“A dinner with friends”
Review of Taste @ Strattons

Taste @ Strattons
Reserve with OpenTable
Taste @ Strattons is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 39 Restaurants in Swaffham
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We decided to take our friends to dinner at Strattons as we heard the food was very good and we were not disappointed. Everything about Strattons is special from the welcome on arrival to the service and of course the excellent food. Maddie looked after us very well, the food was beautifully presented, hot and locally sourced. In a way it was a pity the portions were so good as we were not able to enjoy a dessert. We will certainly return, the sooner the better. I have read other reviews about Strattons and I cant believe we were dining at the same Restaurant.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

We booked this for a birthday celebration and had heard very good things about it. There is certainly a wonderful charm about the place packed with eccentric art and sculptures with the odd designer cat wandering about. This did initially worry us as my husband is allergic to cats but they kept their distance and he was ok.
If you want a drink in the bar before you eat you do have to climb some steep stairs - no lift - something to be aware of if you have older members in your party as we did.
For such a lovely place the menu is quite small with only 5 starters and 5 mains on the menu. One vegetarian choice (salted beetroot?), one fish dish, a pork chop, a posh sausage or a posh hamburger. Would have liked a bit more choice but the food was excellent and would put master chef to shame. I asked for a simple salad (not on the menu) rather than the listed chips, carrots in cinnamon or barbecued lettuce - and got a nice tasty endive salad.
The service was great and the food served with style. The wine list was extensive.
The older member of out party found it all a bit quirky but all in all a good place for a special evening as long as you are not of the steak mushroom and chips brigade. We had a pre-dinner drink, starters, mains, a bottle of wine and coffees (served with complimentary cubes of delicious lemon drizzle cake) and the bill for the three of us was £150 without the tip - which the waitress deserved.
Worth the experience!

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Had Sunday Lunch today, my first visit to Strattons.
Agree with previous review linen napkins but no sign of a tablecloth.
As to the lunch had the roast chicken, with cold veg and skinny gravy
followed by a tiny square of over sweet sticky toffee pudding in a deep cast iron black pot!
Tried it once wouldn't go again overpriced and over rated on Radio Norfolk in my humble opnion.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We had 2 dinners at strattons. Valentines set meal which was Not as good as we had hoped. The main was a very strange combination of BBQ pork and not cooked enough roast pork with a pickle on top. Despite it only being a few days ago, the rest was rather unmemorable. The couple on the next table were still hungry and went for chips after their meal.

The next one, we both had the burger, which was odd with cheese inside it which is why they want to serve it pink (so doesn't melt). It came with a small basket of really good chips and a pickle. The homemade ketchup was good, but the brown sauce didn't make the grade. I thought the burger was heavily overpriced for what it was, I couldn't finish mine as an inconsiderate table near us struck up a conversation about horsemeat in loud voices as we were being served.

The breakfast was great, nice eggs and sausage. There was lovely yogurt and nice cereal.

Two things stood out as really good, the service and the bread. The wait staff, manager and everyone in the hotel was lovely and helpful. The bread was wonderful and we had fantastic bacon sandwiches on a sweetbread one morning.

Overall, I will stay in the hotel again and have breakfast but will seek dinner somewhere else. Just an after thought before you label me a food infidel, we had an outstanding meal at Morston Hall, which I also reviewed.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We happened to be in Swaffham and I had heard Strattons was a good place to eat. It's right in the town center, but difficult to find! It was Sunday Lunch time, and on arrival there was only one other table occupied, which was initially a worry. Soon another table of 8 were seated though, and that made the atmosphere better, but still it was hardly busy. The food was very accpetable, we had roast beef, and I could see through to the kitchens and the large joint the roast meat was cut from. To be picky I could have done with a bit more meat, and as is often the case with a roast, the potatoes were leathery rather than crisp and fluffy. The meal was full of taste though and I enjoyed my dessert. The place just felt a bit "land that time forgot" and the opposite of buzzing, whatever the word for that is. There was snow on the ground, but it looked as though the small garden at the front with its huge metal statue of a stag would be very attractive in the summer.
I can't say I would be rushing back, but conversely if you are in Swaffham and looking for a nice place to eat I am sure you could do very much worse than eat here.