“Excellent Value Hotel”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in North Walsham
Harpenden, United Kingdom
“Excellent Value Hotel”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We loved staying at this hotel in the Lord Nelson Suite for our 15th Wedding Anniversary. We found all of the staff to be very helpful especially as I was arranging the surprise for my husband. The rooms were very clean and well presented and the hotel is set in attractive grounds. We dined in the the conservatory restaurant and were very surprised at the quality considering there was only 2 other couples staying that night. We had a starter and the carvery and everything was very tasty, looked good and not over cooked. We will definitely be returning as the cooked breakfasts were excellent and tasted fantastic. The only minus is that the hotel is a bit out of the way so if you have a drink with dinner you will need a taxi as there is not much locally.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Cromer, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Have never stayed at the Hotel but often go for lunch as they offer a good Carvery at a very reasonable price. Nice Conservatory dining room in very nice grounds. Also good venue for a wedding. On the minus side there always seems to be a change of staff so no continuity

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Beccles, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2013

If you like the sanitised, homogenised, boring same old, same old national chain of hotels ( the ones that Lennie Henry likes) then don't bother coming to Scarborough Hill Hotel.

On the other hand if you like quirky, individual with a certain charm and individuality then this is the place for you. It's in a wonderful location where you can wake up to bird song and have n early morning stroll around the grounds. The atmosphere in the bars is great with sofas, real fires and real ales. The food was good and offered excellent value for money. The staff were very friendly, helpful and accommodating for the needs of my dad who has Parkinson's.

We will be back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here after previously visiting for the superb Sunday carvery and found the location very convenient for visiting family.
We came up with very little notice for a family funeral and we were put up with no fuss no bother, which was very much appreciated at a very stressful time.
The hotel is a very attractive building with plenty of parking and in a lovely setting.
The staff we had dealings with were very professional.
When in Norfolk we had stayed previously at the Sea Marge ( see my review) and we were not especially happy with it, if and when we come up again we will definitely stay here.

• Stayed December 2012
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Looks nice from outside, arrived at reception, no one there, I could hear people talking what I think was the kitchen. I waited a few minutes listening to the muffled conversation comming from the kitchen and decided to go to the bar and ask to be booked in. The young man said he would get the receptionist for me, guess where from. The kitchen. A man came from the kitchen in a what would have once been a white shirt but now a shade of grey, not a good look and I'm not just talking about the shirt. Booked me in, room 3, yes it's clean, and that's all it is, a mustard colour on the walls with dated furniture. The bathroom is awfully with a pathetic excuse for a shower. The room was that morbid that there is a picture on the wall of a young women, I felt sorry for her being hung in that room. Went down for breakfast. Talking comming from the kitchen, after a couple of minutes the same man appears from the kitchen from the night before to take my order, T and brown toast. What seemed like an eternity and lots of muffled chit chat he appears again with a T pot, no toast just a T pot. Then disappears into the kitchen. I finish my cereal off and drink my orange juice and leave without making a cup of Tea and without any toast. What a joke. Some people shouldn't have jobs where there is interaction with customers.

Room Tip: Not room 3
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Saywhatisee
norwich
Reviewed January 19, 2013

My mum and I stayed at this hotel for a party in north walsham in their only twin room. the room was spacious, beds really comfy and all very clean. the setting is amazing and it is a beautiful building. The breakfast was lovely but we were disappointed that there were no veggie sausages or bacon......should really have these options in this day and age. things to change: The bathroom really let it down, it was dated, a broked vent in the window, lots of black in and around the tiles and terrribly small. When we were leaving reception was not manned and there was no bell so stood there for ages before someone passed by to help us, a bell would rectify this! Having said that, we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2013

This hotel has a charming exterior set in idyllic grounds and is ideally located for tourism in North Norfolk. Unfortunately, it is rather run down and desperately needs some tender, loving care which could be rectified without major expense. I can sympathize with owners who are on a tight budget during these austere times, but after all, this is a commercial enterprise and if the essential faults could be rectified I would imagine that the very cheap price for a night's accommodation could be slightly tweaked upwards. Now for my experience:

I came to the North Walsham area due to family commitments and stayed two nights at the hotel. It had been booked for me because of its convenience, four star rating and reasonable price. I was given Room 4 and, as I was a late arrival, it was only when I began unpacking and was preparing to go to bed that I first noticed a number of things. The bathroom was a total disaster with peeling paint, black gunge all around the floor and in the bath. The floor had some kind of plastic carpeting which "rocked and rolled" when one stepped on it and the toilet was rather temperamental in functioning. When I attemped to have a shower in the bath, which incidentally had no proper guard rail at the right height, the shower head either dribbled practically nothing or came out either boiling hot or stone cold. The duty manager very kindly came up to attempt to fix it and I think he rather burnt his hand, although he was too professional to mention it. I didn't attempt a shower on the second night. By the way, a very small point about the bathroom; it had the avocado green fitments that were popular some fifty years ago. I should know!

The wallpaper in my bedroom was peeling in various places and when I went to the window to open it a bit, it was in an appalling state with blackened frames and rather dirty. The telephone had no proper information around it and there was no booklet in any drawer. It was also put in an inconvenient place across the room as opposed to one of the sides of the bed, which is normal practice. There was one rickety lamp on each bedside table and no central switch for turning off the overhead lights.

In the morning I tried to make a cup of normal instant coffee, but there wasn't one to be had, only the decaffeinated type being in abundance. I did ask later for a former packet for the next morning and, although the staff were not sure they had any, they did manage to find some.

Now for the positive side of the story - The bed linen was impeccably clean as were the towels. The bed was rather springy and old but didn't sag at all. There were more than enough pillows which seemed to be odourless. The television was modern and seemed to work well, even though in my case I hardly used it.

The staff were all most helpful and polite and the breakfast I had each morning was well presented and the coffee and orange juice pleasant.

So, there you are. The experience was, as the Chinese say, "interesting". The price is wonderful, the setting fantastic, the intrinsic charm of it invaluable and the staff helpful, but there are major fault lines to staying there. Please, please, whoever owns it, DO SOMETHING!

P.S. Just so you know, in the past I have worked as a "mystery guest". But not this time.

M. London

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first. I have not seen other rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
#2 of 7 in Cromer
The Old Rectory Hotel
The Old Rectory Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crostwick

Been to Scarborough Hill Country Inn? Share your experiences!