The Orwell Hotel
Alma Inn(Harwich)
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
All reviewsan updatepublic roomsgrand old ladylovely hotelbar priceslots of characterhigh streetfront of housetwo coursesblack puddingreception areabit datedcooked breakfastlarge roomtown centreplenty of hot watertea and coffee
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Lovely hotel on the ground floor, but so jaded and worn upstairs. We spent one night in room 113, where the carpet had two large iron-shaped burns. But the worst bit was the bathroom. Flaking paintwork, worn-out lino and a trickle of a shower that was the worst I've ever experienced in an hotel. In the morning, breakfast was a bit haphazard, with one staff member present at one point then six at another. A long wait to get tea and coffee ordered, items in the English breakfast missing off the hotplates and do you really need to order fried egg or fried bread separately? Apparently so... On leaving, none of the "How was your stay". You hand in the key card (that had to be replaced because our original one was faulty) and get a one word "Goodbye". All for £86 per night - more than I've ever paid on numerous trips to London

Room Tip: Find a room where you can't hear the neighbours far too easily - not easy or specific but there you go!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank David L
OrwellHotel, Public Relations Manager at The Orwell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2013

I'm sorry you were disappointed in your stay but very pleased to inform you that the first of our refurbished rooms are finished today with further rooms being started in the new year.
I have passed your breakfast comments onto chef who will make sure his team do not miss things off the breakfast menu.
Thank you for taking the time to post a review and we hope you will visit us again in the future.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

I stayed at the Orwell Hotel in Felixstowe for the first time last week. I have tried various accommodation in Felixstowe from B&Bs to mobile homes, but my stay at the Orwell has been the best. The room was comfortable with a flat screen TV.

The breakfast menu offered a variety of food from the full English to smoked salmon and scrambled eggs etc. The restaurant was nice, good food, attentive service and even a gentleman playing the piano. There are several other rooms to enjoy food, snacks or afternoon tea, sitting in front of a log fire.

My only one small niggle was the shower wasn't very powerful.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Janussi
OrwellHotel, Public Relations Manager at The Orwell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome to back in the near future.

We starting to renovate the bedrooms which will hopefully improve the water pressure in the bedrooms.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

We were in Felixstowe for a party and stayed overnight at the Orwell. Although the hotel looks very stuffy we found the staff all helpful and friendly. The décor is very Victorian as this was the home of a lord and it looks as if it has not changed, wood panelling, paintings etc. We had a 3 course meal for lunch which at £13 was very good value. However the hotel does need at least re decorating if not full refurbishment (which needs to keep the features). In our room we could not lock the bathroom window (we had a flat roof just below the window) and it desperately needed decorating.

Room Tip: This was our 1st time at this hotel. Our room overlooked the car park which I suppose could be noisy if there are functions at the hotel.
1  Thank Robert C

Dear Robert,
I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us here at The Orwell. You are right that our bedrooms do need modernising and we are very excited that two sample bedrooms are currently being stripped ready for Laura Ashley to start work next week.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Shockingly unclean!
In this day and age there is no room for bad housekeeping, a room can be basic but there is no room for error on the cleanliness.

Stayed (or should I say checked in & out within a couple of hours) for an important function and we were bitterly disappointed with our room, which was a suite I hasten to add.
It was a cold, unwelcoming, unloved room with a disgustingly unclean bathroom - toilet not working, pubic hairs in the bath and lots more in the sink and to top it off....a urine stained toilet seat/rim of bowl.....WORDS DO NOT DESCRIBE HOW AWFUL it was!

We complained to reception twice and as there were no more rooms available due to the function we were attending. So for the first time in my life we checked out with one of us not being able to enjoy a glass of wine as we had to drive home.

Later the same evening we discovered the duty manager had no prior knowledge of the issue and when we were contacted by the general manager the following day he had no real desire to fully rectify the issues.

We would definitely not recommend a stay here.

5  Thank sarah j
OrwellHotel, Public Relations Manager at The Orwell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

I so sorry your room wasn't up to standard and I can assure you internal measures have been taken.
You mention that the General Manger had not made the effort to make amends. The General Manager actually offered you a free weekend break but you demanded 2 cases of wine instead which he was not prepared to supply.
Such a shame that you decided not to return so that we could prove that this was a one off mistake.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

The reception area, bars and dining area promise so much. Stunning Victorian and elegant. But the room we stayed was big disappointment. Tired sums it up. Decoration needs updating, where the old latch for the key lock was just left and looked liked only just been chiselled out, the bath panel chipped and marked, taps old and not good had to run the hot tap for ages to get warm water. The sash window frames all cracked and then at 3 am the wind got up and the sash window then rattled and banged until my partner got up and wedged with tissues. A function was on downstairs which was very noisy( think a polite heads up from reception would of been nice). The service in the bar was very slow the first day we were there. But the breakfast was superb, served and lots to choose from and everything was tasty and filling cannot fault the breakfast. So as I say a mixed bag!

2  Thank cjacaz
OrwellHotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Orwell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Thank you so much for your review. We are currently in the planning process of an overdue bedroom refurbishment which will be fabulous when complete.
I'm so sorry reception did not inform you about the event I will make sure this problem is addressed.
I will also have a motivation chat with the bar staff.
So glad you enjoyed breakfast.
I hope you return after we have been refurbished.