“Relaxed and friendly”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Had meals here on two nights of our week in Southwold....and wouldn't hesitate returning.
Both had starters and main course which were tasty and plentiful. Family friendly and staff were delightfully cheerful.....something all too often missing in restaurants.
A view of the lighthouse from the outdoor area which admittedly seemed to be in the car park.....can't comment on that as we sat indoors. Reasonably priced though not cheap (nothing is...if you want cheap don't go to Southwold)!

Reviewed July 4, 2013

We ordered some food and it arrived very quickly, however 5 mins into our meal the waitress informed us they were closing in 5 minutes. We didn't enjoy rushing our food! Our two dogs were hot and thirsty but they didn't offer any water despite the waitress watching me trying to feed two German shepherds from a very small glass! We felt they were just waiting for us to leave so we did! Food was okay

Reviewed June 28, 2013

I think this restaurant is under-rated! We went there during our holiday and I asked for one of the starters as a main course - nothing was too much trouble for the staff and it duly arrived. The food was as good as the service.

1  Thank Rosemary R
Reviewed June 27, 2013

After a day out in Southwold last Saturday the two of us decided to try the Blue Lighthouse, and although we turned up without a booking, it was early and the lady who looked to be running front-of-house said she would fit us in on a table, which I thought was good of her, and that made a good initial impression.

After ordering some drinks we sat down and after a short while our food arrived. I opted for a goat's cheese salad and my fellow diner had a smoked chicken salad. Both were very good. The smoked chicken did have a wonderfully antique 'cindery log-fire' smokiness to it which was a lot better than some smoked chicken I've tried. For the main I tried the Sea-Bass with garam masala lentils and crushed seasoned new potatoes (also very good). We shared a desert of apple tart and vanilla pod ice-cream which finished things off nicely. Compared to the overpriced and leadenly pretentious places we had suffered the two days before in Norfolk, we were pleasantly surprised at the price and quality on offer at the Lighthouse, which beat them hands down on overall value and content.

The lighthouse is a relaxed, unpolished, unpretentious and lively little bistro on a Saturday night, and the staff were friendly and approachable, whilst getting the job done. They had to turn away a few people that hadn't booked as we neared the end of our meal, so I was somewhat nonplussed when upon leaving I thanked the lady for a satisfying meal and said I'd write a review on here. 'Oh.. please do' ( she said) we're struggling at the moment so it all helps..' If this is true then the place deserves much more custom. At any rate, I'm one more very satisfied customer!

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Lunch was a ham and mustard in a smallish section of french bread and smoked haddock fish cakes. Quality was poor and portions small - appalling value for money.

The seating in the car park (not really a dining area and a member of staff reversed past us to get out) comprised mainly of metal tables and chairs which were well past their best. Generally it was unkempt and there was a used orange juice bottle under our table. When we asked for condiments we were told that they were behind a pile of boxes on a table in a corner (I was rather expecting the waitress to get them for me).

Overall this is not a restaurant, rather a sort of cafe. Avoid at all costs, its truly awful!