“Very pleasant evening”

Nico Italian Restaurant
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Remember When Cafe Swaffham, specialises in English traditional homebaked food. All our food is prepared and cooked on site. We have a selection of specialist teas and fresh ground coffee.
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My wife and were staying near Swaffham while on a short break holiday. We went up on our last night to look for somewhere to eat as there was only one option in the little village which was our base.
Having eaten at an excellent Russian restaurant in the town earlier in the week we wanted something different. In the main area there seemed to be only pub and ethnic food to choose from and we were not in the mood for either. We spotted Nicos and although I am fairly ambivalent about Italian Restaurants, back home at least, we decided we better plump for somewhere. As is sometimes the case with unplanned choices, luckily this turned out well for us.
We were greeted in a very friendly manner and seated immediately. The restaurant is small with a very cosy and relaxed atmosphere.
We had mixed garlic mushrooms, olives, mixed salad and lovely garlic bread to start. All very tasty. My wife had a recommended house wine which she judged to be delicious. I had a bottle of the ubiquitous Peroni.
My wife's main was a baked aubergine dish which she said was fresh tasting and delicious. It certainly was a generous portion. I had a fillet of sea bass served on a bed of courgettes in batter and with a light butter and lemon sauce. Perfectly cooked very large fillet of bass accompanied by tasty sautéed potatoes made for a delicious dish. A good espresso and a limoncello each rounded off the meal.
Perhaps a little expensive compared to other options in the square but then again what can you do about the price of good fish.
The food, service and relaxed atmosphere made for one of those very pleasant evenings that quite simply works. We will be back in the area and Nicos is on our list to eat when we are.

There are newer reviews for Nico Italian Restaurant

Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Honestly I couldn't give a big enough compliment to this place! We first visited a few weeks ago when my grandmother was unwell in the hospital close to swaffham, we were greeted and served by the owner ( a lovely man) my grand pa and mum soon became regulars and have visited at least 5 times in the last week, always having something different and always leaving impressed. Friday last we call one hour before to book a table for 15 of my family members after my grandmothers funeral and I couldn't believe how accommodating and lovely they were!! Nothing was to much and the owner bent over backwards to be kind and helpful even though as a restaurant manager myself i know big tables can be tough and sometimes a pain in the butt (tripadvisor stopped me using the word I would have) if we were im sorry and it was still amazing and we were all treated so well. Although we no longer have need to be in swaffham we will visit it just to come here as often as we can!! Thank you so much for being so lovely to my grandpa!!Everyone in swaffham should come here, it's truly a jem

2  Thank nugget9
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed for four days in this area and trying to find decent food was a real chore. Fortunately, after fleeing from another establishment we drove to Swaffham and chanced upon Nico's. Great food, great ambience and great service by an excellent waiter.

2  Thank Stephen H
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We had a truly lovely meal, friendly service, pleasant surroundings and delicious food. We will certainly be returning.

1  Thank JessicaCrimplesham
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Swaffham visit for the first time decided to eat in here absolutely amazing friendly staff and outstanding food friend were so lovely welcomed us lovely! Would defo recommended and return!!
Thanks for a lovely evening from me and my family!