“Sunday lunch was a disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of White Hart Inn

White Hart Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Blythburgh B&B and Inns
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Sunday lunch was a disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2012

Me and my husband decided to have Sunday lunch at The Blythburgh White Hart. We were expecting the place to be fairly busy, but it was actually very quiet. On arrival a male who appeared to be the chef was having a cigarette at the rear of the pub. We both chose the roast beef priced at £10.50. When the meal arrived, we were both disappointed. The beef was cut into thick, fairly tough slabs, the yorkshire pudding was nothing special, the vegetables looked as though they had been boiled to within an inch of their lives in the same pan (broccoli, peas and courgettes) and served mixed together as one side dish with a side dollop of mashed swede/turnip? There wasn't a lot of gravy on the plate, but more was brought to the table on request. On the plus side, the roast potatoes were nice. We decided to give the spotted dick and custard a try as dessert. Another disappointment. It was a small square of sticky gloopy stuff and the custard had skin in as though it had stood a while in the kitchen and been stirred before being poured into our bowls - this cost £5.95! I felt that good money was spent on a poor quality meal. We have previously eaten at The White Hart for an evening meal and been happy with the food that was served. I would certainly avoid their Sundays roasts in future!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2011

We have not been to the White Hart for many years.......so we thought we would give it a try
I must say i was slighly put off when we arrived at seeing staff sat outside smoking at a very messy table,, Ido not have a problem with people smoking in general. but having worked in the public house and restaurant trade for many years my staff would not have been sat there smoking! does not give a good impression .... As for the food very disappointing
e.g. bread was stale could have broken a tooth, undercooked meat and salad that was drowned in dressing. I would have complained but by then we had had enough the woman at the next table was driving us mad with her constant i am wonderful chatter i felt sorry for her company .. but this was not the White Harts fault......so we went on our way.....

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

This must have been about my 10th stay at the White Hart, having stumbled upon the place nearly 2 years ago on a day trip. It is a haven from my busy London life. I've stayed there solo, with friends and with my partner - in each circumstance it provided just the right balance of warm, friendly welcome from staff, and relaxed independence in the self-contained chalet rooms. The surroundings, as others have said, are blissful. The rooms are pleasant, simple and clean. Everyone I have brought here wants to come back!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

After reading some of the other reviews, I am wondering if I stayed at the same place as the other reviewers did.

I stayed at the White Hart for one night. On arrival about 4:30pm, I was immediately greeted by the landlord Sean with a cheery smile and a warm welcome. There were plenty of customers on the premises and more sitting at the tables outside overlooking the beautiful views of the lakes and marshlands. The restaurant was busy and people were enjoying themselves.

I asked Sean if i could book a table for the restaurant at short notice and was glad the he could accommodate me as it was a Tuesday and busy but not stretched.

We were shown to our room and I immediately checked the shower as this appeared to be a major problem with another reviewer. It was properly fixed and working very well. I had a good look round tried to find fault - but the room was lovely and airy, light and with tea, coffee making facilities, clean fresh towels and a lovely view. My only negative point was that I found the mattress on the bed, just a bit hard. But that is because I like a soft bed. My wife prefers a harder mattress and slept like a log. No fault of the White Hart, thats is MY taste.

The meal was excellent. I had locally caught fish and chips and enjoyed every part of it. The staff were courteous and smiled all evening.

The next day - I had a full english breakfast to start my day and left with a hearty handshake and a fond farewell from Sean and the staff. - Oh by the way the `wake me up` shower I had that morning was hot and refreshing. - Well Done Sean

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank Thee-Daddy.
Norwich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

We loved the fact our dog was welcome here.Fabulous location overlooking the marshes and a wealth of birdlife.The room itself was very bland and could be changed very easily to give it a bit of oomph.The meals were not fantastic and the breakfast (cooked) was different every morning depending on who was cooking it.Each day the assembled masses of staff etc sat out morning and evening and smoked on the patio area.The tables themselves (outside) had bottles that were overflowing with cigarette butts.Think about your clientele and make it an unforgettable stay for the right reasons.You have the location you have the facility you have the opportunity....

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ROBINONorwich
East Sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2011

We were staying elsewhere near The White Hart, but ate in the restaurant 6 evenings out of the 7 we were there.

The food is very tasty and well presented serving good quality local produce. Very good wine also. The staff are so friendly and welcoming which is a great plus point.

We loved our evenings there. Thank you to all the staff. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank boopsyEastSussex
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2011

My family and i decided to go away for a few day and chose the white hart as it seemed a very relaxed and friendly atmosphere and i was right the staff were all very welcoming and friendly, the room we stay in was very clean and we had no complaints. the staff did the upmost to make our stay as relaxed as we wanted it to be they were very polite and the service was fantastic. the food was lovely.
Overall we had a fantastic stay and would recommend to all our family and friends. and we would certainly go back again so thank you to all the staff at the white hart for a fantastic few days away x

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blythburgh
Randolph Hotel
The White Lion Hotel
The White Lion Hotel
#3 of 4 in Aldeburgh
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,399 reviews

Been to White Hart Inn? Share your experiences!