“Very nice”

White Hart Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Blythburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

Lovely place!
Visited for lunch with a friend, very inviting atmosphere and lovely roaring fire.
Menu is very nice, however was lacking some basic healthy options. No jacket potatoes available for example.
I was dithering about my food choice as I didn't want anything too rich, I eventually went for steak, which was cooked perfectly.
I opted for new potatoes and veg instead of chips and onion rings, sadly I needn't have bothered as the veg and potatoes were swimming in butter. Damn.
I think if they offered choice in these matters things would be better! Maybe a "house salad" of some kind.
Having said that, the food was delicious, butter and all, and my friends meal looked lovely, if not a little stingy on the chips, which were served in a cute little basket.
I would definitely go back, but be clearer on my choices of food!
The staff were wonderful and friendly.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 23, 2014

This pub/restaurant/inn is well known to me having something of a chequered past despite being an Adnams flagship establishment. It now has new owners who are pulling it up by its bootstraps. It will take time but already, the quality of the food is excellent with the new regime in the kitchen taking effect. The new owners come with an excellent reputation from their previous establishment and I have no doubt this will go from strength to strength. The staff levels are questionable as they get to grips with the customer supply and demand but I'm sure this will settle down. We have been twice in the last month and both times we have enjoyed exceptional cooking. The location is superb overlooking the Bulcamp Marshes and very convenient for Southwold - and the accommodation has got to be ideal for birdwatchers!

Room Tip: We have only used this establishment as a restaurant and pub but I noticed that previous owners have...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Visited here on a Saturday so it was quite busy. Service was prompt and the menu contained some interesting dishes which were very tasty. However we noticed that at about 13.30 all their systems completely collapsed. Orders were not being taken so people left, people were not getting food and when one table’s food eventually arrived a dish was missing. It took ages to get the bill. There is a lovely walk along the river from the end of the car park. There are also outside tables. Would however go again as the food was very good.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I went with my partner after visiting his sister in Raydon. Her partner suggested that we all go to this restaurant as this was now under new management and that their previous restaurants had been very good quality. To be fair to the TWO waitresses that I saw it was an extremely busy Saturday.

We sat down and we were going to order several starters to share, when the lady came over to take our order, we were told that one of the starters we wanted was no longer available. The waitress pursaded us to have an "iffits", a seafood platter of sorts. When it came it looked very tasty however on closer inspection, the shell on prawns still had roe attached to the majority of them, although I understand that they can be eaten like this, it was extremely off putting for me and my partner and we did not eat them. I have checked with other restaurateurs since this experience and most said they should all be washed and cleaned before being cooked. It was also very messy and no finger bowl was provided. I had to then go to the bathroom to wash my hands free of eggs and prawn entrails.

Our empty starter plates lay in front of us for about 10 minutes and then the plates were taken in 5 minute slots, this was because the restaurant was very busy and not meant to insult the TWO ladies working there.

My starter more than made up for the disappointing starter. Crackling pork belly in chorizo was sublime. It was really tasty however I was still a little put off by the starter and was not able to finish it all. My partner and his family also enjoyed there meal this included a very price friendly half lobster salad. We finished with our meal and asked for the bill - after 10 minutes we walked to the bar and asked as it seemed we had been forgotten.

As previously stated the restaurant was very busy and I personally felt that the two waitresses could have done with some help. The starter was a let down however the main was sublime. I would be willing to give the restaurant another opportunity however I feel that the most testing time for the standards of food is when it is busy.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

I live locally and want a good local with good food. Overall that's what the 'Hart provides. The new management have come with a good reputation. The food is good but the prices are now on the high side. Presentation can be more style over function (wooden slabs and small baskets).

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Just ate here today and I was very pleased with the service and the food. Very generous portions and minimal waiti. The staff are very friendly and it was a relief to be able to eat without someone coming up to you mid way through your meal asking if everything is ok. Will defo be back there.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed March 15, 2014

What has happened in such a short time. Last year I gave this pub a very good review because of the good food and good service. I have not been for a few months and I have been two time in the last few weeks. I gave it a second go in case it was a bad night but no it appears that it has gone down hill rapidly.
No more friendly staff just two people who did not seem to care. We were told that they had run out of heating oil and that the place was cold so we would be better in the bar and not the dining room. We were handed some food stained menus which with low lighting was next to impossible to read. There were very few ‘specials’ and the main coursed were just café type, fish and chips, sausage and mash, burger etc. we had goats cheese salad starters and played hunt the cheese. We were ignored throughout the evening and had to go up to the bar to ask for anything we wanted and when I got home I saw that I had been charged for a drink we did not have.
Both visits were Friday night and the place was virtually empty, it seems that others have got the message before me.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blythburgh
The Ship at Dunwich
#1 of 2 in Wangford
The Stables at Henham Park
The Stables at Henham Park
#5 of 19 in Southwold

Been to White Hart Inn? Share your experiences!