“Not quite as good as expected”
Review of The Swan Hotel

The Swan Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Southwold
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Not quite as good as expected”
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

We are frequent Southwold visitors and have previously enjoyed afternoon tea at the Swan so booked up for a birthday treat. We had a very enjoyable stay, the staff in the restaurant and particularly at reception were friendly and efficient and food was fine but were surprised that decor seemed tired and sometimes in need of a clean - such as restaurant curtains.

We would definately visit again for afternoon tea but would probably think twice about staying.

• Stayed March 2013
AdnamsSouthwold, Manager at The Swan Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent visit. Thank you for the positive feedback as well as outlining the issue encountered. I do hope you will return to stay as I’m sure there will be changes made that will keep the traditional feel to the Swan Hotel.

Best regards

Swan Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I love Southwold, and one of the best places to stay is the light house rooms at the Swan.
We stayed in no 5 Mayday, the room is spacious, has a big bed, tastefully decorated and best of all has a little patio to take breakfast on. The light house rooms are in a little courtyard behind the main hotel. This provides a safe haven away from the tourist crowds, a little green courtyard which each patio over looks. We are intending to come back with our little one as he can have a run round whilst we take breakfast quite safely. We had breakfast delivered to our room, which was just so civilised. I would be really amiss if I didn't mention the staff, there is a wonderful woman who seems to work the bar all weekend all day/ night long. Incredibly kind and thoughtful, nothing is too much trouble. We enjoy taking our meals in the bar, it has free wifi. It is worth noting there is no internet in the rooms which I think could do with improving. Otherwise I would strongly recommend eating, drinking or staying at the Swan, so much so that even in writing this I am selfishly thinking of deleting it, just because I like to stay there and sometimes it is fully booked when we want to stay :-)

Room Tip: If you have a little one, I would recommend the light house rooms over the house
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
My sincere thanks for this wonderful review which I have shared with the team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards
Clacton-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Having been tempted to stay at The Swan for sometime now when the booking.com offer came up decided to take the plunge. Although looking forward to the one night break, from entering the hotel I was very disappointed,kept waiting on arrival eventually checked in but communal areas very dated and shabby.The room was not what I expected had it been for more than 1 night definately would not have stayed,grubby dated and with some toiletries missing, I don't think the bed valance had been laundred for sometime and never seen an iron.It was snowing outside and although they knew the room was booked the heating was not turned on.The information booklet asked not to take the bathrobes as you would be charged although you can purchase them. As I was concerned I would be charged as we didn't have any in the room on enquiring at Reception a rather snotty receptionist asked the room number and said those rooms do not qualify for robes you need to book a superior room!
During the evening it became very apparent we could hear everything from the next room including using the lavatory! There was a continuos noise of running water all night.
The china in the dining room at breakfast was not clean had to remove several bowls before we had a clean one. On checking out mentioned all this to the Receptionist who did not really seem at all concerned and said as we booked through a third party it wasn't their fault she asked if we had completed a customer feedback sheet which should have been in the room then went to look for one and couldn't find any eventually giving us a sheet of headed note paper to write on.
In all having looked forward to this I was very dissappointed looking at the previous reviews and feedback from the hotel manager over several months stating customers reviews would be taken on board nothing appears to have changed, Adnams has the monopoly in Southwold some competition from a genuine up market hotel group would do them good!!

Room Tip: Look at room first
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
AdnamsSouthwold, Manager at The Swan Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for your review. I’m genuinely disappointed that your visit did not live up to the standard required and I would like for you to contact me directly at the hotel, 01502 722186.

Yours sincerely

uk
Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I paid £99 to stay here for 1 night on a b+b basis midweek in March. Reception staff very helpful and welcoming during check-in; we even got a complementary upgrade. Stayed in room 20 which overlooks the market place; it has huge windows and is a great place to sit and people watch. We also could catch a glimpse of the sea which was fabulous. The room is pretty dated but in keeping with the style of the hotel; antique style furniture. The bathroom could definitely benefit from a revamp; it had a shower over the bath and was quite squashed, but not a huge problem.
The hotel itself is fabulous; it was freezing outside so after a walk by the sea we thoroughly enjoyed several drinks at the bar. Breakfast was top notch; smoked salmon and scrambled egg, beautiful.
The hotel is located in the centre of Southwold, a few minutes walk to other pubs, restaurants and the sea.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank misshollyb
AdnamsSouthwold, Manager at The Swan Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent visit. Your kind words are most welcome and have been shared with our team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Why not visit our web site as this gives you detailed descriptions of our rooms including photos
Belper, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I have stayed at The Swan many times over the years and would not stop anywhere else in Southwold. Yes, it's pricey, but look out for seasonal offers. I don't care much for dinner at The Swan; my advice is to go and see Andy Rudd down at Sutherland House for a truly beautiful evening.

The reception staff are always so lovely as are the bar staff.

If you have a small dog why not book a lighthouse room where dogs are welcome!

Room Tip: Room 19 is a winner
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
AdnamsSouthwold, Manager at The Swan Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for the review. Your kind words have been shared with our team, on your next visit I hope that you will try our restaurant as I’m sure the experience will match those found in all other areas of our hotel.

Kind regards

Woodbridge
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I booked the Swan Hotel as a surprise birthday treat for my wife, and the staff were wonderful to make the stay memorable. We were given a free upgrade to Room 20, which had a huge comfortable bed, and a lovely view overlooking the market place. I had pre-ordered a birthday chocolate cake, which for a very generous size, the cost at £12, was incredibly good value for a hotel of this stature.

We had excellent service at both dinner and breakfast, with lovely food and well presented.

The hotel is situated in the heart of Southwold, and just a short walk to the sea. Highly recommended hotel. If we stay in Southwold again, our first choice will be the Swan Hotel.

Room Tip: Room 20 for large bed, and view of Southwold.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank V2-60885
AdnamsSouthwold, Manager at The Swan Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for the review. To rate so high from a seasoned reviewer as yourself has genuinely made my day. I’m so pleased that all aspects of your visit were greeted with the customer focus we strive for. I have shared your feedback with my team, and we are all looking forward to your return.

All the very best

Yorkshire, UK
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Decided on a weekend away and picked this Hotel. Met on reception by Martin with a warm welcome. Hotel is located a minutes walk away from the beach in the heart of Southwold.

Lovely room, sort of like a bungalow over looking a garden. Room was spacious, lovely big bed with nice touches and features, big bathroom with shower and bath.

Had dinner in the bar which was lovely and they do an excellent breakfast with good quality local produce.

I would definitely go back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent visit. A great review, straight to the point! My sincere thanks, I have shared your feedback with my team, and we all are looking forward to the next visit.

Best regards

Swan Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southwold
Randolph Hotel
The White Lion Hotel
The White Lion Hotel
#3 of 4 in Aldeburgh
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,429 reviews

Been to The Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!