We stayed at the Riverside Mildenhall for two nights before going on to the Norfolk Broads.
On arrival, we headed straight to the beautiful riverside garden with a bottle of wine while our girls enjoyed looking at the lovely flowers. What a great start. Inside, diners were enjoying Sunday lunch with live entertainment.
We had a family room which was fantastic. The girls had their own little room with a TV which they loved and we had the main room. The bathroom was nice with a good shower although my husband was disappointed there was no bath.
That evening we walked into the village which the hotel website states is an "attractive historic town." In fact, we were disappointed as found it to be a little run down. However, we enjoyed a meal at the local Chinese restaurant.
On returning to the hotel, we had a few drinks in the bar and the bartender was happy and chatty engaging in conversation with our girls. There are a good range of cocktails as well as wines.
Breakfast at the Riverside was freshly cooked to order so no queuing for cold sausages and bacon. You can help yourself to cereals, patries and juice too and this set us up for the day nicely.
After going out to Thetford Forest for the day, we returned and had afternoon tea in the garden. This was excellent value for a hotel at £7.50 per head with sandwiches, cakes, scones and tea.
That night we decided to eat in the hotel. Staff couldn't have been more accommodating and provided us with a meal for the children which wasn't on the menu, as well as making suggestions. Again we relaxed in the bar and our girls went outside in the garden to watch a Bowling game being played by guests.
To summarise, we enjoyed a relaxing stay with great service and didn't spend more money than necessary.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Riverside House Hotel is set on the picturesque banks of the river Lark and is located in the attractive historic town of Mildenhall. Despite undergoing a complete renovation in 2010, this 18th-century building has maintained its beautiful period features and is now bursting with a contemporary, modern charm. If you require spacious conference facilities for all your business related events, private dinners, weddings, parties, or summer barbecues, our picturesque grounds, stylish rooms and finest local cuisine, the Riverside House is the perfect venue. The hotel is situated near to the A11 and provides our guests with good access to all the local areas such Bury St Edmunds, Ely, Newmarket, Thetford and Cambridge - so whether you are looking for a relaxing break, a day at Newmarket races or wanting to find out more about this historic town and its surrounding villages, the Riverside House Hotel is the perfect location from which to venture. Mildenhall is host to a number of first class sporting events; our local football team is fast climbing the ranks of the semi-professional league, our cricket team boasts one of the finest grounds in the county and is host to a number of minor county games during the summer and for the more aquatic minded there is an excellent pool 5 minutes from the hotel. The Riverside has its own floodlit, 2 court petanque (boules) court in the garden for everyone to enjoy (except some Monday nights when we play in the local league. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and Agoda so you can book your Riverside House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riverside Hotel Mildenhall
- Riverside House Hotel Mildenhall, England