“Good food and coffee, not sure about the staff”
Review of Cafe 1885

Cafe 1885
Ranked #5 of 7 Restaurants in Snape
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Good food and coffee, not sure about the staff”
Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

After being in Suffolk for a year now we finally made it to snape maltings, we went to 1885 to have breakfast.
First there wasn't much choice for breakfast especially if you're vegetarian, I had the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs and they were nice, the portion was just right.

Now the staff , they certainly did their their jobs but I don't know if they were just having a bad day or it was us who made them act like that (maybe they don't see foreigners that often? ). I did not see a smile on any of their faces, at least not while serving us and I even got a bit of a condescending look from one of them :O.

That won't discourage me though I will be going back for coffees maybe.

SnapeMaltings, Owner at Cafe 1885, responded to this review, October 6, 2014
Thank you for your comments about the food and coffee which is always good to read. I am sorry that you didn't feel that the choice for breakfast wasn't enough. We do have pastries from Pump Street Bakery and also we can cook anything you ask for as everything is cooked to order and we have a team of three chefs so please always feel free to ask.

I was really disappointed that you felt that the staff were not as friendly as they could have been, so please accept our apologies, I will of course share your thoughts with them.

I hope you will visit again (hopefully for more than coffee!)

kind regards,

London, United Kingdom
“Someone please buy the chef some seasoning!”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

We've been here once before and had the best Eccles cake in the world! This visit we had some snacks and drinks. Prompt service and nice clean tables.
We ordered the bread, baba ganoush, olives and balsamic vinegar dish, and falafel.
If I was blindfolded I could not have told you what I was eating - the baba ganoush was crying out for some salt, pepper and lemon juice. The falafel had no taste at all - it should've been herby with lovely warm spicing.

Am prepared to put this down to the chef having an off day but would make sure I ordered something different if I went back.

Visited July 2014
SnapeMaltings, Owner at Cafe 1885, responded to this review, October 6, 2014
Oh dear I am sorry if you felt that the dishes needed more seasoning, I think it can be such a difficult line to strike to suit everyone so please accept our apologies. If this ever happens again please let the staff know and we can find you something else which will suit your taste. We have a team of three chefs so there is never a day without a chef in the kitchen so do let them know as they are more than happy to ensure you enjoy your meal.

kind regards,
“Great Bistro”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

A must visit for a perfect coffee and light lunch, please try their bacon sandwich, its 1st class!! And while you're there, you overlook an amazing home wear store!!

Visited April 2014
SnapeMaltings, Owner at Cafe 1885, responded to this review, October 6, 2014
Thank you for your review. I like you also love the bacon sandwich but cannot have it every day so there is a great menu, all made to order. Thank you again!

Kind regards,
Calgary, Canada
“Our English Adventure”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

The food was very good and the service was friendly. We found it to be very expensive with our lunch of soup, salad and coffee costing $60. It was nice for an experience but very pricey

Visited June 2014
SnapeMaltings, Owner at Cafe 1885, responded to this review, October 6, 2014
Thank you for writing and I hope you enjoyed your visit to the UK.

I am sorry that you found it expensive and I know being Australian that I find the UK food prices different to my home country. We are incredibly mindful of ensuring we are good value for money so we are very careful to ensure that we compare favourably to our local menus which source their ingredients from producers in the region. I am sorry that you found it pricey but really pleased you enjoyed the experience of visiting.

Kind regards
“Ok- ish”
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

Not a bad place for a small snack, however the Welsh rarebit was so mustardy you couldn't taste any cheese and the toasted sourdough bread, whilst tasty, was incredibly hard - good job I have strong teeth! Dentures and you would be unable to eat it. The Caesar salad looked OK but small and the home made lemonade delicious but the glass like a thimble. I felt a little " done".

Visited June 2014