I can't wait to return for another relaxing break.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Visited The Stables for 1 night as a brief getaway from the mundane working week to celebrate my birthday. Off the beaten track you can't help but notice the acres of glorious countryside as you drive up towards the Stables. Upon arrival Nick came out and greeted us with a warm welcome, helping us with our bags and making a cuppa which we could enjoy outside on the benches overlooking the park. The Southwold room is one of the best rooms I have ever stayed in and this includes 5 star hotels in London and New York. I mean this because of the vast amount of space that was available, the character it had, the views, the cleanliness, everything was top notch. The bathroom was fantastic and yes it doesn't have a shower but that didn't bother me in the slightest. It's the little touches which makes trips away seem more special in my opinion. Like the brownies left out for you to help yourself, the honesty bowl in the games room for drinks and snacks (not like those horrible fridges you get in hotels which immediately electronically charge your room the moment you remove it). The fact that we couldn't get a taxi booked into Southwold and Nick offered to run us in himself. The beds are very comfortable and all amenities covered.

Southwold is only a 10-15 minutes away, we went there to the Nelson pub and had an excellent fish and chips before a walk along the pier.

The breakfast at the Stables is fantastic, yes you have to order it the night before, but with so few rooms I don't know what others on here expect? They need to know exactly what people are having so they have the right food in I would presume. It was all very fresh and tasty.

Overall I would highly recommend this place to anyone, it far exceeded my expectations and I would return. I just worry whenever I try and rebook it will be sold out as surely this will get even more popular.

The place is a gem, visit.

Reviewed August 15, 2011

We stayed here for the second time last week, a birthday treat for me and some much needed time-out for both of us.

Having been before, I was a little bit worried as to whether The Stables would be as nice the second time around. The answer to that was most definitely yes. Obviously the wow factor isn't quite there as it is the first time; if you have already experienced the awesome exposed beams, the high vaulted ceilings and the peaceful surroundings once, it's very difficult to top them a second time.

Having stayed in the Southwold Room before, I wondered whether or not the Minsmere Room would live up to it but it was just as magnificent! Larger than the ground floor of most small houses these days, there was a king-sized bed, a comfortable single and a sofa - plenty of room if more than two of you are staying, so ideal for families to share as well.

By far the best thing about this room is the bathroom though. For those of you who don't do baths, you don't know what you are missing! (But there is also a shower if you prefer it) and as I reclined in the claw-footed tub and looked out of the window across the countryside, I did feel like I could get used to my surroundings very quickly!

The breakfast choice was again very good, although (to be really picky) we didn't like the sausages as much as last time, but that's an extremely minor thing to criticise when weighed up against the experience of staying there. Staff were friendly and helpful and we were free to wander the grounds at our leisure again - no cows or sheep this time but the back end of a snake was spotted and a herd of multi-coloured deer surprised us!

All in all, this is a very special getaway for you if you want to relax and unwind...we hardly heard or saw a thing during our stay which makes a refreshing change when staying away from home. On the other hand though, there are some nice villages and pubs nearby and Lowestoft and Southwold are only short drives away if you wanted some hustle and bustle at night.

I would highly recommend The Stables for a romantic getaway, a special occasion or just for some chill-out time...I hope we will be able to return in the future when our batteries need recharging again and thank you for having us :-)

Reviewed August 5, 2011

We stayed in the Henham room. Only down side for the room is due to the small windows it was a bit dark and to wash your hair you needed to use a jug in the bath. That was more than offset by the very quiet and tranquil location. Nick was a very friendly host and helped us with where to eat in the evening. He also gave us a map of the walk around the private park which only guests of the B&B can use. Guests also have use of the facilities in the lounge, pool table, bar area with honesty box for alcohol and soft drinks, chairs, small library of books and magazines plus a fridge where the cold fresh milk for use with the tea and coffee in the room can be collected. We could only stay for two nights as it was a late booking and the place was fully booked. It was an excellent base for our first trip to Suffolk which we will certainly return to in the near future.

Room Tip: Rooms at front will have good views across the park
Reviewed August 3, 2011

We stayed here at the start of August, we had the Minsmere family room, this was huge and ideal for 2 adults and two kids. One of the best B+B's we've stayed in.
My Mum stayed in the Southwold room which was also very large and tastefully decorated. Nick the owner was very friendly and really helpful.
The breakfast was delicious with a good choice, something for everyone.
Ideally located for the beaches of Southwold and Walberswick, we preferred Walberswick as this was less busy, good crabbing off the bridges and The Bell pub serving a great pint of Adnams.
A lovely holiday ....Thanks!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family