“Tired and dated, but adequate”

Best Western George Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Swaffham
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Stayed here overnight on a business trip. The room was an ok size, but the décor was very tired and dated. When trying to have a shower in the morning, the water was either scalding hot or freezing cold. We had an evening meal in the bar, which was quite good. A good menu selection and generous portions. In summary, fine for an overnight stay, but wouldn't recommend it for a longer period. The staff were helpful. With a bit of investment to bring the rooms up to date, I think this could be a lovely country town hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Gemma A, Manager at Best Western George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Thank you for your constructive feedback following your recent stay with us.

Since taking over the hotel we continue to invest in the property and have a rolling refurbishment program in place. We pride ourselves on our levels of customer service along with good food and are working hard to improve our facilities for our guests.

We value your feedback and assure you your comments are duly noted and we endeavour to improve in areas highlighted.

Thank you again for your review and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed overnight following a party. Beds were hard as we're the pillows. Shower in bathroom literally dribbled and was useless. Had to use the bath which was not as convenient. Room above us was noisy as the floorboards creaked continuously, difficult one to solve I guess in a very old building. No coffee on our tray in bedroom. Glad it was only an overnight stop. However, breakfast was very good. Help yourself style and plenty to choose from. Staff seemed friendly too.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the new part at the rear of the hotel, it is much quieter and presumably the shower...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Andrew P, Hotel Group Operations Manager at Best Western George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Thank you for your review.

My sincere apologies for not meeting with your expectations on this occasion.

I was disappoimted to read of your unforunate stay at the George Hotel. I will pass your comments on to my two operational managers at the hotel for their comments.

Once again my since apologies.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with several members of my family at the beginning of March as we travelled to Swaffham to attend a family event. We had several rooms based in various parts of the hotel. All were larger than expected, comfortable and clean. I was booked into a single room but was allocated a nice double. However what was really noticable about the hotel was how friendly and helpful the staff were. Everyone I encountered seemed to have a vested interest in being as helpful as possible and did so very genuinely. In our short stay we interacted with bar staff, restaurant staff, breakfast staff, reception staff, and housekeeping staff, all of home shared the same attitude. I stay in various hotels several times a year but the level of service far exceeded what I expected for the star rating/price.

We had a nice meal in the restaurant in the evening. The menu was pub classics, all done well and using good quality ingredients. The breakfast menu was more extensive than antipcated, and my poached eggs were cooked promptly and perfectly. The staff were helpful when we changed tables halfway through breakfast to accomodate additonal family members.

I asked the reception staff for various miscellaneous items all of which were provided promptly with no questions asked.

I would definitely recommned this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Andrew P, Hotel Group Operations Manager at Best Western George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Many thanks for your recent positive review

I will pass this on to management and staff who will be very please to read your kind comments.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed at the George for one night for a business meeting in the area. The rooms are very tired and in need of some TLC in terms of decor, and there was a terrible draft coming throught he window. It was very cold and the radiator was not cutting it due tot he draft. I spoke to reception and they were very understanding and found a heater for straught away which helped.
The shower was more of a dribble which was disappointing but for £50 inc. breakfast it was worth it. Breakfast was a bit ropey, but all the staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Andrew P, Hotel Group Operations Manager at Best Western George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Many thanks for your recent review.

We have just recently brought this hotel and we are very hopeful we will be able to resolve all the problems and retain the hard working friendly staff.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

We checked into The George at late notice and we were given a lovely big comfy room with everything that you would need after a long drive.The price was very reasonable and the staff so friendly and helpful.. The breakfast was not brilliant but good enough .. We would come again without hesitation.

Room Tip: only saw one room at the front and that was excellent.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for your recent review.

I was pleased to read you had enjoyed your stay and that you would return again to the hotel.

I will pass this on to my management and team for their information of which I am sure they will be pleased.

Kind regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Swaffham
Strattons Hotel
#1 of 2 in Mundford
Knights Hill Hotel & Spa
Knights Hill Hotel & Spa
#3 of 15 in King's Lynn

Been to Best Western George Hotel? Share your experiences!