“Weekend break”
Review of Blyth Hotel

Blyth Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Southwold
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Tried to book with a groupon promotion but was unable to have any of the 5/6 dates I offered, as groupon promotions can only be used on certain dates.So booked for the dinner b&b instead for £120 per night for 2 people.Food was fab and to a high restaurant standard, the waitress was brilliant and very friendly and helpful.The room was nice with a large shower however the double bed was 2 singles pushed together making it very uncomfortable for my husband who had a very lumpy mattress! Nice bar and quiet lounge room.The first morning breakfast was a disaster as there was no waiting staff due to nobody turning in for work, so we had to chip in together to get through breakfast.When the owner arrived later in the day he gave no apologies for the inconvenience caused, the apologies were left for the staff on checkout to do when we paid the bill.We did have the breakfast refunded though when we made it clear we could not pay for a service we did not receive which was acceptable.

Room Tip: Ask for a proper double bed and hopefully not 2 singles pushed together
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 17, 2014

My wife and I visited the Blyth on January 14th 2014 for two days. This was a surprise for my wife. We had booked via late rooms.com. On travelling to the Blyth I had a phone call from Richard telling us that he had upgraded our room and had given us their Southwold suite (including jacuzzi). What a wonderful gesture. Both myself and my wife were very humbled by the kindness and genuine care shown by Richard and his staff. Would certainly recommend the Blyth Hotel. This was our second visit, the first being about 5 years ago.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Booked fairly late by my parents, our family group of ten were not sure what to expect. Very pleasantly surprised. Lovely lunch, beautifully presented and served by friendly attentive staff. Beautifully decorated room. Definitely represented good value and got our family holiday off to a great start.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Catherine W
Reviewed January 3, 2014

My wife and I visited the Blyth with a group of friends taking advantage of their New Year package. The restaurant, bar and other public rooms were very good, the food excellent and the overall package including New Year celebrations was high standard. The bedroom we occupied was small and in need of renovation but was clean and adequate for a short stay. Our only adverse experience was on checking out when arrangements were chaotic to say the least and required sorting out after the event. This did not spoil an otherwise satisfactory and enjoyable visit

Room Tip: The standard rooms are small and superior are considerable better
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I was a little anxious after reading reviews on this hotel which unfortunatley were initially exacerbated by the lock falling off the bedroom door as soon as I opened it BUT it was soon fixed and things picked up from there. Our room was very clean and tidy albeit was in need of a small amount of TLC (furniture had a lived-in look and the windows had seen better days) but at the end of the day, I didn't plan to spend all my time in the room! The staff were really friendly and helpful, and the hotel was beautifully and thoughtfully decorated with Christmas trimmings! The food was fantastic, and that in itself deserved to give the hotel an additional star rating. Loved the breakfasts especially as there were more dishes to choose from than the usual 'run of the mill' breakfast menus. Recommend poached mackerel on a bed of wilted spinach with a poached egg which was lovingly prepared. All in all a good stay and I would go back there again.

Room Tip: Watch out for room 1 - very small
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

We came here the same time last year and had a lovely time, as you can see from my previous review. However, this visit was a disaster.

We stayed in the Southwold suite, which, I must say, is a beautiful room. First thing I noticed which I found strange was that the bathroom window was wide open, and couldn't be shut. The heating was on full so it wasn't cold, but we still found it odd and well, a waste of energy.

We used the jacuzzi bath in the evening and then went to bed around 11pm. At 11:30pm the jacuzzi switched itself on, waking us both up. It's pretty noisy so it really startled us. We went and turned it off, but then at around midnight it switched itself back on. This continued every half an hour until 2am! We frantically looked through all of the literature trying to find any information to help us work out why it was doing this. There was nothing in the literature referring to the jacuzzi. So, we tried to find an emergency number for the hotel being that the reception was un manned. We needed to change rooms, just to get some sleep. We couldn't find any number. It was honestly like some twisted sleep deprivation torture, it was awful. We were just about to get dressed and go back home at 2 am, but luckily we found the off button on the wall down the side of the wardrobe. We finally got to sleep, but not for long. At 6:30 am we were woken by the buses and lorry's letting their air brakes off being that our room was right opposite the mini roundabout, and our bedroom window was wide open, like the bathroom! We did not realise the window was open until we left, but we were woken up several times between 6:30 and 9am.

When we finally got up, I felt like a Zombie. I took an unpaid day off work to come here, and drove for 2 hours. We also had a 6 hour round trip drive ahead of us. We both felt so shattered that neither of us opted for the cooked breakfast, we just didn't feel like eating.

We explained everything to the guy behind the desk but he was completely unapologetic. He explained that the jacuzzi switches itself on to clean itself after use, and that it is not meant to do it continually. I'm not sure if he didn't care because we look young, or because we got the room for a discount through late rooms, but considering the money I lost from work, plus the fuel, plus the bad meal from their restaurant, it actually cost a hell of a lot of money. Our works are very stressful and we came here to get away and destress before the holidays.

We will never return to the Blyth. Next year we will try one of the other hotels in Southwold.

• Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank Sim494
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We have stayed and eaten at The Blyth on many occasions over the years, Richard, Charlie and all the members of staff give you a warm welcome and make you feel like part of “The Blyth family” during your stay or visit to the restaurant. The food is excellent and award winning, and that coupled with the warm and friendly atmosphere and excellent service are the right ingredients for a great time.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southwold
Randolph Hotel
13 mi away
The Brudenell Hotel
The Brudenell Hotel
#2 of 4 in Aldeburgh

Been to Blyth Hotel? Share your experiences!