We stayed in a garden room and took our own travel cot. The decor was tidy, but the furnishings were tired - duvet cover very faded and washed out. Lot's of storage for hanging clothes, although on the shelf above the hanging rail there were many cobwebs. We were led to believe that the room would have it's own fridge, but this was in the main building and had to be shared with other guests. We thought for the amount of money the room cost per night there would be a fridge in the room. The bathroom was clean but shower pressure very weak. The bed must be the most uncomfortable bed ever made, and certainly the most uncomfortable we have ever slept in, both my hips felt bruised in the mornings as the bed was so hard.
One good point was the washing line in the garden behind the building, as you could dry off damp towels instead of trying to dry them in the room.
The pool was an added bonus to the stay, although quite cold, and a pain having to remove the cover each time we wanted to use it and cover it over when we had finished. We felt this is something that should have been done by the hosts.
Breakfast for us was not adequate for the price we paid per night. Only tinned prunes or tinned grapefuit every day, and only orange juice to drink. The cooked breakfast was nice enough but not enough of it! We are not greedy, but one sausage is not enough! When we have stayed in other b&b's (and for less money per night) we have been offered variations in the cooked breakfast - smoked salmon with scrambled egg on toast, as well as various fresh fruit, and a choice of fruit juice.
Overall we were disappointed with our stay at Newlands, we won't be going back again and wouldn't recommend it. Very poor value for money.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- only a mile from the town centre is award winning NEWLANDS COUNTRY HOUSE ETB 4 STAR SILVER offering first class accommodation, Level access En-suite Garden Rooms with full disabled facilities, Family rooms, heated indoor swimming pool & ample off road parking large gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire so you can book your Newlands Country House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Newlands Country House Hotel Southwold
- Newlands Country Hotel
- Newlands Country House Southwold, Suffolk