“Fantastic place to stay”
Review of Randolph Hotel

Randolph Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Southwold
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Fantastic place to stay”
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as a base for a weekend away. Very friendly staff and very comfortable room. Nice bar/ lounge and fantastic cooked breakfast. Can see why it is No1. Good value and 20 minute walk to far end of Southwold. Will definitely return in future.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
DavidSmithRandolph, Owner at Randolph Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear AdamD2

Thank you for your tripadvisor review, we are thrilled you enjoyed our hospitality.

We hope that honest and genuine reviews such as these will continue to give our future customers confidence in staying with us

with best wishes

David and Donna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Hope Valley, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2013

A very relaxing atmosphere and quiet place to stay. We had a very nice,spotless,bedroom and bathroom. The Restruant served first class food. The meals including the breakfast were well presented and hot. All the staff were extremely pleasant. A memorable stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear AndrewF

Thank you for your review and we are delighted that we gave you a memorable stay.

We look forward to seeing you again soon

Best Wishes

Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Just another perfect stay at the Randolph!
This was our 5th stay and it's just lovely relaxing and lovely atmosphere! The staff cannot do enough for you!
We didn't eat but we had drinks in the bar and Sunday lunch look yummy!
Our scrambled egg and smoked salmon was just delightful!
We never want to leave.
Roll on March for our next stay!

• Stayed October 2013
Dear CharliesPad

Thank you for your wonderful review, we are thrilled to think that this was your 5th stay and the 6th is already booked!! need we say more, but thanks for helping us to maintain our No 1 position on TripAdvisor.

We look forward to seeing you in March 2014

best wishes

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I am a little late in writing this but better late than never i say. my now husband and myself got married in Southwold just 4 months ago and we had our reception at the Randolph, i stayed the night before to ensure a easy morning for the day. from the time we booked our reception from the time we checked out and even the times we visit after we are treated like part of the family. David and Donna are so friendly and will do anything, the night before i was a bit stressed as most brides but they made everything easy, at one point my hair straighteners blew and the electrics went out on the whole top floor, not a problem they were put back on and David the owner even rang his wife to bring hers for me.
On the morning of our wedding Donna did everything for me, she set everything up without any problems offering me anything i needed (mainly champagne). The whole time we were there we were treated like we were the only ones in the hotel. It was like we were family.
We already booked to go back for our 1st anniversary in the same room as we were in for our wedding.
David and Donna are amazing , if you want a small, intimate wedding this is the place to go :-)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Tammy108

Well what can I say? It was a pleasure to look after you all on your special day and we are delighted that it was all that you wished it would be.

We look forward to your anniversary weekend next year!

Best wishes

Lowestoft
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Over the last few years we have visited the Randolph Hotel several times for Sunday lunch and other special occasions and until last Sunday we have always been delighted with the experience, however our experience last Sunday has certainly made us reappraise our opinion.

The meal was a disaster from start to finish: I made a reservation by telephone and made a point of of saying that it was my wife's birthday: expecting that at the very least, this would be acknowledged upon arrival - instead the receptionist had managed to get our name wrong and only confirmed our reservation based upon the time required. We were not shown to a table, just told that our table was in the corner, not which corner. We went to the wrong table, only for the waitress to point to another and say " that's yours". After a considerable wait we were handed menus and ordered drinks, these also took some time to arrive. We both ordered roast beef which turned out to be extremely tough, we were not asked if the meal was satisfactory until the plates were collected; we then told the waitress of our concerns who, after reporting to the kitchen, said that the chef apologised and that he had received the same complaint from another table.
After a further long wait for menus, we ordered deserts - these took over 35 minutes to arrive, and my wife was given a soup spoon instead of a desert spoon. The beer that I had ordered with the desert never arrived at all.

In addition to the above, diners who had arrived some time after us were served well before us and in fact finished their main meal before we received our desert. When we eventually received our bill we were told that because the beef was not up to standard that our first drinks were "on the house". Upon checking the bill we found that we had been charged for a bitter shandy which had not been ordered or received.

We have in the past recommended the Randolph Hotel for the quality of their Sunday lunches to our friends but, based upon this experience, we would be very wary of doing so in the future.
Before writing this review I Emailed the proprietor of the Randolph, informing him of our dissatisfaction. He did not bother to reply

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank murphy11Lowestoft
DavidSmithRandolph, Owner at Randolph Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Dear Murphy11LOWESTOFT

Thank you for your patience whilst I have been investigating fully your email of 10th October.

