“Excellent weekend break :) x”

The Horse and Groom
Ranked #2 of 6 Swaffham B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Fantastic weekend spent at this very friendly, homely B&B. Both Richard and Trudy made our weekend away (for our wedding anniversary) very special. The building was very clean, and full of character. On an evening time we ate at the horse and groom and the food was exceptional. With dietary needs (coeliac) this was catered for with much confident from the chef Richard, with total understanding about the illness...which in tow made the weekend complete as I could eat and relax knowing I wasn't going to be ill. Bless them they even got me G/F bread and Heinz baked beans so I could have the breakfast which I will add was super. Nothing was too much trouble. Fresh towels and a morning clean in your room, which is usually only hotels which do this. Highly recommend the horse and groom for that perfect break.....thanks Richard and Trudy we will see you very soon

Room Tip: We stayed in room number 6. But we did have a look round the other rooms and all very clean,fresh a...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed for 1 night when in the area on business. Owners were on holiday and the front door was locked on arrival with a number tacked to the door to ring so somebody would come and let guests in. Paid for room only as I am away early before breakfast, price seemed reasonable and on arrival it could be seen why, basic metal beds like you normally get in cheap student accomodation, battered wooden chair, very old TV, rail tacked under a shelf to hang clothes on instead of a wardroabe. Common areas realy need sprucing up. In general it all looks dated and ready for a good overhall!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Neal T
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Stayed for two nights in a family room at the end of August.
We were told the owners were on their annual holidays, this was mentioned at the start of all replies to any question asked.
Only one person working who carried out every and all duties.
Breakfast was edible but not good £7.00 for a full English with a Tea or Coffee, £5.00 for cereal & toast. Asda is opposite & this is where it appeared the produce is sourced (High prices for low costing goods). same price for adult or a child. (no child option). Evening meals were not available, I am guessing one of the owners is the cook.
The Rooms were clean & comfortable.
The common areas have pieces of carpet missing and are in need of redecoration.
It is the first time I have stayed where all the staff complain more than the guest.
Basil & Sybil, when you return from your Holiday. I hope your experience was better than ours.
For anyone interested in what you get for your £7.00 A Full English consisted of a fried egg, 2 rashers of bacon, sausage, beans, 2 very small mushrooms & tinned tomatoes, Tea or Coffee.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not overlooking the very busy main road at the front of the property.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank David G
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed here on a weekend away with our 2 children. Very warm welcome by Trudy who showed us to the family room we had booked . Lovely double aspect room. Spacious and comfortable and welcoming. Bathroom lovely and fresh and clean with good shower. Our double bed was really comfy and we had a good nights sleep. We ate dinner in the restaurant and the food was plentiful, delicious and served piping hot. Everybody was very friendly when we went through to the bar afterwards. We ordered a full English breakfast for the morning and Richard the chef didn't let us down. Another delicious meal which really set us up for the day. The building itself is very old so very characterful and the various dips in floor levels add to its charm. To sum up , this is a great place to eat and stay. A true family run business, very clean, the whole building smells fresh and well aired. Pity we weren't staying longer to sample the Sunday carvery! Thanks for a great stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in the family room but if there are only two people, then there is also a lovely quirky ro...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Debbie E
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here the night before a Wedding arrived quite late and was relieved at the chance of a drink or two at the bar before bed. Cosy family run B&B where we were made to feel very welcome, rooms where clean and quirky decor was part of the charm. Really good nights sleep and good breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Thegalleryrestaurant
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Very clean room with good facilities and friendly staff, all at a good price and very close to the town.
But the shower broke on my 1st night of my stay, I had to go out early so rang the Inn at 10am to tell them the shower did not work, they said they were sorry and would try and fix it but when I got back that evening no one had been to look at it, so it was not fixed, I stayed a further night and still not fixed, No call, No message to say it cant be fixed, I was just left to make do when the weather was extremely hot during my stay, so you can imagine how I felt like. in there defense, The owner was on holiday and it seemed the head chef was managing everything, so it must have been a difficult time for them. I would stay again if i was in the area.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Lovely little hotel. Trudi cannot do enough to make you feel welcome the same goes for the locals in the bar downstairs. The rooms are clean which is the main thing I want when staying in a hotel. Yes some of the rooms are smallish but you have to appreciate that the building is very old and wonky :-) Breakfast (which was very nice and much bigger than the cafe down the road) is on top of the room price but for what you pay this balances out on other room rates at other hotels. Perfect location for visiting the local area. We will definitely being staying again when we come back to visit family.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Emma912
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swaffham
Best Western George Hotel
#3 of 7 in Dereham
No photo provided
Lydney House
#3 of 6 in Swaffham

Been to The Horse and Groom? Share your experiences!