“Unrelaxing meal”

Plough & Sail
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Snape
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Alex and Oliver Burnside reopened the doors of The Plough and Sail in April 2012. The twin brothers aim to offer their customers delicious food and drink, a welcoming and relaxed atmosphere and exceptional service. Chef Oliver has a passion for quality, seasonal food, using produce from his local suppliers wherever possible and front-of-house Alex enjoys serving customers a range of draught lagers and ales, soft drinks and a fantastic wine list. Whether you choose a light, casual meal or a formal dinner in our restaurant, the menus feature traditional favourites, the best of modern British cuisine and dishes influenced from around the world. Every dish is cooked and presented with flair and imagination and is accompanied by a superb wine list.The Plough and Sail comprises of a spacious restaurant, a cosy bar and an intimate balcony area, perfect for private parties. There is also seating at the front of the pub and a courtyard area at the back where warm summer evenings and lazy Sundays can be enjoyed.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Food was ok but atmosphere marred by yappy, barking dogs (with inconsiderate owners). It's not unreasonable to want a bark-free dining space when out for an evening meal, so either provide your paying customers with a quieter space for those who wish to enjoy their meal without the distraction of noisy dogs, or make them aware at time of booking that your establishment favours a kennel environment over customer relaxation. That way, people can make an informed decision and choose to eat elsewhere because barking dogs are not conducive to a relaxing meal.

We heard neighbouring diners commenting about the barking so we knew it wasn't just us annoyed by it.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (690)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Stopped off for a quick lunch and the staff were all very friendly and welcoming and even had some treats for our dog! Food was very nice and reasonably priced.

Will definitely be back if in the area and thanks for being dog friendly.

Date of visit: January 2020
Reviewed December 17, 2019

If you are visiting the Malting at Snape, and you fancy a nice lunch than l would recommend eating here. On my recent trip, l fish and chips for lunch.

1  Thank mowden
Reviewed December 8, 2019

I ate here by myself . The place was very busy but as usual Alex looked after me bringing me gorgeous fish and chips with mushy minted peas. I love eating here as I get the same service as tables of four or six and nobody hassles me into finishing my meal quickly so the table can go to a more profitable group of diners, It can be noisy though as it is very popular.

2  Thank millbrook
Reviewed December 1, 2019

Based on many good reviews we visited here for dinner one Sunday evening. Staff were friendly but overall it was a disappointing experience. My tempura was batter heavy and oil saturated with a tasteless sweet chilli mayonnaise dip. Fish inside it was tasty though. Husband’s hummus was good. My skate wing was well cooked but the caper butter was strangely tasteless. Husband’s roast beef was good but served with chunks of hard inedible vegetable. As for the Yorkshire pudding...I’m frankly amazed the waitress agreed to take such a blackened, inedible lump to the table. Crumble was fine.This restaurant is grubby and dirty. The picture by our table was covered in grease and food splashes. Clean it people! Cobwebs in alcoves. We’re not just talking shabby chic here. Shame. We expected better...