All reviews church clock car park creaky floorboards roast beef specials board reception area real ale huge bed the ground floor sunday lunch evening meal first floor very pleasant stay twin room short stay pudding modernisation
Selected filters
Reviewed April 7, 2019 via mobile

I visited the George with my Mum as she grew up in Swaffham and wanted to go back for old times sake. It was my first visit, and first and foremost it is such a friendly place, and this is emphasised within the hotel.

It was nice to have free parking, and the exterior of the hotel looks great. The receptionist was super friendly, and it was a nice touch to have free fruit and soft drinks in the reception area. The place did look very ‘tired’ though, and whilst a modern refurbishment might be a future plan, even simple things like new cushions on the chairs would help ... they looked about 50 years old!

Anyway, the twin room we had was functional. Again, very dated and tired. The beds seemed smaller than usual, but I have to say they were super comfortable. I had a great nights sleep. It did feel like we had stepped back in time (in comparison to hotels I’ve stayed in both in the UK and Europe), but at the same time there was something quite comforting about it.

We had a meal in the restaurant, and whilst the menu suggested ‘pub grub’ the dishes were great. I ordered a sea bass dish which was possibly the loveliest restaurant meal I’ve had for a long time. Not the cheapest but worth the money. We had visited during Mother’s Day weekend, so I think the hotel was particularly busy, and when we went to the bar it was clear there were no tables. The staff didn’t seem flustered and we were given a lovely table in the restaurant. The waiter was fantastic, and whilst there was a large party next to us, we felt that we were given equal attention despite not having booked. The staff couldn’t have been any better.

Again, we ate in the restaurant for breakfast which I thought was amazing. The waitress was so lovely, and there were loads of choices. I chose continental, but there’s a cooked breakfast menu that they clearly adapted for individual requests. I couldn’t fault it.

On booking out, again, it was extremely friendly.

I would certainly return to the hotel if I ever visit Swaffham again.

Date of stay: March 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed March 5, 2019

Rather pricey for what you get but then the only other proper hotel in town is even more expensive. If you need to stay in Swaffham this is adequate accommodation. Mention though of the good personal attention given by all staff encountered. Breakfast well presented and of high quality.

Room tip: Look at a selection.
Date of stay: February 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2019

Needed to meet someone in Swaffham for a business chat over dinner. Had one of the chef's specials (which seemed to be the only menu on offer), all fairly expensive. I had lamb chops, the chops themselves where delicious but the accompanying vegetables were very poorly cooked and really spoilt the meal. At 18.95 for just a main I would expect much better. Could not fault the service and the beer was excellent.

Date of stay: February 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed January 15, 2019 via mobile

For the 2nd time staying here we again found ourselves without internet! Again we were told it’s being sorted in the next few days we were told that in October! Bar staff were brilliant in going out of there way trying to sort it but no way could we work.
Please be aware if you need to work on laptops computers you CANT!!
I feel there should be notice that there are connection difficulties before u book online!!
Sadly we can not stay here again due to this

Date of stay: January 2019
Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed December 11, 2018 via mobile

Fantastic service from very knowledgeable staff. Food was well presented and of top quality. Excellent value for money on food and drinks. Although very busy we were served in very good time and the staff always had time for their customers if there was a query that needed sorting out.
We will definitely be returning in the future.

Date of stay: December 2018