The Ship at Dunwich
$120
Randolph Hotel(Southwold)(Great Value!)
$111
$108
Satis House Hotel(Yoxford)(Great Value!)
$111
$133
Wentworth Hotel(Aldeburgh)
$197
$191
$135
$166
All reviewsthe pubfish and chipsscotch eggdog ownersmarsh viewbeer gardensuffolk coastpork bellygreat lunchdunwich heathstable blocksister pubdog friendly pubpiefamily roomopen fireshingle beach
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I have been coming up to the Southwold area for many years, and after the stress of christmas and bereavement, myself and my fiance decided to leave London for a relaxing night away. We chose the Ship at Dunwich from the great reviews and the fact that it sounded perfect for what we wanted, away from it all and comfortable setting, we therefore booked our room through the internet and paid, what i thought was quite expensive, £117.50.
On arrival we were greeted by a friendly man who showed us to our room and explained where everything was, which was very helpful. When we initially got in to our room, we were initially quite pleased, very homely and cosy looking, this feeling soon wore off... the room we had been allocated was on the very top floor - Woods end, and therefore being in the eves of the building, was not suitable for my tall but not giant 6 foot 1 fiance, he banged his head at least three times...., the room was also obviously in need of some TLC, there were stains on the carpet, marks on the walls, the window was cracked, there was a strong smell of damp in the bathroom and also absolutely nowhere to hang coats or clothes, apart from a hook on the back of the door. The sound proofing was also horrendous, if we had known the people in the room below us, we could have a chat through the floor, definitely not the kind of place you could have been amorous....
The rest of our stay was pleasant, the dinner was good, we had fish and chips, which was ok. The bar area in the pub is cosy with an open fire. A good selection of beers, according to my fiance. I settled for a sauvignon, which I later realised was £4.55 a glass....very overpriced!!
Taking everything in to account, I would not stay here again and would not recommend it as a place to stay, possibly would recommend for an evening, but no longer. Overall I felt the room was way overpriced, we have stayed at much more comfortable places for around the £60-70, but this was almost double the price and nowhere near as nice. The area is beautiful, however being the only accomodation in Dunwich, we felt that full advantage was taken of this fact, if only a bit of that money was spent maintaining the rooms, it would have made all the difference.....

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Alis P
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We have been to the Ship Inn at Dunwich on the Suffolk coast of East Anglia on many occasions over the past 30 years and never had a problem. Adnams beer was always good and the fish and chips were fine, although never quite as good as the Fish 'n Chip place on Dunwich Beach which were always brilliant !!! This year our families decided to let the the Pub - Restaurant do the heavy lifting with our Christmas lunch......Goose , Turkey, veggie options etc...all for less than £50 a person. Problem was, the Ship Inn decided to get greedy and have far too many tables to cover, the waiting staff who made no effort at all to get into the christmas spirit were overwhelmed rushing hither and thither....the food arrived either cold or dried out ( dried out Goose - not nice !!!!!)...there was no sense of occasion, apart from when a waiter dropped a knife down my neck and back after clearing our table. He didn't notice until I told him !! The Veggie food was just about acceptable ( i'm told ) except the souffle which should be light and airy was a leaden blob.....my Goose and other members of our groups Turkey was all dried out, too long waiting to be served at the pass ! If you are going to 'do' a big Christmas lunch gig like this then charge a bit extra and serve less punters....but do it well, with a smile....and get the staff into the Christmas spirit, funny hats and a bit of sparkle rather than the trainers, sloppy Tee shirts and tired and grubby trousers that I saw.....would I go back...for a pint yes, for Christmas Lunch, not a chance. Brian and Nikki

Room Tip: We only used the restaurant
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Brianandnikki
Shipmanager, General Manager at The Ship at Dunwich, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2013

I am really upset to read your review as we know that Christmas is one of, if not the most, important lunches of the year. I want to start my response by offering our sincerest apologies for not delivering what we promised which was a truly enjoyable Christmas lunch.
I know how it must look when you are in the middle of such an experience but I want to promise yourselves and all readers of this review that we are not greedy in anyway, we just had a major mix up in communication towards the later part of the lunch session that really threw a spanner in our usually well-oiled machine. This meant that one or two tables got missed and by the time the team realised, it was too late. I myself was in charge of the kitchen that day and we tried our very best to pull it back but the damage was already done it seems. With hindsight I can see that some of the meals were rushed, for this I am utterly sorry.
We also received some fantastic feedback from the majority for whom we got it right, but I do understand the high standard of food we always aspire to serve did not reach your Christmas table.
The Ship is a very busy pub and we often see over 150 lunches served on a daily basis and my whole team are used to handling themselves very well. We made a decision not to push too much and set a cap of covers for Christmas day lunch, which normally would be a straight forward service for us; however the problem we made for ourselves also gave way to putting the whole team under pressure both out front and behind the scenes in the kitchen. We were all really looking forward to pulling off our usual slick service and towards the end of service we knew it had gone slightly wrong.
My team ask not to wear antlers or bells and we respected this as it’s a tough enough call asking them to work on Christmas, so I hope you can understand this.
Nikki and Brian, We would dearly love to put this right with you so please get in touch with me and I will do my best to replace your last memory of us with the one that we want for all our customers throughout the year.

Matthew Goodwin

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Myself and my partner travel a lot through the year and decided to do something different for New Years Eve.
We booked this earlier in 2012 and it sounded ideal, quiet place, NYE walk to the beach! Perfect... And thats what it was....
In Dunwich, there is the ship, a church, a few houses and a great tea room...and thats it! And that is just what we wanted.
The staff couldnt do enough for you, we ate great food and enjoyed 3 superb nights at the ship.
NYE was something different, champange on arrival into the bar...relaxed 4 course meal, we even delayed the sweets so we could relax a little 1st. We then just sat and chatted until just before midnight when we got taken to the beach, a short walk away and let off Chinese lanterns ( which was so funny, had to be there to appreciate this, I was the one running after mine up the beach!!) and drank Hot Chocolate and Brandy ( I opted for the Brandy only option) and then celebrated NYE on a windswept beach. I cannot say enough how enjoyable this trip was, and we are already planning on getting back down there later this year. Massive thanks to all at the ship for making our NYE the most enjoyable in years.

Room Tip: All saints room is amazing
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Steve-and-Jules-2012
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed for a couple of nights in between Christmas and New Year. The pub was really well run, food great and a lovely spot to escape and enjoy the beautiful beach and walks in the area. All the staff were brilliant and I would reccomend a stay here!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed our 2 days between Christmas and the New Year, large lovely clean room at ground floor level situated in the car park ( no problem with noise). We took our 2 dogs who were warmly welcomed by the very accomodating, polite staff of which nothing was too much bother. Lovely breakfasts lunch and evening meals delicious. Dunwich beach was a joy both early in the mornings and late at night with the flickering lights.Have already booked again for April. Cannot recommend The Ship enough.

Room Tip: Recommend Greyfriars situated in the car park lovely large room with a large wet room
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple