“Such a totally perfect weekend” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Titchwell Manor Hotel

Titchwell Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Titchwell
“Such a totally perfect weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

I've never written a review on here before, just read others as a guide. I have no idea where other peoples' complaints and moans have come from, maybe they made it hard for themselves.
This place is nothing short of perfect. We had a beautiful room that was spacious, well laid out, comfortable and attractive. The bed was, for me, was ideal. Comfy, crisp clean sheets, feather & synthetic pillows for choice, big, warm and just what you want after a day outdoors.
Our bathroom was equally perfect; clean, tidy, with lovely toiletries supplied (I've already tried to find these online having got back only a few hours ago!!). Lovely soft towels warmed on towel radiator.
The staff were fantastic, so warm and welcoming. Nothing was too much trouble and we felt completely at ease around them.
The food was also fantastic. Delicious, well cooked local produce...faultless.
The area is stunning, great for walks and seal boat trips.
The family have done such a fantastic job here, we'd love to go back...tomorrow perhaps?!!

• Stayed December 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TitchwellManor, Manager at Titchwell Manor Hotel, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your recent stay with us. All of our staff and I are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed you stay with us.
We would love to welcome you back tomorrow!
Many thanks and best wishes Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Bury St Edmunds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

I was promised a 'magical mystery tour' for my birthday and that turned out to be an overnight stay at Titchwell Manor and dinner in the conservatory restaurant.

Titchwell looks out over the North Norfolk coastline which I love in any weather. The main part of the hotel is an eclectic mix of vintage meets classic decor, not to everyone's taste but I liked it, especially the giant yellow chesterfield. The welcome was warm and the fires were on in the sitting room which was a lovely place to be. We stayed in the courtyard rooms around the herb garden in the Marjoram room. It was comfortable, the bed was enormous, lovely bathroom, nicely furnished and a jar of delicious home made cookies accompanied the tray to make tea in the room.
Titchwell have two tasting menus - the 'Full Conversation' of 8 courses - £90/head with wine for each course or £75 for the 'Brief Conversation' of 4 courses. We opted for the full. It was my birthday after all! Chef, Eric Snaith, served us 8 very memorable courses. It took 3 and a half hours and we loved every minute. Highlights include a cranberry and fois gras macaroon canapé, Cep custard, Holkham estate venison, a refreshing Sea buckthorn sorbet and the matched wines were perfect. There was a signed copy of the menu on the table to take way as a souvenir which was also a nice touch.
Breakfast in the morning was also brilliant. Everything home made - from 3 different types of home made granola (the marmalade one was lovely) to the bread and preserves. I had wild mushrooms on toast with truffles and a fried duck egg - really delicious and a nice change from a full English though I am assured by my benefactor that it was also very tasty!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
TitchwellManor, Owner at Titchwell Manor Hotel, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a nice review. I'm really pleased you enjoyed our 'Conversation menu' , it's something we work hard at and are proud of, so it's very pleasing to hear how much you enjoyed your evening.
We all hope to welcome you again in the near future.
Kind regards Eric
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

I had a lovely birthday stay organised by my husband. I stayed with my two sons and their girlfriends, and my little dog Bertie. We had an enjoyable meal and a superb breakfast, the waiters were charming and very accommodating. The hotel features lovely open fires and very comfortable surroundings, I would recommend the hotel to anyone. I would suggest they put hair conditioner in the rooms, and extra biscuits for the dog, But a great start to my half century !! Thank you lovely titchwell

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed celebrating your birthday with us. We are looking into having conditioner in the rooms and the bags of dog biscuits have now increased in size, so we thank you for your comments.
Kindest regards Mark
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

We recently decided to take an out of season break at Titchwell Manor a place we have visited previously, and enjoyed very much. As usual the booking process was streamline with courteous reception staff and a very quick confirmation email of our two night stay.

On arrival the fire was burning and the atmosphere was warm which was so good on a cold November evening! We checked in and were shown to our room in the herb garden. The heating had been on and the room was lovely and warm, it had recently been re-decorated to a very high standard and the super king sized bed looked so inviting. The room had doors leading out to a beautiful field and you could see for miles as the evening grew darker. I loved the bathroom with a wet room shower arrangement and jumped in to freshen up before dinner.

On arrival back in the bar area we were greeted by the restaurant manager, Mark who took our drinks order and we retired into the lounge area and sank into the sofa watching the flames on the open fire. After another drink a waitress asked if we were dining and I told her we were opting to eat off the standard menu tonight and have a go at the conversation menu the next night. She immediately returned with two menus and a wine list and said she would pop back in 10 minutes to take our order. This she did, and we ordered. I chose a reasonably priced bottle of Shiraz and asked for it to be opened and placed on the table.

The waitress came back 10 minutes later and led us to our table. A complimentary brad basket arrived and I remember thinking how delicious it tasted. It was clearly baked on the premises and this was confirmed by our waitress. The conservatory restaurant was warm and the atmosphere was superb. Some other guests were already digging into their food and the place felt so comforting.

My wife chose the tempura oysters which were delicious and the batter so light and crispy. A lovely chili jam accompanied them. I had the Brancaster mussels which were cooked to perfection and I am so glad it came with a spoon as the cooking liquor was fantastic! My wife had the Dexter beef pie which was beautiful and a hearty portion, also being a meat fan I plumped for the rib eye which was cooked exactly to my request of medium rare. We decided on a shared cheese board to end before returning into the lounge area for a night cap.

We spent the next day out sightseeing and called in to Burnham Market for a coffee before returning back to our room to relax and get ready for the evening meal. I would be here for ever reviewing the conversation menu so I will save that for another time, but all I can say is that it was a masterpiece. A stunning experience with such a range of flavours all working together individually to provide each dish its own unique experience. Every plate of food was a masterpiece the kind of thing I would expect to be paying £150 for at the Fat Duck! The head Chef and his team are genius!

I cannot finish without mentioning the breakfasts which are superb. Organic rare breed pig for sausage, bacon and black pudding which tasted delightful and the wild mushrooms on toast with Norfolk Dapple cheese was once again a work of culinary art with beautiful flavours! All in all perfect!

The mini break was faultless and so nice to note that just because we went out of season the same high standards we witnessed in the summer were present. I believe the hotel has recently won an award and the head Chef won Norfolk Chef of the year. Both are well deserved awards and I can highly recommend. We shall certainly be going back very soon!

Room Tip: The Herb Garden rooms are stunning!
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your very kind comments. They have all been passed on to the whole team and they are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay.
We look forward to welcoming you soon,
Best wishes Eric
Norwich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

Booked one night away for my husband & myself. After a painful start to trying to book a room & being TOO friendly with the receptionist we thought we would go as the place we like to stay in Brancaster was full. On arrival the young lady on reception called Sarah was lovely, showing us to our room in the herb garden building. The room was lovely & very clean we unpacked & got ready for dinner. I has pre-booked dinner, but we were earlier asked if we could bring it forward. This was not a problem & only a handful of people were dining. We ordered drinks at the bar & a lovely young lady called Penny served us.............but wait for it out of no where came a what I can say must be the rudest person my husband & I have ever come across.........we both have travel & dinned in some wonderful place so very used to good service..........the list of her rudeness is so long, but I will add just a couple. We ordered for our starter mussels........something we both enjoy in season............the person in question make to our table with the bread basket & finger bowls......on putting mine down she said "madam your lemon soup".........strange comment to a person you have never met before & very rude....all we could hear was her moaning about being behind the bar.......thank goodness the other young lady came to collect our plates..........we asked that she serve us from there on, but sadly that didn't happen.........I had ordered fish & chips for main course & it was awful...the batter was under cooked........we were left with the food in front of us for nearly 30 minutes........& when the very rude person came back & then got really nasty when I said that the fish & chips were not very good.......she became very rude & asked if it had come out like that..........I wonder if she has ever seen fish & chips??? My husband asked her to leave us alone & she still remained & was very RUDE. By this time I had enough & we thought it best just to go back to our room.............the young lady Sarah tried to make up for her rudeness by asking that we sit by the fire & have a dessert, but I felt very uneasy........my husband & I had a chat with Sarah & as we moved closer to reception she was then sitting on reception desk!!! we returned to our room no:-26 only to be met by the barking dog in the room next door...........yes poor thing barked for over an hour..............we have two dogs, but would never take them to a place with people so close..............did we have a good break??? yes we had a great time when we pulled out of the drive the next morning...........I can say that Sarah & Penny were lovely & I hope the owners really take a close look at their staffing problems as it could be a lovely place..........oh breakfast the next morning was VERY slow, I think staff storage & a some thing we had ordered a news paper to be delivered to our room.........do you think we got it.......nope course not.........it was like a really awful FAULTY TOWERS............everything that could go wrong did & at £175 for one night & dinner..........VERY DISAPPOINTED

• 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Debbie H
Thank you for taking your time to give us your feedback on your stay with us. Firstly, thank you for the positive feedback regarding Sara and Penny, as well as the room and its cleanliness, this has been passed on to those concerned and is appreciated. We are very sorry that there was such an apparent personality clash between yourself and the staff member that you are complaining about. The waitress has worked for us for over two years and we have never received another complaint about her, she is a very valued and highly regarded member of staff. We are a family hotel and encourage our staff to retain their own personalities and build a rapport with customers. Clearly here this is not what you wanted or expected and we are very sorry for that. I would like to take the chance to tell you that on the night in question, she herself was in tears from the way that she was spoken to, we have discussed at length with her all of your comments, and in any future situation, she will let someone else deal with the table. I send my sincere apologies for the batter on your fish and chips, I have spoken to my chefs and we are testing the batter recipe, as clearly what you experienced is not up to our standards and is very disappointing. Regards, Eric Snaith
Kelvedon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

Havin booked a 2 night weekend break to celebrate my husbands 50th birthday, we were looking forward to our sea-view room (Rm 2) and some good food. However, the room was a disappointing size as the photo of it on the website made it appear significantly bigger than it actually was, and an unpleasant smell was evident on entering the room. Further investigation revealed a most vile aroma emanating from the shower plughole. We immediately asked to change rooms and were duly offered a Herb Garden room. This was a lovely room and much larger, but did not have the sea view we'd so wanted. Our tariff was adjusted accordingly and the changes executed with politeness and courtesy.
All the meals were of an exceptionally high standard, but we repeatedly waited long periods of time for both our orders to be taken and then for the actual courses to arrive.
Staff were always helpful and accomodating, but we weren't impressed, on checking out, to receive a haughty and defensive response when we expressed our disappointment at not being able to have our sea view. "You were put in another room, so what else did you expect us to do?" was the response.
We have stayed in numerous hotels where we have payed a similar tariff, and feel that on this occasion, we did not receive as much for our money as at the other hotels. Check out The Brudenell at Aldeburgh, The Hoste Arms at Burnham Market or The Pheasant at Harome in North Yorkshire.
A pleasant atmosphere, and staff that try hard to please are both evident here, but on certain levels the whole experience seems to fall short of the standards met by the aforementioned hotels. The finer details need to be a little more polished, particularly when you're paying such a lot of money!

Room Tip: Don't rely on the room photos on the website to accurately represent the size of the room. The p...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Heather C
TitchwellManor, Manager at Titchwell Manor Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
I am so sorry that you were disappointed with your room, I am pleased that reception were able to promptly move you to another room, unfortunately not one with sea views, which we know you had your heart set on. The photos on our website are taken by our photographer and not enhanced in any way, I am sorry that it did not meet your expectations, certainly there is no intention to mislead people. Unfortunately some of are rooms are indeed smaller than others, as it is a Victorian building rather than purpose built. I am pleased that you enjoyed your food, we will certainly look into the slow service that you experienced. I have spoken to the receptionist in question and she sends her sincere apologies if she came across in the manner you describe. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you wish to discuss any of this further. Yours sincerely, Mark (Hotel Manager)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

We had previously visited Titchwell for one of the best meals/weekends away that we have had in the UK. We'd been so impressed that we rebooked a couple of months later and invited my partner's daughter and her husband. The price of dinner, B&B was very steep - on a par with London prices - but we we sure that it would be worth it. Check in was fine and the bedrooms were pleasant, but with no view. We spent an idyllic afternoon in the garden enjoying some of the tapas served in the bar. However, we'd hoped that dinner (we'd all ordered the tasting menu)would be the highight of our visit but were terribly disappointed. The problems are almost too many to list, but I will cover some of the lowlights:
1. The waitress was terribly condesending, yet couldn't actually tell us what was being served on each plate. Lots of anonymous marinades and 'dehydrated grapes' (raisins surely?!).
2. The wine waiter decided to rearrange two of our food courses to follow his wine selection, but didn't communicate with the kitchen. This meant that they began to set the table for dessert before we had had the beef that we had all been looking forward to. We eventually got our steaks after 40 minutes. Overcooked and almost inedible.
3. Every course was terribly, excessively sweet. By the time that the cheese course arrived in the form of a brie creme brulee, I was desperate for something savory and asked for a simple cheeseboard. The waitress did bring a cheeseboard, very cold and clearly very hastily assembled. She didn't offer to explain the cheeses, but on being pressed, did identify each one. When I took a large slice of the 'Lincolshire Poacher cheese', I realised too late that it was butter and not cheese. When I pointed this out to the waiter, he simply said 'I hate it when that happens'.
4. Overall, service was incredibly slow, and - although we had begun dinner early - by the time our final course was served, virtually all staff had left and it was nearly midnight. We had been hoping for coffee and brandy by the fire, but just ran out of enthusiasm by the end of the night. it had become an endurance rather than a pleasure.

We complained the following morning, and the complaint was handled very courteously and professionally and an appropriate discount was offered. However, we never received the promised follow up report and no longer feel sufficiently warmly about the place to plan a return visit.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank cambersberg
TitchwellManor, Owner at Titchwell Manor Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am so sorry that you had such a disappointing stay with us and I would like to respond to your points. Sadly, the switching of the wine should absolutely not have happened, the member of staff is no longer in our employment. I am truly sorry about the other issues that you encountered on the evening and can only apologise. Following comments, we are re-evaluating our staff training, including food knowledge and service standards and have already spoken to the other staff that served you that evening. I am pleased that reception gave you an appropriate discount to compensate for your disappointment, I am sorry that you were expecting a further response from myself, sadly (and again, a communication issue that is being dealt with) I did not receive your issues to deal with. If you would like to discuss it with me further, please contact me on mark@titchwellmanor.com Please see the response to your food points from Eric below. Yours sincerely, Mark (Hotel Manager).

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your meal with us, we work very hard on the menu and on the balance of flavours and I am concerned that that you found it sweet to your tastes, I accept that some of our savoury dishes are done using sweet techniques, the brie custard is a good example of this, but I have to say, it has been one of the most popular dishes in the past two years, although obviously not to everyone's taste. Your comments have been taken on board and discussed with my team. I can only only apologise for your disappointment on the beef dish, overcooked and inedible is a long way from the standards that we set ourselves. If you would like to discuss anything with me further, please do not hesitate to e-mail me, eric@titchwellmanor.com Regards, Eric (Head Chef)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Titchwell
The Hoste
#1 of 4 in Hunstanton
The Pheasant Hotel
The Pheasant Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kelling

Been to Titchwell Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!