“Systems broke down”
Review of White Hart Inn

White Hart Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Blythburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Visited here on a Saturday so it was quite busy. Service was prompt and the menu contained some interesting dishes which were very tasty. However we noticed that at about 13.30 all their systems completely collapsed. Orders were not being taken so people left, people were not getting food and when one table’s food eventually arrived a dish was missing. It took ages to get the bill. There is a lovely walk along the river from the end of the car park. There are also outside tables. Would however go again as the food was very good.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for White Hart Inn

Reviewed April 14, 2014

I went with my partner after visiting his sister in Raydon. Her partner suggested that we all go to this restaurant as this was now under new management and that their previous restaurants had been very good quality. To be fair to the TWO waitresses that I saw it was an extremely busy Saturday.

We sat down and we were going to order several starters to share, when the lady came over to take our order, we were told that one of the starters we wanted was no longer available. The waitress pursaded us to have an "iffits", a seafood platter of sorts. When it came it looked very tasty however on closer inspection, the shell on prawns still had roe attached to the majority of them, although I understand that they can be eaten like this, it was extremely off putting for me and my partner and we did not eat them. I have checked with other restaurateurs since this experience and most said they should all be washed and cleaned before being cooked. It was also very messy and no finger bowl was provided. I had to then go to the bathroom to wash my hands free of eggs and prawn entrails.

Our empty starter plates lay in front of us for about 10 minutes and then the plates were taken in 5 minute slots, this was because the restaurant was very busy and not meant to insult the TWO ladies working there.

My starter more than made up for the disappointing starter. Crackling pork belly in chorizo was sublime. It was really tasty however I was still a little put off by the starter and was not able to finish it all. My partner and his family also enjoyed there meal this included a very price friendly half lobster salad. We finished with our meal and asked for the bill - after 10 minutes we walked to the bar and asked as it seemed we had been forgotten.

As previously stated the restaurant was very busy and I personally felt that the two waitresses could have done with some help. The starter was a let down however the main was sublime. I would be willing to give the restaurant another opportunity however I feel that the most testing time for the standards of food is when it is busy.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

I live locally and want a good local with good food. Overall that's what the 'Hart provides. The new management have come with a good reputation. The food is good but the prices are now on the high side. Presentation can be more style over function (wooden slabs and small baskets).

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Just ate here today and I was very pleased with the service and the food. Very generous portions and minimal waiti. The staff are very friendly and it was a relief to be able to eat without someone coming up to you mid way through your meal asking if everything is ok. Will defo be back there.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed March 15, 2014

What has happened in such a short time. Last year I gave this pub a very good review because of the good food and good service. I have not been for a few months and I have been two time in the last few weeks. I gave it a second go in case it was a bad night but no it appears that it has gone down hill rapidly.
No more friendly staff just two people who did not seem to care. We were told that they had run out of heating oil and that the place was cold so we would be better in the bar and not the dining room. We were handed some food stained menus which with low lighting was next to impossible to read. There were very few ‘specials’ and the main coursed were just café type, fish and chips, sausage and mash, burger etc. we had goats cheese salad starters and played hunt the cheese. We were ignored throughout the evening and had to go up to the bar to ask for anything we wanted and when I got home I saw that I had been charged for a drink we did not have.
Both visits were Friday night and the place was virtually empty, it seems that others have got the message before me.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 1, 2014

This is an excellent inn on the A12, with a car park overlooking the Blyth estuary. From there you can walk down to an excellent hide with good views of waders and others. The food is good pub grub with a few more adventurous items on the menu. I have not seen the accomodation, but it is relatively recent. A good selection of Adnams ales and wines are always available. While there, why not buy a pin badge of one of the birds that you have seen in support of the RSPB. The Minsmere reserve is a short car ride away.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We ate dinner here on the Saturday before Christmas. The menu was good and the food well prepared and tasty and the beer fab of course. The sticky toffee pudding was the best I've had all winter - and I've sampled a few! The log fire was blazing and there was even a chap singing Christmas tunes. I think it must have been the wild weather keeping people away as it was quiet. Look forward to going back in the summer and enjoying the food and the unparalleled views of the estuary.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blythburgh
Randolph Hotel
#4 of 4 in Southwold
The Angel Inn
The Angel Inn
#1 of 1 in Wangford

Been to White Hart Inn? Share your experiences!