“Not made to feel welcome at all”

Market Cross Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 37 Restaurants in Swaffham
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Not made to feel welcome at all”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and I stopped off for lunch here on the way home from a holiday in Norfolk. We had our 6 month old son with us. When we arrived I asked if we could sit at a bigger table out of the way with our buggy and was told in a very grumpy way I couldn't sit there as that was where the staff sat to do their paperwork. The staff were very unfriendly - even complaining that our buggy was in the way of the board with the menu on (it wasn't). The food was very average, £7.25 for pasta bake, just pasta and tomato sauce really was over priced, even the coke was flat. I explained I was disappointed with the meal and the waitress didn't seem to care!

Visited September 2012
5 Thank Lulubarnett

Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
“Lovey decor, reasonable food”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Stopped here on our way home from holiday. Had a wander round the town and this place seemed the most appealing. Lovely cosy decor and warm welcome from staff. Everyone opted for sandwiches and there was a good selection. Slightly on the pricey side - three adult sandwiches and three children's portions, plus fizzy drinks came to £49.00 which felt a lot for a quick bite. Quality was good though. We actually moved inside half way through after being bothered by wasps and I'm glad we did because the interior was charming.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Laura G
Norfolk, United Kingdom
“Please remember a smile costs nothing!”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I first tried this little place two years ago and the service was dire, they deigned to allow us to patronise their establishment albeit with almost palpable horror that a child was entering the building but were obviously not so happy to be of any service. The menu was so obscure we settled for coffees and cakes which were stale at best ( at least I hoped they were as if they were fresh and tasted that way....) After two years I recently tried to give the place a second shot after all anywhere can have a bad day.... but the paper reading waitress was still not all that happy to serve, the cake had not been stale they are just not so great (or it was stale again!!!) and the menu is still random.... no wonder my party has been the only patrons both times! It is such a pitty though as the building and decor is beautiful and the basic idea for a cafe come restaurant is excellent....

Visited June 2012
3 Thank KatyGulliver
Thornton-Cleveleys
“Homely & welcoming”
Reviewed June 23, 2012

An idillic cottage restaurant, excellent service & staff. The menu & food upon it is second to none. Well done to everyone concerned with the Market Cross, your a touch of class!

1 Thank JohnWhiteman
Derry, United Kingdom
“Excellent for either lunch or dinner, business or pleasure”
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Have been here a few times and have had a consistently excellent experience each time. The food is simple yet exquisite and comes in ample portions and a good selection. The staff are very attentive and the setting is fantastic in the square. I highly recommend this quaint spot for any visitor or passer-by. Also, if visiting on business, the setting, atmosphere and layout are perfect for those quiet conversations and securing those difficult deals.
Well done to all the staff.

• Visited July 2011