We stayed here for a night recently which included dinner, bed and breakfast and for what we got it was exceedingly good value. I would have happily paid more!
The meal itself was exceptional gastro pub food which left me scraping every last piece off my plate. Portions sizes were good and the presentation was excellent. Breakfast was also very good and served at a reasonable time (when I’m on holiday I don’t want to be forced to have it at 8am!).
The building itself dates from the 16th century so there's lots of period features, uneven floors and low doors. To me this gives a place character and is a bonus although it does lead to my only gripe. Our room was directly above the restaurant and we found that the noise from a particularly boisterous party travelled into our room. Not a huge problem unless you're after a quiet, early night.
I also have to mention that we were on a cycling holiday so needed somewhere to store our bikes overnight. Whilst we left them around the back when we arrived, unprompted the staff bought them inside overnight which kept them safe and dry.
I would highly recommend this place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A warm welcome awaits you in this 16th-century restaurant with rooms. The George is situated on the edge of the village green in Cavendish, positioned in between the popular villages of Clare and Long Melford and just a short drive from the timeless village of Lavenham. Since October 2010, co-owners Lewis Bennet & Bonnie Steel have achieved their 2nd Rosette and four gold stars from the AA & Visit Britain tourist guides. The emphasis at The George is on the quality of food and customer service. The menus offer a wide range of dishes to suit all tastes and budgets. The menus change frequently and are guided by the seasons. We aim to use the highest quality, sustainably sourced ingredients and utilise our garden to grow seasonal items such as baby leaf, beetroot, edible flowers, tomatoes and herbs to use on the menu. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Book Direct Rooms, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and Cheap Tickets so you can book your The George reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The George Hotel Cavendish
- The George Cavendish, Suffolk