“Iceni Village , what a huge disappointment !”
Review of Iceni Centre - CLOSED

Iceni Centre
More attraction details
Owner description: The Iceni Centre is a recently refurbished private collection of historic buildings, artifacts and farm implements in a beautiful, remote and rural setting. Visitors need to be aware that the old replica Iceni Village itself was in disrepair and was criticised extensively on Tripadvsor. It has been demolished. All our literature makes this totally clear. This should not detract from your visitor experience as we now have much, much more to explore and discover.
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Saw road sign for this village. Thought would learn the history of Norfolk . Nothing in the Museum was from the period . When we queried why there was nothing on the Iceni period at the end of our visit , we were told that the owner had removed all the items and was changing the displays. We registered our disappointment and even asked for our money back but doubt if that would happen. We left thinking we had been conned by a displays off 19th farm equipment. The Giant needed a better display so you could see the size of the skeleton. Generally poorly laid out , no descriptions. Avoid at all costs

6  Thank Anne L

Reviewed April 18, 2014

I took my family to visit the iceni village today as I had memories from going as a child. Only after paying £18 to get in did we discover that the village has been dismantled and all there was to see we're a few piles of rusting agricultural equipment. I'm horrified that the owner feels comfortable conning families in this way.

7  Thank Rosie T
Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

My wife had been yearning to revisit the Iceni village which she had been taken to as a child when it was still harbouring some of the Beaker Folk.

After a long drive, we arrived at the advertised location to find no sign of it at all. After vainly looking for it, we decided that the most likely site was accessed from a driveway marked 'no entry'. We found what was left of the village there. Had it been sacked by legionaries, its bucolic ambience marred by cries of pain, the ground stained with iron age blood?

No. It had been closed down. A chappie from the Cocley Cley estate suggested that it would reopen at Easter. This may have been optimistic given the mess we saw.

4  Thank LaurenceMann
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I have visted the Village many times over my life and it holds a special place in my heart.
The green heads above the entrance shows that some people still have a sense of humour, which is also seen in the 'snake pit'. No, its not the most acurate or entertaining place, but you're paying less than £10, so don't expect the world. The museum does have some interesting points if you like norfolk history or farming.

What the Iceni Village really is, is a good old fashioned family day out! A day to spend in the sunshine, have a nice walk around the norfolk countryside and cap it off with a picnic! Shame that people today complain when something requires an ounce of imagination.

4  Thank Lizzy037
See more reviews
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Having passed the sign to the Iceni Village many times and promised myself that one day I would turn off the A1065 to pay a visit, as I am very interested in history and archaeology, I did so recently. As the sun was shining from a blue sky I decided to look at the outdoor attractions before entering the museums. Well, what can one say about the actual village. Not a lot, I fear. There was a round house, a long house, a grain store, a nailed-down drawbridge and a sort of wooden watch tower that was roped off and looked as though it might fall down any moment.

Next, armed with my binoculars and camera, I went on the so-called Nature Trail around a lake which is supposed to have an island that is accessible via a sort of causeway. Nature consisted of a 5 footwall of thistles with seed heads and other weeds. I could not see or smell any water, let alone the birds I was told I could see when I paid my £5 (concessionary, otherwise £6 for an adult). The entrance to the causeway and another shorter one into the lake indicated on the "map" were overgrown and could not be made out. The only wildlife consisted of a solitary male Common Darter dragonfly that sought solace on a bench.

I was so incensed at having been taken for a ride that I did not bother to look more closely at the exhibits in the museums which I had glanced at on my trip to the toilets. When I told the young woman at reception about the state of the nature trail and that I felt I had been ripped off she informed me that the owner of the place had instructed a man two days before to cut the weeds with a strimmer. I suppose that was all right then.

The Iceni Village might be fun for under school-age children who have never visited the castle at Stansted Mountfitchet..

3  Thank Rosiedarling