“Pleasurable stay, fantastic food”
Review of Strattons Hotel

Strattons Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Swaffham
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We booked a one night getaway, to purely relax and get some chillaxing time. Upon arrival customer service was excellent, and this continued throughout the whole stay including restaurant and breakfast service. We booked the stalls suite, on arrival it wasn't quite as I had imagined. The bath was too small, and it was a little too shabby sheek for me. However, it was still a nice suite just needing a little tidying up in terms of decorating. We were lucky the print room 1 was available. The print room 1 is very modern and finished to a high standard. The cinema screen in the bedroom is fab. I would thoroughly recommend.

Restaurant food was fantastic, the pre drinks, artisan breads and starters all came a little to quick, so just ask for a gap in between each. Couldn't fault the food fantastic! Service fantastic! Good choice. Great wine choice.
Breakfast, great choice, lovely food and the pear juice is fab.
Would I return, yes to the one of the print rooms.
Overall excellent, stay, food, drink and service.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank divingqueen
There are newer reviews for Strattons Hotel

Reviewed May 20, 2012

We stayed here recently for one night in one of the "print rooms" for £275 b&b (inc £15 surcharge for a baby). The room was across the garden and in a separate building to the main hotel. The staff were without exception young, inexperienced but very well meaning. The room was mostly good but unnecessarily tatty in places. Techno overload with a projection tv above the bed with ugly wires trailing all the way down to the plug at floor level. The projector screen was down the whole stay and would not retract. No wifi in the room was also strange and according to the in room notices, you have to order room service 12hours in advance and pay for it at the time!! On checking out, disappointing to see for a £275pn room does not include complimentary newspaper. We had a lunch in the cafe and breakfast in the main hotel. Generally the food was good, although not all the healthy combinations worked.

With better management, this could be a good hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank David S
Reviewed May 5, 2012

Strattons Hotel Swaffam
We checked into this lovely looking small hotel in the pouring rain. There was plenty of on-site parking close to the entrance so we didn’t get too wet. The check-in was very smooth and went well. The lady on reception was very friendly and helpful. There were no room numbers as all of the rooms appeared to be individually styled and named. The hotels décor had a quirky, shabby-chic look and was evident throughout the hotel. It was continued in our bedroom. This gave the hotel a wonderfully personalised charm. There were beautiful fresco paintings on the walls in addition to tasteful artwork on display.
Our bedroom was comfortably furnished and had a small balcony, which sadly we could not use because of the weather. The bed was comfortable and the hotels’ setting was peaceful. There did not appear to be any external noise to disturb us so we should have slept very well. However, the room fridge was very noisy as the compressor seemed to kick in every 5-10 minutes or so. On our second night I had to unplug it so that I could sleep. My wife did miss some of the little extras that are normally found in hotel bedrooms, such as tissues and biscuits. Coffee and tea were provided in the room with fresh milk in the fridge. The ground coffee, which was delicious, was by way of a cafetierre, sadly this was only big enough for a single serving in the mugs provided and we did not feel inclined to wash it out for a full cup each.
The smart dining room was situated on the lower level of the hotel. It was relatively small with an intimate feel and provided for approximately 30 diners in 2 separate areas.
The meals were excellently presented in an “a’ la carte” style and were very tasty. The waiting staff were very attentive and the service was excellent. There were 5-6 choices of starter and main course. Unfortunately the menu did not change at all for either of our 2 visits, including the soup and daily special. The wine menu appeared to have a heavy French influence with only a limited selection from the rest of the world. We both felt that a 3rd night at the hotel may have made our meal and wine selections difficult.
Breakfast was served in the dining room until 10:00am. We arrived at about 09:30 each day and it was quiet on both occasions. We were offered a choice of pear or apple juice. We had never had pear juice before so opted for that. Brilliant. I am now searching the supermarkets for it as my juice of choice. There was an impressive selection of good quality muesli and cereals. Artisan bread was toasted as required. There was an excellent choice of cooked meals on offer which catered for all preferences. It was superbly prepared and presented and was, once again excellent.
Check –out was smooth and efficient with no nasty surprises. We both enjoyed our short stay at this hotel.

Reviewed May 4, 2012

At my age I would rather forget Birthdays, but the Birthday stay at Strattons will remain with me and constantly provide positivism in my mind for years to come. I shared the time here with my wife and dog. The room was perfect, the people were 5star, and the food was even better. The ambiance and use of this lovely old group of buildings combined continental flair with Norfolk grounding and it works really well. From the decoration to the unique artwork in homely and historic settings the Hotel rings with pleasure and delights all senses. This Hotel puts people first and the rest simply tumbles into place to make it one of the most relaxing and pleasurable experiences I have enjoyed in many a year. Visit with your eyes open, and let the experience of this unique place take over

Room Tip: Cocos One ideal if you take a dog
1  Thank rightsaidfred58
Reviewed May 4, 2012

We have enjoyed a most wonderful stay at this highly creative and individual hotel tucked away in the centre of Swaffham. We were warmly welcomed on arrival and shown our spacious room CoCoes One with a soft grey décor and its own terrace, set apart from the main hotel building. It was so peaceful we quickly relaxed and settled in. The creativity of Strattons communicates itself immediately with a cleverly designed garden and flows throughout the hotel adorned with murals, trompe-l’oeil, sculptures and paintings, there is so much to absorb. It doesn’t stop there, the food is superb!! The duck pastrami was amazing with delicious layers of flavours and the rhubarb trifle had a wonderful twist on the traditional concept. I would also recommend the potent Barbie Charlie cocktail, very moorish! The owners and staff really make this hotel and we highly recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Geoscape
Reviewed April 30, 2012

This review is only for the restaurant as we only came for a meal. Me and my mum came for my 21st and wanted somewhere special to celebrate. Having always wanted to try Strattons this gave us a good excuse to. Unfortunatly I would have to give our experience a mixed review. The food was amazing!!!! I love quirky things and I absoloutly loved the chips coming in a mini chip pan and the mushy peas coming in a kilner jar. I found the service and atmosphere however a bit lacking. Although we had booked for a specific time there was no one to greet us. I actually had to pop my head round the kitchen door to make us known. I would of understood if the place had been busy but there was just one other table in the restaurant dining. Once the woman (who i could only assume was the restaurant manager) acknowledged us she was very friendly and showed us to some tables to choose from, well two to be precise as the others hadnt actually been set up. Maybe im being picky but it looked like they hadnt finshed getting ready.
Between courses the food took an incredilby long time to get to us. As ive already stated there was only one other table so i dont really know what the hold up was. It would of been nice if the waitress who brought our food could of acknowledged this and apologised for it.

Im hoping that we just caught them on a bad night because the food really is amazing and it would be a shame if the front of house let the kitchen down.

Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 28, 2012

We stayed in the red room end April 2012 on a break which included breakfast and dinner. A very quirky eclectic mix of furnishings and decor, we had an open fire in the room and we were supplied with logs and coke for our use at no extra charge. The hotel had the washed out distressed furniture look which I think (hope) the owners were aiming at. The evening meal menu was very good all fresh produce and locally sourced, no complaints only compliments. Breakfast again lovely the bread was baked on the premises, excellent.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swaffham
Congham Hall Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Heacham
Broom Hall Country Hotel
Broom Hall Country Hotel
#1 of 1 in Saham Toney

Been to Strattons Hotel? Share your experiences!