Having been at the helm of The Randolph for the last 9 years, we know only too well that we are only as good as our worst meal served. To hear on this occasion that not only was the meal poor but that the service was also a letdown, was incredibly disappointing. We make great efforts to ensure that we aim for 100% customer satisfaction in all areas, and it sounds like we failed in all areas on this occasion.

There is no excuse to not to be shown to your table and my apologies that your wife was not wished a Happy Birthday. Why there was such a delay in handing menus to you I have no idea and obviously you had been overlooked. Again my apologies for this lack of attention.

With regards to the Beef, this sadly had affected a few tables that lunchtime. I should point out that this was no fault of our Chefs, but of the joint of meat itself. Whilst Topside of Beef is a good tasting roasting joint, it is not consistent enough in terms of tenderness. With immediate effect we have now changed our purchasing regarding this and the Five Rib, Forerib of beef is proving very popular.

Regarding the diners who arrived after you or before you, such fluctuations can be caused by many issues, they may or may not have pre-ordered in advance? May or may not have chosen to have a starter course? And whilst this may have annoyed you on the day, I am sure that the lack of service to your table only compounded the effect it had on your visit.

I have also spoken to the Pastry Chef that day regarding your delay in receiving desserts, I am astounded to think that it actually took 35 minutes? Indeed for anything to leave our kitchens with such delay is hard to comprehend. Suffice to say that again please accept my apologies for any length of wait in receiving your pudding. The fact that it was served with a soup spoon is poor, embarrassing and obviously a mistake from a more junior member of staff. Your comments will help us ensure that such mistakes do not happen again in the future.

I am glad that my Assistant Manager tried to acknowledge the situation and give you complimentary drinks by way of apology, he was embarrassed to see that another guests’ drink had been charged incorrectly to your table after he had voided your drinks off.

I do hope you will be able to tell from my response, how important we take guests feedback. I never chose to ignore your email, so to say publicly that I “didn’t bother to reply” on ‘Tripadvisor’ I do deem to be unfair. Having been able to recommend us in the past for lunches, I would like to think that you would come back and enable us to show you that this was a one off, and give you confidence in our hospitality again. Suffice to say that readers of ‘Tripadvisor’ and other online review sites, will have to make their own judgement as to your comments and my subsequent response.

I do hope that you receive this email from me, I haven’t heard from you regarding my immediate response to your first email. So I will publish this as my management response to your comments.

I do hope to be welcome you and your Wife back to The Randolph soon

With best wishes

David
Colchester
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We were impressed by our stay at The Randolph. We received a warm welcome on arrival and allocated Room 10 which was clean light and airy, of a good size with well equipped ensuite bathroom. We had a nice meal in the bar (the menu could be described as limited but there were additional specials) and although the hotel was very busy due to a function, we had excellent service from the enthusiastic staff. Negatives....none really.... we had a quiet, undisturbed night followed by a very good breakfast and so will definitely return for another visit.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stournavigator
DavidSmithRandolph, Owner at Randolph Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear Stournavigator

Thank you so much for your terrific review of The Randolph and Room 10, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate you taking the time to review us.

We hope to welcome you back to The Randolph again soon

Best wishes

Beaconsfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We have stayed at the Randolph 4 times now and still love it as much as the first time we stayed. We are not strangers to Southwold, as my in-laws lived a few miles away and we always stayed with them. However when they died, we decided to stay at the Randolph as it had many memories of drinks and meals over the years. It is such a friendly hotel, the staff are lovely, David and Donna are excellent hosts. The rooms are comfortable, the food delicious, both breakfast and dinner. We are returning again very soon.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RelaxandStay
Dear Relax and Stay

Thank you so much for your lovely review of The Randolph, and your very kind words about my Wife and I. We have a terrific team that we are all proud of and we are pleased that this is reflected in the level of service that you received.

Best wishes and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon

David and Donna
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southwold
The Crown
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,429 reviews
The Ship at Dunwich
The Ship at Dunwich
#1 of 1 in Dunwich

Been to Randolph Hotel? Share your experiences!