“Simply the best!”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Arrived Sunday evening July 13th all four of us had something different,they were all fantastic,my salmon with fresh veg was the mutz nutz! Staff and management were the friendliest in southwold. We had a wonderful time with them all. We came back Monday and they were on top form yet again! I had the same again as it was so good, a real jewel in the crown of southwold.we have one complaint! It's 50 miles from home, if it was nearer we would be there every week. Good food ,good staff , good landlord & lady, thank you everybody.

There are newer reviews for The Red Lion

Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

We sat out on the front patio which is great for people watching.

We had a few beers and lunch.
The menu had plenty to choose from with a lot of homemade options.

My husband had ham,egg and chips and after being told they didnt have any beans to go with the fish instead of peas I went for the Mediterranean vegetable pasta bake with garlic bread.

Only small niggle was that pasta was over cooked so much that I had trouble eating it with a fork but it was delicious and extremely filling!

Toilets are clean and pub itself has alot of character. Most of the staff team were friendly only bloke who I assume was the landlord seemed oddly miserable which both me and my husband picked up on on two seperate trips to the bar.

Main meals around £10.00 each,plastic cups provided if you want to sit on the green outside and dogs are welcome.

Be prepared to share a bench in busy periods!

Reviewed July 15, 2014

Heard advert on radio whilst on holiday ,decided to drive there and we weren't disappointed at all,Lovely outside and surprisingly big inside,Very friendly welcome and ambience,,Great choice of beers and the Menu looked very appetising and a great selection to choose from..There were 2 adults and 2 young adults, We all ordered something different from Fantastic tasting sausage and mash to very moreish scampi,,,I have never been out with my family and not 1 of us cleared our plate !!!! the food was very very nice and plentiful,We would recommend to anyone to try this great restaurant,,p.s. very friendly helpful staff

Reviewed July 12, 2014

Went to this pub as we stayed next door, so it was convenient. The pub was ok, could do with a bit of brightening up. Its very popular because of the location and although I did not eat the food looked fine.

Food and drink quite expensive, but I put this down to its location.

Its very convenient for both the town and beach.

Later when tourists are fewer, the pub seems a bit more like a blokes pub, rather than a family type pub.

1  Thank localpint
Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

First the good - the food was OK. Good selection and was probably the tastiest of all the gastro pubs in Southwold.

Next the bad - the service. We made the mistake of daring to ask about food before 6.30pm... The response was rude, abrupt and not what you'd expect for people in the hospitality trade.

6  Thank IdLiketoRogerMoore