“From very good to very poor in a few months”
Review of White Hart Inn

White Hart Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Blythburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 15, 2014

What has happened in such a short time. Last year I gave this pub a very good review because of the good food and good service. I have not been for a few months and I have been two time in the last few weeks. I gave it a second go in case it was a bad night but no it appears that it has gone down hill rapidly.
No more friendly staff just two people who did not seem to care. We were told that they had run out of heating oil and that the place was cold so we would be better in the bar and not the dining room. We were handed some food stained menus which with low lighting was next to impossible to read. There were very few ‘specials’ and the main coursed were just café type, fish and chips, sausage and mash, burger etc. we had goats cheese salad starters and played hunt the cheese. We were ignored throughout the evening and had to go up to the bar to ask for anything we wanted and when I got home I saw that I had been charged for a drink we did not have.
Both visits were Friday night and the place was virtually empty, it seems that others have got the message before me.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 1, 2014

This is an excellent inn on the A12, with a car park overlooking the Blyth estuary. From there you can walk down to an excellent hide with good views of waders and others. The food is good pub grub with a few more adventurous items on the menu. I have not seen the accomodation, but it is relatively recent. A good selection of Adnams ales and wines are always available. While there, why not buy a pin badge of one of the birds that you have seen in support of the RSPB. The Minsmere reserve is a short car ride away.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We ate dinner here on the Saturday before Christmas. The menu was good and the food well prepared and tasty and the beer fab of course. The sticky toffee pudding was the best I've had all winter - and I've sampled a few! The log fire was blazing and there was even a chap singing Christmas tunes. I think it must have been the wild weather keeping people away as it was quiet. Look forward to going back in the summer and enjoying the food and the unparalleled views of the estuary.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 30, 2013

On a holiday over the Christmas break,we booked into the White hart at Blythburgh for our Christmas lunch,and were not disappointed,we were made to feel very welcome by the staff,and the lunch itself was very good with very ample portions,we would like to hopefully return again in the near future.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Very disappointing for a Sunday family Christmas lunch, food very poor, we had hoped for an improvement since our last visit but sadly not. A few years ago the food was excellent, bring a chef it was all very sad virtually no Christmas decorations either so no atmosphere.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We had hoped that since our last visit some time ago things might have improved but unfortunately not. The young lady behind the bar was very polite, the beer was excellent and well kept but sadly the meal was poor.
In our group of three we all had a different meal and not one of us could say "that was great". Mine was cold and very uninspiring so much so that I had to ask for it to be reheated, unfortunately it wasn't much better.
This is a lovely country inn with splendid views and walks. I do hope they look at their food and ask "is this value for money ?" At this moment I fear not.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Had a good meal at the White Hart, early Sat. evening. The place was deserted but the log fire was burning and there were candles on the table. We sat in the bar area with it's impressive carved beams, which seemed much more inviting than the restaurant. Service was friendly, polite, helpful and quick. Prices were reasonable: cheaper than a lot of places in the area. I had a lovely vegetarian curry - big, hearty portion with a big mound of rice. Hubby had rib-eye steak: the most expensive thing on the menu. It was delicious but not huge and a large amount of it was fat. For pudding I enjoyed a lemon posset: the most indulgent, rich, creamy and scrumptious thing I've tasted all year.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blythburgh
The Ship at Dunwich
The Angel Inn
The Angel Inn
#1 of 2 in Wangford
Sutherland House Hotel & Restaurant

Been to White Hart Inn? Share your experiences!