“Great food and accommodation for a great price.”
Review of The George

The George
Ranked #1 of 4 Cavendish B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed here for a night recently which included dinner, bed and breakfast and for what we got it was exceedingly good value. I would have happily paid more!

The meal itself was exceptional gastro pub food which left me scraping every last piece off my plate. Portions sizes were good and the presentation was excellent. Breakfast was also very good and served at a reasonable time (when I’m on holiday I don’t want to be forced to have it at 8am!).

The building itself dates from the 16th century so there's lots of period features, uneven floors and low doors. To me this gives a place character and is a bonus although it does lead to my only gripe. Our room was directly above the restaurant and we found that the noise from a particularly boisterous party travelled into our room. Not a huge problem unless you're after a quiet, early night.

I also have to mention that we were on a cycling holiday so needed somewhere to store our bikes overnight. Whilst we left them around the back when we arrived, unprompted the staff bought them inside overnight which kept them safe and dry.

I would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alan_W_12569
Bonnie S, Owner at The George, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Thank you for your lovely review....we glad you found us good value money!! Hopefully we will see you again soon....

Reviewed August 9, 2013

I can highly recommend the George for either an overnight stay or a meal. It is an old tudor building so the bedrooms have sloping floors and ceilings and exposed beams making it a really special place to spend the night. The rooms have been renovated in an attractive, modern style and it makes a nice change to see proper coffee and fresh milk in the room rather than the usual nescafe sachets and UHT milk.

The evening meal in the restaurant was fantastic, all the food was superbly cooked and presented and the service from the friendly, young waitresses was attentive and efficient without being over the top. Breakfast was superb as well.

We went for the dinner, bed and breakfast option which is good value if you want to go for the full three-course meal experience as you are able to choose anything from the a la carte menu. They also offer a set meal at lunch and dinner but this has fewer choices.

Don't bother with the other pubs in the village, one was closed both times we tried to visit and the other was a disaster area. Although the George is definitely more restaurant than pub it does have a small bar area and a lovely garden for a pre-dinner drink.

Room Tip: Look on the website as it has descriptions and photos of all the rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a kind and well informed review of your stay. I am glad you enjoyed the little touches we offer in the rooms......We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We had relatives staying with us following a family wedding and decided there was no better restaurant to take them to than here. The staff are so friendly and will go out of their way to ensure you have a great meal. As a party of eight we sat in the window seating area therefore our guests felt very special. The food was great and was well presented as usual. The waitresses were very attentive and the evening was very enjoyable. The restaurant was busy which was nice to see and I would highly recommend this restaurant , maybe we should stay here soon and try the breakfast.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We went to the George to celebrate my mother's birthday - we were 6 adults and 3 children. It was a sunny day so we sat out in the courtyard. The table had plenty of shade from the hot mid-day sun. The waitress was prompt without being pushy and we all settled down with a pre-meal drink. The food was a real surprise - not your normal pub-grub fare. I had mackerel to start followed by spicy lamb and couscous - the starter came with a great salad and was top notch. The lamb could have been spicier but was very tasty. The kids had burgers that looked amazing and were clearly enjoyed.
We all really enjoyed our lunch - great food - beautiful setting - and friendly staff. Thanks.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Gros-Cochon
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My wife and I recently visited relatives and decided to stay at The George as a little treat.

We were made to feel most welcome upon arrival and shown our room, which was absolutely superb. A lovely large bed, high vaulted ceiling, spacious with a well appointed ensuite bathroom. Flat screen TV included, along with wifi.

You will not be disappointed with the views of the village green. I can certainly recommend a stroll in the peace and quiet of this gorgeously idyllic place.

Breakfast was scrumptious with home made bread and a full English par excellence.

My only criticism would be upon our departure. The other guest were given a kindly thank you and farewell, but for some reason we were not afforded the same courtesy. Far from it in fact!. This slightly spoiled the experience and perhaps some customer care could be instilled in the staff.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nicholas M
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Meal for 10 was accommodated easily and service was good. Food delicious, but personally I found my main meal not as filling as I would have liked. Duck with risotto and roasted beetroot was my choice and there was perhaps only one spoonful of risotto. Same again with the dessert, delicious but it was described as a banana crumble with peanut butter ice cream etc... However I doubt if the crumble sprinkled in the banana was one pinch of crumbs so not quite what I was expecting. The sorbets looked good and mini desserts also. My starter of scallops and prosciutto was absolutely great.
The steaks I am told were excellent and came with chips and mushrooms, plenty filling enough. The black bream came with a filling salad. The burgers came with chips etc. The bread basket rolls were homemade, warm and wonderful.
Yes I would go there again but would need to have a side order to go with some of the main meals.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 6, 2013

As usual we stayed again at The George. We return every year (from New Zealand). The bed is comfortable and the shower good. The staff are very helpful and lovely and the food is super. Breakfast consists of freshly squeezed orange juice, Greek yoghurt and stewed berries then croissants or cooked breakfast of bacon and eggs or smoked salmon. Dinner is always great and we love it here. Just wish they would invest in some better pillows (i.e. feather/down) as theirs are rubbish! A grab handle over the bath would be helpful too as the shower is over the bath. Very steep stairs but the friendly staff carry your suitcases up and down. Just hold on yourselves if you are getting older !!!

Room Tip: Rooms 1 and 2 on the front are bigger for couples and although its a busy road during the day it is...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Maturity
Bonnie S, Owner at The George, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Thank you for your review. You will be pleased to know, as a result of our conversation during your stay i have invested in some new pillows!! Look forward to seeing you again in the autumn....take care.

Been to The George? Share your experiences!